Take J. Charles in the 1st round or try to get cute? WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Take J. Charles in the 1st round or try to get cute? WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Take J. Charles in the 1st round or try to get cute? WHIR

Postby chinch sacs » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:01 am

So my long time league decided we are keeping 2 from last year for the first time. Sounded good to me since I won. Just found out that the keeper will take the draft spot that it was selected from LAST YEARS DRAFT.

12 team non-PPR league, and leans a little towards QB's. 17 rounds.

I am obviously keeping Spiller from Round 8, but do I take Charles for my round 1 selection? I'm debating is because there are a couple good picks I can take and keep my round 1 open.

J. Charles (Rd 1)
Demaryius Thomas (Rd 6)

or

Randall Cobb all the way down in Round 14!!!

The reasoning is, there will only be 24 keepers, so there will still be talent at pick #12. I might miss Charles, but I have the opportunity to get someone like Chris Johnson, A.J. Green or F. Gore and still have an early round WR that I kept much later.

So, who would you keep?
Fantasy sports are dominated by the 50-50-90 rule.
any time you have a 50/50 choice on something,
90% of the time you'll get it wrong.
chinch sacs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Take J. Charles in the 1st round or try to get cute? WHI

Postby dawson94 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:03 am

I would keep Thomas. Total steal for a 6th rounder. Keeping Cobb could be a savvy move too, but it's hard to pass on a guy like Thomas. Spiller will be really good, and you could get a stud RB2 with the 12th pick. Help with mine? viewtopic.php?f=18&t=535589
dawson94
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 33)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby prophecy135 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:54 am

I might stick with Charles and Spiller, Charles is a 1st rounder so you aren't losing anything really but he wouldn't be there at 12, plus if you think there will still be talent at 12 I can't imagine that changes if you lose your first and take some one you listed in the 2nd. While I agree that Thomas is a steal at a 6th and Cobb might be even better value at a 14th, you would be passing on what many think are two top 5 backs, both with top 3 upside. I'm not sure anyone you'd get with the 12th could produce that.
prophecy135
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 206)

Postby bigdogg712 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:35 am

Shouldn't Charles be taking up a second round or third round pick. I had him last year and I don't remember him going that early. I had the 2nd pick and Got Foster, so when I picked again at the end of round 2, Charles was still there. Anyways, you're the champ, so Ishouldnt question you.

I agree with keeping Spiller. Good pick. As for keeping Charles, it kind of depends on what other players will be there in round one. If you'll be able to get foster or peterson, I would scrap Charles and keep Thomas. I don't like Cobb this year. Thomas will be a beast. However, theres a lot to be said for having two top 10 running backs, in Charles and Spiller.

Help me out?
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=535601
bigdogg712 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 45)

Postby Bherman13 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:48 pm

Not sure why some people would rather have DT than Cobb. Cobb has more potential to be a top 5 receiver. His situation got better, while DT's got a little worse. That being said, I would still keep Charles. That way you are set at RB, and then you can go WR/WR or WR/QB at the turn no problem.
Bherman13
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)

Postby prophecy135 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:13 pm

Bherman13 wrote:Not sure why some people would rather have DT than Cobb. Cobb has more potential to be a top 5 receiver. His situation got better, while DT's got a little worse. That being said, I would still keep Charles. That way you are set at RB, and then you can go WR/WR or WR/QB at the turn no problem.

I agree Cobb is a great value but I think most everyone would take Thomas before Cobb. I don't think Welker will take many of the looks Thomas gets, he's a freak athlete and a huge redzone target. Cobb is also a great athlete and is amazing in open space but he doesn't have the redzone capabilities of Thomas.

All that being said in a redraft with no keepers I like Cobb going a full round later then Thomas much better. Both are elite Wr's.
prophecy135
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 206)

Postby dshaver » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:08 pm

i would keep thomas at 6th rd, that is a nice steal, cobb at 14th is as well.
dshaver
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Htr10 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:22 pm

The drop off from Charles to what you might get in the 1st is nowhere near the drop off between Thomas or Cobb and what you might get in their respective rounds. Honestly, I'd go with Cobb in such a late round. Thomas will probably out score him, but Cobb has a chance to go so huge and he is such a value pick there.
Htr10
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 2)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions