Your favorite 2013 late-round fliers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Your favorite 2013 late-round fliers

Moderator: Football Moderators

Your favorite 2013 late-round fliers

Postby Mizou » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:06 pm

Hey all. I recall last year stumbling upon a thread like this, which ended up helping me late in my draft, as I acquired some good depth for when my starting receivers went down. I figured it would be great to start it up again.

I don't have many that I'm too sure of, but Rueben Randle, WR, Giants is one of my favorites, as is Golden Tate of the Seahawks.

For RBs, they're not exactly late-late rounders, but I find myself selecting one of the main three handcuff backs (Bryce Brown, Ben Tate, and Bernard Pierce) as a lottery ticket type fairly often.

How about you guys? Who are your late-round darlings? Have you found the next CJ Spiller or Alfred Morris?
Mizou
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Your favorite 2013 late-round fliers

Postby Cuffs » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:57 pm

I got Kembrell Thomkins in round 16 of a 12 team league and am happy with that pick (didn't draft a kicker, so I'll have to drop someone before game 1, but I'm betting it won't be Thomkins.)
Cuffs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 35)

Postby wtr23 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:17 pm

I still think Stacy is gonna get some carries in at RB. Even if DRich has the starting job I'd like to think he gets a handful of carries, hoping he lands the starting job sometime midseason. Not exactly a breakout candidate, but I'll take him in the 14th round and beyond where I've seen him go. At receiver, its a homer pick but I really like what Rod Streater did at the end of the season. He's most likely going to be the WR2 in Oakland, he's a guy thats been going undrafted often but he could be a good flex or WR3 this season.
(sig by soty)
wtr23
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 224)

Postby Cuffs » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:51 pm

You seem to assume that Isaiah Pead won’t be picking up the second string RB carries. Unless I’m missing something, recently Pead and Richardson were expected to be competing for the starting job, though it sounds like Richardson is leading in that department.

The Rams backfield roles look really unclear, with three really young but talented backs. I agree with you that there is opportunity for great value there. But I thought Stacy was third on the totem pole as it stands right now, but I could be wrong.
Cuffs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby murphysxm » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:18 pm

I am pretty convinced I will own Zach Sudfeld or Julius Thomas in every league....
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby Metropolitans » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:28 am

murphysxm wrote:I am pretty convinced I will own Zach Sudfeld or Julius Thomas in every league....

I too, am very high on Sudfeld...realistically where do u think u can draft him safely? also, whats the highest you'd reach for him to ensure owning him? im trying to get an idea where to nab em safely without reaching but id be steaming if I miss him by a round or two.... thanks!
10Team H2H
(8-1 Record)
QB- Stafford
WR- VJax
WR- Marshall
WR/RB-JNelson
RB- RRice
RB- DMC
TE- Gronkowski
K- Akers
DEF- WW Matchups
Bench- Bradford, Morris, Meachem, JBest, JBaldwin, Ridley
Metropolitans
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cuffs » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:45 am

Metropolitans wrote:
murphysxm wrote:I am pretty convinced I will own Zach Sudfeld or Julius Thomas in every league....

I too, am very high on Sudfeld...realistically where do u think u can draft him safely? also, whats the highest you'd reach for him to ensure owning him? im trying to get an idea where to nab em safely without reaching but id be steaming if I miss him by a round or two.... thanks!

For what it's worth, in a 12 team redraft league with 6 bench spots (16 round draft), neither of those TEs was drafted. Housler and Cameron Jordan also went undrafted, so some of the unknown but promising TEs are on the waiver wire.

This was an early draft (aug. 10), so I'd guess that some of those guys will get snatched up as the preseason plays out more. But if you're drafting soon, you should be able to wait pretty late and still get one of them. Think about all the TEs that people draft more highly, for better or worse:

Graham, Gronk, Rudolph, Pettigrew, Witten, Gonz, Daniels, Myers, Gresham, Gates, Bennett, Davis, Finley, Cook, Allen, Keller, Dickson. That's 17 TEs right there.

IMO, this season more than ever if you don't get one of those top couple TEs, you can afford to wait until the end...maybe take two of those sleepers, and be better served picking up RBs or WRs in the early and mid rounds.
Cuffs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Football Talk