12 Team+ Just take the QB!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

12 Team+ Just take the QB!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

12 Team+ Just take the QB!!

Postby HairyHelmet » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:38 pm

I have done a fair amount of research into ADP's for this year and have studied the rankings from this site. I have to say, I strongly disagree with one thing in particular. If you are in a 12 team league just take the QB in the late 1st. Obviously I say this assuming someone rediculous does not fall to you and act on this theory only when it pays in the 2nd, which happens more times than not.

To win your league it is well known that the end of your draft is important. But it is also true that you have to get consistency from your very early picks. Brees and Rodgers are the epitomy of consistency(with a very strong shot to end the year as #1) during a fantasy season. Personaly I have 7-9 RB's in my first tier (I keep going back and forth on McCoy and Richardson). In my 2nd Tier I have maybe 6. That means that at the end of the 1st if I take a RB, it is one of my 2nd tier RB's. That means if I take Rodgers or Brees and take a RB in the 2nd it is a 2nd tier RB. I suppose this could also be a reason to take Mega, which I am not against due to the consistency/high upside.

I like Brees/Rodger and Morris/SJax/Forte/Ridley/MJD/CJ2K more than I like 2 of these RB's with my first two picks. Am I the only one who is loving these ADP's going into the season? I feel it will be easy to take advantage of just as long as you are someone who drafts strongly for upside depth late. A lot of the RB's in the 1st round even are fairly risky, I like my high reward guys in the late rounds. :-o
1st $12 Team Return 2 Flex 6 TD pass Keeper -Yahoo Sunday Black n' Blue
1st $12 Team Return 2 Flex -Yahoo GRIDIRON MASTERS
1st $12 Team PPR 2 QB -Yahoo MeanAssStaleys
3rd $12 Team Return 3 Flex No Kicker -Yahoo Td's N Beer
HairyHelmet
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 12 Team+ Just take the QB!!

Postby HairyHelmet » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:51 pm

Ok this is a mock that I just completed. Am I the only one that would like this team going into a 12 team league's season?

QB - 2 Aaron Rodgers
RB - 5 Le'Veon Bell
RB - 6 Ahmad Bradshaw
WR - 1 Calvin Johnson
WR - 3 Victor Cruz
TE - 4 Rob Gronkowski
FLEX - 7 Andre Brown

B - 8 Deangelo Williams
B - 9 Bryce Brown
B - 10 Ben Tate
B - 14 Roy Helu
B - 11 Brian Hartline
B - 12 Rueben Randel
B - 13 Jordan Cameron

Is the team soft at RB? Yes.
Will this team be going into matchups with an advantage at the other positions most of the time? Yes.
Is this team 1 injury away from being the favorite to win the league? It's probably at least up there assuming some nice waiver wire work as well.

I like it and am comfortable going against the percieved norm this year when in a position to do so. Thoughts?
1st $12 Team Return 2 Flex 6 TD pass Keeper -Yahoo Sunday Black n' Blue
1st $12 Team Return 2 Flex -Yahoo GRIDIRON MASTERS
1st $12 Team PPR 2 QB -Yahoo MeanAssStaleys
3rd $12 Team Return 3 Flex No Kicker -Yahoo Td's N Beer
HairyHelmet
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dawinner127 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:48 pm

HairyHelmet wrote:Ok this is a mock that I just completed. Am I the only one that would like this team going into a 12 team league's season?

QB - 2 Aaron Rodgers
RB - 5 Le'Veon Bell
RB - 6 Ahmad Bradshaw
WR - 1 Calvin Johnson
WR - 3 Victor Cruz
TE - 4 Rob Gronkowski
FLEX - 7 Andre Brown

B - 8 Deangelo Williams
B - 9 Bryce Brown
B - 10 Ben Tate
B - 14 Roy Helu
B - 11 Brian Hartline
B - 12 Rueben Randel
B - 13 Jordan Cameron

Is the team soft at RB? Yes.
Will this team be going into matchups with an advantage at the other positions most of the time? Yes.
Is this team 1 injury away from being the favorite to win the league? It's probably at least up there assuming some nice waiver wire work as well.

I like it and am comfortable going against the percieved norm this year when in a position to do so. Thoughts?

I'm in the same opinion as you. I have the first pick in the draft and am obviously taking Peterson. I am PRAYING that either Brees or Rodgers falls back to me at the 2/3 turn. These guys are the definition of consistency. Yeah, Matt Ryan would be nice at the start of round 5, but like you said -- you need the ROI at the early rounds. Pairing ADP with either the #1 or #2 QB is a nice 1-2 punch to start the draft.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moose_ffc » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:34 pm

The size of the league make a big difference with respect to QBs this year. I was tinkering with the settings on the draft tool I got from FootballDocs. When I switched the league size from 10 to 12, the QBs moved up the draft board significantly. In a 10 team league, you can probably piece together a QB, but in a 12 team league that changes.

I have a draft this weekend in a 12 team league. You start 1 QB, but you also get a superflex QB/RB/WR/TE. I will be looking for a QB early in this draft.
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Bsquared » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:08 pm

Last year I picked 11th in a 12-PPR league and picked Drew Brees and he was the one that led me to win it all. Granted that my second running back was pretty bad, I was lucky enough that Richardson did great at the end. I will try to get Brees again in the first round. Running backs and WR always show up on the waiver wire so that is how I did it.
Bsquared
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

(Past Year: 2)

Return to Football Talk