Bench Strategy - What Positions Do You Fill On Your Bench? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Bench Strategy - What Positions Do You Fill On Your Bench?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby pdmike1 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:07 pm

Let's' say the team structure is: QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R/T, K, DEF, BN,BN,BN,BN,BN,BN.

What is the best strategy for selecting your BENCH players? Should you go QB, WR, RB, TE, K, DEF on the bench, having one slot for each of your active positions? Or should you concentrate on the more important positions (QB, RB, WR and TE) and double up on several of those, not having ANY position on your bench for K or DEF?
pdmike1
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Bench Strategy - What Positions Do You Fill On Your Benc

Postby Gibbs Baby!!! » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:26 pm

You'll ge ta variety of answers here, but, for me personally, I prefer to have a backup at each position. During bye weeks and in case of injury, this is a good strategy. Of course, if it's a 10 team league, you would likely be able to pick up a decent backup team D, not so much in a 16 team league. So the amount of teams in the league comes into play.

Now, during the draft, I tend to stick with the best player available strategy, but I do like to wind up with as many backups at each position as there are starters. But I'm flexible, and will go for a quality backup RB over a backup K any day.
"We couldn’t do diddley poo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass - we sucked." ~ James Ernest Mora
Gibbs Baby!!!
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 444)

Postby Mr.Joshua » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:42 pm

Yep, everyone has their own strategy, mine is to not take back-ups at QB, D and K. I wouldn't take a back up TE either if I had a top 5 guy, I only would if some one with great value fell and I could start a te in the flex. Also, try not to grab a K and D with early bye weeks. This buys you some extra time to make that move when you need to and allows you to add/drop on your qb bye week. Fill those bench spots with rb and wr's, you could end up with a real steal. Cobb was taken really late in my main league last year ;-D
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 233)

Postby murphysxm » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:07 pm

Load up on upside. If I am weak at TE or QB, I will grab a back up at each spot, but otherwise I don't do back ups there. I don't draft a K or Def unless league rules require it. My post draft bench is all RB's and WR's and I trim down and adjust as I get closer to week 1,
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 238)

Postby CloudOrchestra » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:06 am

murphysxm wrote:Load up on upside. If I am weak at TE or QB, I will grab a back up at each spot, but otherwise I don't do back ups there. I don't draft a K or Def unless league rules require it. My post draft bench is all RB's and WR's and I trim down and adjust as I get closer to week 1,

This is what I do for the most part. I don't see any reason to draft a backup kicker or defense. If I'm drafting before the preseason is over and I see a player who is a potential sleeper in the last round, I might not even draft a kicker. Then I'll watch the remaining preseason games to decide which player to keep and which to drop for a kicker for the week 1 game.

If I have a QB who is an injury risk, I'll usually draft a backup. But typically, my entire bench is WRs and RBs.
CloudOrchestra
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby bluejet24 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:53 am

It really depends on how the draft plays out.. I'd try to at least draft 5 RBs if not 6
bluejet24
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 17)

Postby danopkt » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:18 am

It depends slightly on how many teams are in the league, but with positions like that, I never go with a backup K or D/ST and almost never have a backup TE. I'll usually grab 1 backup QB and the rest RB / WR.

For K and D/ST especially, there's usually pretty decent waiver wire options, so I think there's a lot more value in using those picks to go after players with higher upside.
danopkt
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JerseyBearsGuy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:07 am

I agree.

I never get a backup K or D. And like it was stated before, target the later bye weeks for these positions if possible, and if not, no big deal.

If you are waiting till the last or 2nd to last round to grab a K, then you can prob just drop that K for another K on the bye week anyway. Same could be held true for D, only if you didn't get that 'stud' unit with a mid round pick.

Def stock up on the RB & WR depth, you can never have too many!! ;-D
A. Luck, M. Vick
A. Morris, S. Ridley, D. Williams, L. Miller, W. Mcgahee
B. Marshall, Julio Jones, S. Smith, S. Johnson, E. Royal, M. Brown
J. Thomas, G. Olsen
D. Bailey
Minnesota
JerseyBearsGuy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Response Team
(Past Year: 173)

Postby mth010291 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:39 am

Everyone has a different strategy, but mine is all about the running backs. I just had a draft today and ended up with foster, Trent richardson, daryl richardson, rashard mendenhall, and montee ball. I still got good receivers, but I like running 2 number 1 running backs and a solid starter in my flex. In my opinion, running backs are far more consistent in fantasy land then receivers. I like having plenty around for injury and bye weeks, and because they run so thin in this league people have already been pushing trades to me, so I say stock the bench with rbs!
mth010291
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby FireGoodell » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:42 pm

pdmike1 wrote:Let's' say the team structure is: QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R/T, K, DEF, BN,BN,BN,BN,BN,BN.

What is the best strategy for selecting your BENCH players? Should you go QB, WR, RB, TE, K, DEF on the bench, having one slot for each of your active positions? Or should you concentrate on the more important positions (QB, RB, WR and TE) and double up on several of those, not having ANY position on your bench for K or DEF?

What's W/R/T? Anyway I play in a standard 12 team league which start 1 qb 2 rb's 3 wr's, Te, D and Kicker, with only 5 bench spots, you only have 6 so you are in a similar situation. In almost all cases all five bench spots are taken up by wr's and rb's. I usually try to get a QB that I feel is a top 1-6 guy, and in those cases I never take a backup QB, ever. I simply pick up a QB off waivers when his bye week comes up. I see people do this all the time.. they'll take Tom Brady and then in round 7 they'll take Russell Wilson. They wasted a pick, period. I would say the one QB on my six teams this year I'm the least sure will be elite is Kap', and I didn't even back him up, I figure at worst he'll be a top 8-9 guy and that's fine in a 12 team league. Also, I almost never back up the te position. I take a te in my draft and that's it. If he doesn't work out I'll pounce on a guy on waivers early in the season that I feel will be good and if that doesn't work out I'll simply play match ups each week at the te position. It should go without saying I also never take a backup D or kicker of course.

I feel my bench spots are best served by stashing rb's and wr's. I've been playing FF since 1993 when you had to get your stats out of an actual newspaper and there was no online fantasy football. I've tried many different strategies as far as my bench goes and that strategy has worked out best for me. You can never have too many rb's, they all take a beating and are more susceptible that any other position to getting hurt. My bench usually consist of 3 rb's and two wr's. Although if I feel I am very strong at rb with a good #3 rb I will switch that up sometimes depending on the value available by having 2 rb's and 3 wr's on my bench. In your case with 6 spots I would probably end up with 4 rb's and 2 wr's most drafts, while others would be evenly split 3 and 3.
FireGoodell
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Beginner's Forum