Pass On Spiller At Your Own Risk..... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Pass On Spiller At Your Own Risk.....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Pass On Spiller At Your Own Risk.....

Postby Mr.Joshua » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:20 pm

I've been reading alot of posts about how owners are afraid of Spiller because either they are worried about Fred Jackson stealing a good chunck of carries or that Spiller has never been 'the guy' and they dont think his body will hold up. Spiller doesn't have much of an injury history. He had 250 total touches last year and showed no signs of breaking down towards the end of the year. I'd be more worried about someone like Lamar Miller who had like 55 touches and is now the man in Miami (thats another story). Buffalo's coach was fired for multiple reasons after last season, but mostly b/c he didnt get their most explosive player the ball enough. Thats not going to happen again. The latest quote was something like " Spiller will keep getting the ball until he throws up".
- Anyway, these debates are fun and informative. All I know is that I got him @ 5 in one league here at the Cafe and is one of a few players that I'm all in on this year and will try to get in every league I can.
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 210)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Pass On Spiller At Your Own Risk.....

Postby Sticky Fingers » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:46 pm

I have the 6th pick for our draft on Thursday and up until last week I was hoping Spiller would still be there, but now Im not so sure If I still want him if he is available at 6. I just dont see the Bills offense putting any fear into the opposing defenses this year. They have a rookie QB in Manuel who still has a lot to learn at the pro level plus he may not even be ready week 1 which means undrafted rookie Jeff Tuel will most likely get the start at QB. Spiller will no doubt be the focal point of the offense and that is exactly who the defenses will focus on. The defensive game plan every week will be to stop Spiller 1st then capitalize on the mistakes made by the rookie QB. By doing a few mock drafts and knowing how some of the guys in my league draft, I could still possibly get Foster, Trent Richardson, or Charles. All of which will have a better passing attack than Buffalo which will make the offense less one dimensional. I think even Alfred Morris should be considered over Spiller right now. Im just saying, I was a big fan of Spiller going into preseason and would have probably ranked him as the #2 RB, but now he just seems like a risk to take that early in the draft. I would still like to hear more opinions on the guy to maybe help persuade me one way or the other.
Sticky Fingers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 36)

Postby dn69141 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:11 am

Fred Jackson injured his knee ligament in week ONE of the 2012 season he continued to play for while and prior to that CJ Spiller couldn't unseat him.

There wasn't allot of 8-in the box for Spiller last year...he'll see a bunch this year...the Bills just don't have an offense worth worrying about except now the big ole CJ Spiller.

Not one DC respecting that passing game plus every DC in the league has had a year of tape on Spiller. He's having to learn a new system as is the team... Gailey was there for CJ's first three years...

IMO they have a crap QB in town and an unproven rookie from Florida State..

Not saying C.J. Spiller isn't a decent back, he's on a bad bad team. He will get his huge number of carries 350+? but.. will he hold up to the abuse? I don't see the Bills scoring many touchdowns.. ever, which will hurt CJ Spiller. He will have to earn every yard he runs, and that will hurt him for fantasy. His yards per carry will be to low combined with few touchdowns. Upside... lots of carry time, if.. he stays healthy.
dn69141
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby ScottyWaz9 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:37 pm

I'm confused as to why everyone thinks the Bills offense is so bad? Last year they were 13 in total yards/game and 8 in rushing yards/game. Those aren't spectacular numbers, but they are good enough for Spiller. The reason the bills are so bad is their Defense.

They lost Ryan Fitzpatrick on offense and an overrated lineman in Levitre. I say overrated because Chan never ran conventional run plays, it was about fooling the defense not blocking well. They gained a dual threat EJ Manuel (who knows how he'll play), Olympic sprinter Goodwin, and an NFL ready WR Robert Woods.

Plus they gained an offensive minded head coach who coached an NFL system in college. I am a Bills fan so I am completely biased, but I honestly think this time may be different (though trust me I've been blinded many times before by this awful team so I am as doubtful as everyone else).

So all I'm saying is don't give up on Spiller because you think teams will focus on stopping the run. He is no Adrian Peterson but look at what that team did last year. Exact same situation. I think EJ can easily be better than Ponder especially because he can run.

One last thing, everyone stop being afraid of Tuel. Its one week and its against the Pats, so Spiller's numbers aren't going to be effected by that at all.
ScottyWaz9
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Dawinner127 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:18 pm

I think Leinart just got announced the starter for week 1 vs the Pats. I still don't think it changes anything. Spiller will still get the touches to be extremely productive.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby Sticky Fingers » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:42 pm

Dawinner127 wrote:I think Leinart just got announced the starter for week 1 vs the Pats. I still don't think it changes anything. Spiller will still get the touches to be extremely productive.

Not.

Looks like the Bills released Leinart.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... falo-bills
Sticky Fingers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 36)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:41 pm

I still like Spiller, but the Bills are in dire straits at QB at least until Manuel comes back and possibly even then. He's still a first rounder in my mind, but after the Kolb/Manuel injuries he dropped from being a top 6/7 player in my mind to more of a back end of the top 10 kind of guy. I'd tier him alongside Alfred Morris/Trent Richardson, clearly behind Martin, Rice, McCoy, Foster (if healthy enough, which he is IMO). Close, but I'd probably also prefer Charles.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FireGoodell » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:13 am

Mr.Joshua wrote:I've been reading alot of posts about how owners are afraid of Spiller because either they are worried about Fred Jackson stealing a good chunck of carries or that Spiller has never been 'the guy' and they dont think his body will hold up. Spiller doesn't have much of an injury history. He had 250 total touches last year and showed no signs of breaking down towards the end of the year. I'd be more worried about someone like Lamar Miller who had like 55 touches and is now the man in Miami (thats another story). Buffalo's coach was fired for multiple reasons after last season, but mostly b/c he didnt get their most explosive player the ball enough. Thats not going to happen again. The latest quote was something like " Spiller will keep getting the ball until he throws up".
- Anyway, these debates are fun and informative. All I know is that I got him @ 5 in one league here at the Cafe and is one of a few players that I'm all in on this year and will try to get in every league I can.

Yes I read the same quote about giving the ball to Spiller until he ''throws up". However I don't consider that to a be a good thing for Spiller owners. I own him myself this year and I certainly do NOT want to see him get a ridiculous work load. He's 5' 9" 200 pounds, I do question his durability in a situation where he'd be getting over worked. I'd much rather see Fred carry at least some of the work load which will help keep Spiller fresh and healthy. Spiller has tremendous upside, so much so that I think he could be fantasy MVP, but as an owner I do not want to see him run into the ground. He does me no good on the bench. You are right Spiller had around 250 total touches last year, to be precise he had 207 carries+ 43 catches= 250 touches and was the 7th best RB in fantasy. I think it would be a mistake for Spiller to go over 300 total touches. Around 240 carries and 60 catches would be about right, more than that I think there is a good chance he breaks down. With 300 touches he can still be a top 3-4 RB.
FireGoodell
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Football Talk