News from the Genie - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

News from the Genie

Moderator: Football Moderators

News from the Genie

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:34 pm

Hey folks... had some news to share with you. It is with very mixed emotions that I tell you I resigned from Yahoo! a week or so ago; my last day here is August 13th. This wasn't an easy decision for me at all. I don't want to go all "It's not you, it's me", but that is really the case here. I've been at Yahoo! for 10 1/2 years, and working on Yahoo! fantasy sports for about 7. I'm extremely passionate about the product and my work. And that is mostly a good thing, but it means my life becomes very... intense, and over time I build up a lot of stress. After 7 years of it, and being *so* invested in the product, I was realizing that every day there was something (or things...) making me angry and frustrated, and that just isn't how I want to live my life. It also isn't how my family wanted me to live my life, I assure you heh

So I'm stepping away. I'm not going to a competitor, and in fact I'm not going to another software job at all. I still have very positive feelings about Yahoo!, the fantasy sports product, and the people I leave behind. Part of what makes me at peace with my decision is that I know I'm leaving you all in good hands. The engineers here are solid, and the team is growing all the time. I'm not saying there won't be a bump here or there, but I'd urge you to be patient; these guys will make it worth your while.

I've done a lot of things here I'm proud of, but one of the things I am most proud of is the relationship I've helped to build between Yahoo! and the Cafe' community. It has been a tremendous help to Yahoo! Fantasy Sports, and hopefully you guys have received a lot in return. Everyone here sees the value in that, and nobody wants that to end. I may participate in the Cafe' as a fantasy player rather than a Y! employee, but another Y! will be stepping in to pick up our presence here on the Cafe'. This was important to me, and everyone agreed 100%. His account here is Guy Smiley:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... e&u=345721

While he hasn't been posting here, he has definitely been lurking, and watching the discussions I have with you all. He'll be subject to some of the same limits and constraints I was, but otherwise will be here to listen to your concerns and answer questions as he's able. He'll be posting here shortly, so I'll let him do any further intro.

Thanks for everything, and 6 years of mutually beneficial interaction. The Cafe' is a pretty special place; a discussion forum on the Internet where people actually (for the most part ;-) ) discuss what they're supposed to be discussing and act civil. I've enjoyed e-meeting so many of you, and actually meeting a few of you at the recent Yahoo!/Cafe' get together here at our headquarters. Keep up the good work. As I actually have more time to pay attention to my own fantasy teams, I'll need all the help I can get.

Sincerely and gratefully yours,
Dave, a.k.a. The Fantasy Sports Genie

P.S. As a parting gift, you'll find that I changed the watchlist to now hold 100 players rather than 50. Alas, you'll also find that I fixed the bug that was letting you add an unlimited number of players as long as you did it from the mobile app. The relationship goes both ways ;-) And for the record, this didn't happen because any particular user decided to take an... aggressive approach to requesting the feature. That actually delayed the release of it, quite frankly. One of the Cafe' guys that came to the get-together here at HQ asked for it in a positive and constructive way, and caught me in a good mood. Catching more flies with honey than vinegar, and all that. Enjoy!
Fantasy Sports Genie
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: News from the Genie

Postby m16a » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:51 pm

Genie, saw your post over on the baseball side. I know you're not quite as involved here, but we all really appreciate the work that you did. I'm glad you guys still have a presence here, and I know I can speak for all of us when I say best wishes, and don't make yourself a stranger. Always gonna be an open seat for ya at the Cafe table. ;-D
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 47)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dream_017 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:54 am

Genie you have been a big help to the Cafe community over the years. Even though we haven't seen eye to eye on a number of subjects (I'm not a huge fan of the Yahoo Fantasy experience) you have been more then helpful in giving your insight and background into the hows and whys things are happening the way they do, and for that we are all very grateful ;-D

Hope you will continue to visit and hang out with our little group. Good luck to whatever the future holds for you.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:16 pm

m16a wrote:Genie, saw your post over on the baseball side. I know you're not quite as involved here, but we all really appreciate the work that you did. I'm glad you guys still have a presence here, and I know I can speak for all of us when I say best wishes, and don't make yourself a stranger. Always gonna be an open seat for ya at the Cafe table. ;-D

So hopefully this is something Guy can help with. I'll confess football isn't my game of choice. I really didn't follow it at all until I started working on Yahoo! Fantasy Sports. I'm more of a basketball and baseball guy. But beyond that, the Football Cafe' seems less Yahoo-oriented than the others. If there was interest and feedback here, I would have been here, there just usually wasn't. But I never knew quite how to fix that, and some of that may have been because I'm not as football-brained. Guy is more of a football fan than I am, and he may be able to better bridge the interests here with our product.

dream_017 wrote:Genie you have been a big help to the Cafe community over the years. Even though we haven't seen eye to eye on a number of subjects (I'm not a huge fan of the Yahoo Fantasy experience) you have been more then helpful in giving your insight and background into the hows and whys things are happening the way they do, and for that we are all very grateful ;-D

Hope you will continue to visit and hang out with our little group. Good luck to whatever the future holds for you.

I'd imagine I will still be around as a member of the community. As a fantasy player I can use plenty of help ;-) And while of course I wish everyone used and liked Yahoo!, the people that don't like Yahoo! are often at least as interesting. More room to learn and improve.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 4)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:12 pm

This has to be seen by a yahoo employee.

The new format will take some getting used to, but it might not be absolutely horrendous, except that Brandon Funston's big board has a prominent place on the "League Home" page. This is somewhat obnoxious in its own right, but is utterly ludicrous in light of the fact that the board hasn't been updated since Jun 27th. It's already too late for anyone to use this as a drafting tool unless it will be updated in the next 48 hours and somebody has a really late draft, but it can at least be moved from the "league home" page if it's not going to be updated. Yahoo services tens of millions of fantasy players and they are prominently featuring an outdated big board during the most critical time of year to have a good one. Pretty embarrassing and pathetic. I know it's not your fault genie, but this is something that should have noise made about it.

Edit: For what it's worth, it sure would be nice to have the standings in the most prominent place on the league page, with the matchups relegated to the right hand side currently being occupied by the draft report cards and Funston's out of date big board.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 11)

Postby daullaz » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:05 am

FYI, I think the Big Board that's being displayed on each league's page has been updated, while the link to the "Full Big Board" is linking to an extremely old article, as CBM said. For instance, Alfred Morris isn't in the one that I think has been updated, while he's sixth or seventh in the full link. And Stevan Ridley, who was in the 20s in the link, is 12th or so on the league page big board.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)

Return to Football Talk