Keeper Strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Keeper Strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeper Strategy

Postby Favre.com » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:40 pm

I've played FF for about 12 years, but have always done redraft and dynasty, never limited keeper. I took over a limited keeper (keep 3 at -1 round cost) in my brother's league and have no idea what I'm doing.

As a general question: With only keeper 3 what is the biggest difference in drafting for a limited keeper vs. redraft or dynasty?

How do I figure out value? I can keep Vincent Jackson for a 3rd rounder and Reggie Wayne for a 4th. I originally thought that was terrible and wanted to let both of them go but after seeing people keep worse WRs for 3rds and 2nds maybe I should keep both (there is absolutely no one remotely worth keeping outside of those 2).

Thoughts?
Zito is God in the Baseball Cafe
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keeper Strategy

Postby GreatAmericanFF » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:47 pm

If you have to keep 3 players, then it is a little bit different than just keeping 3 straight keepers since the draft slot is also involved. I would suggest you look at the ADP (Average Draft Position) data and see who presents the best value on your team while measuring that against the best talent. For example, Reggie Wayne's ADP is 4.9 and Vincent Jackson's is 4.1 (This will vary site to site depending on whose mock drafts are being used). So, while there isn't much value there in keeping those guys, if they are the best players on the team, then it is something I'd consider.

With all that said, it would be better if you could give more context such as your entire roster (or at least the other potential keepers).

ETA: I'd suggest posting your full roster in the keeper thread so that you can get more specific answers
GreatAmericanFF
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

(Past Year: 2)

Re: Keeper Strategy

Postby Favre.com » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:48 pm

We can keep up to three, so I can theoretically keep 0. The rest of the roster is pretty terrible based on Value. Eli for a 2nd rounder, Gore for a 1st rounder (I have 2nd overall pick), etc. I am likely keeping VJax for a 3rd, Wayne for a 4th, and TGonz for a 7th. I generally look at ADP and based on ADP Wayne for a 4th is a little steep but everything is ridiculously picked over right now my hand is pretty much forced. I am also likely drafting Jamaal Charles with that 2nd overall (its him or Brees basically, and I have no RBs to work with so thats pretty much settled) so that should help.

Thanks for the response. I typically used ADP but in a picked over keeper like this where Steve Smith is being kept in exchange for a 2nd rounder I feel like people reach more.
Zito is God in the Baseball Cafe
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 16)

Return to Football Talk