Friends and Family As New Owners: Problem? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Friends and Family As New Owners: Problem?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Friends and Family As New Owners: Problem?

Postby TomBrooklyn » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:58 am

In a league formed over the internet, where the owners have no other personal connection to each other; when bringing new team owners into a league to fill any spots vacated from the prior year; one of the best sources to find those new owners can be to ask the existing owners if they know anybody that would like to join the league.

One result of that is that the new owner they suggest could be a close friend or family member of theirs.

Is this ever likely or possible to lead to problems when a couple of owners are close friends or family members and the rest of the league are not connected outside the internet?
TomBrooklyn Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Friends and Family As New Owners: Problem?

Postby Schierup1987 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:30 am

It could be but I have many leagues were people know each other and other have never met. I find as long as the commissioner is doing his job and the rules are laid out well it doesn't matter if you have friend or family I have a few leagues where wives and husbands play, friend of friends play and or co workers. My trading process is that the league votes on trades and half the league needs to veto a trade, but to date (10 years) I have never had a issue with this type of format.

And I have 10 leagues and 90% are owners off the message boards to start, hope this helps
Schierup1987
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Friends and Family As New Owners: Problem?

Postby FF For Life » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:14 am

I agree with the other response, if the LM is doing their job then no worries. In my league that I'm the LM 5 out of the 10 don't know anyone else (including myself) in the league. 2 of them are good friends with each, I'm friends with two owners who are Dad and son and live in the same house. Trades have to be approved and I monitor all trades and/waivers drops and pickup also.
MY TEAM:
10 team 4 keeper PPR league: (Starters in bold)
QB:Brees,Rivers
RB: A.Peterson. Sproles, Murray (flex), DeAngelo Williams
WR: Julio Jones, Cruz,Garcon, Jeffrey, Douglas, ROyal
TE: Witten
K: Tucker
DEF:Carolina
FF For Life
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Commissioner's Corner