Is it bad to draft players early so you get who you want? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Is it bad to draft players early so you get who you want?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Is it bad to draft players early so you get who you want

Postby Dawinner127 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:47 pm

bigdogg712 wrote:
shmity72 wrote:in a ten team ...if you draft real early you may want an elite qb or wr round 2..just saying. I probably wouldn't go any other way then rb rb..but you should keep your options open. if brees is there at 18...why not? ;-D

I agree I should keep my options open, but I really like players like Stafford and Luck this season. Maybe even Vick, Palmer, and Alex Smith will be productive.

Anyways, Ive always hated my mocks where I don't have 3 strong RBs. Ive even gotten 4 or 5 before drafting another position. In my last mock, I had a strong trio of Charles, Forte, and MJD, followed up by Sproles, then Colston for my first WR. That way I've got a lot of trade leverage.

Do you like my draft strategy? What would you improve on?

Just because you have surplus of RBs doesn't mean you will have a lot of trade leverage. People will know you are willing to part with some of your RBs. They will want to try and get .50 on the dollar because you will have so many. Like someone else said, I am more on board with drafting a more balanced team and trying to hit on a late round RB who could be that Foster of a few years ago in the later rounds.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigdogg712 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:57 pm

Dawinner127 wrote:
bigdogg712 wrote:
shmity72 wrote:in a ten team ...if you draft real early you may want an elite qb or wr round 2..just saying. I probably wouldn't go any other way then rb rb..but you should keep your options open. if brees is there at 18...why not? ;-D

I agree I should keep my options open, but I really like players like Stafford and Luck this season. Maybe even Vick, Palmer, and Alex Smith will be productive.

Anyways, Ive always hated my mocks where I don't have 3 strong RBs. Ive even gotten 4 or 5 before drafting another position. In my last mock, I had a strong trio of Charles, Forte, and MJD, followed up by Sproles, then Colston for my first WR. That way I've got a lot of trade leverage.

Do you like my draft strategy? What would you improve on?

Just because you have surplus of RBs doesn't mean you will have a lot of trade leverage. People will know you are willing to part with some of your RBs. They will want to try and get .50 on the dollar because you will have so many. Like someone else said, I am more on board with drafting a more balanced team and trying to hit on a late round RB who could be that Foster of a few years ago in the later rounds.

I like having a balanced team too, but it just seemed like in all my mocks where I go RB, WR/RB, WR/RB, WR/RB (so I get 2 of each by round 4), my teams just turn out a lot weaker. Theres just so much WR depth this year, its crazy
bigdogg712 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 45)

Postby bigdogg712 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:32 pm

I just did a mock where I picked third (my actual drafting spot for my real draft). I took charles first, then CJ2K, then MJD (just what I want to do in my real draft). Here was the team I ended up with:

QB- Stafford
RB- Charles
RB- Johnson
WR- Welker
WR- Cruz
TE- Bennett
FLEX- MJD
DST- Steelers DST
K- Josh Brown

BN- Bradshaw
BN- Mendenhall
BN- Steve Johnson
BN- Chris Givens
BN- Britt
BN- Michael Floyd
BN- Ryan Broyles

What do you think of this? Good RB depth, top 5 caliber QB, good starting WRs with good depth. I think this is a really solid team actually, and one that I think I could really get in our draft. Should I be happy with this squad?
bigdogg712 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bigdogg712 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:18 am

bump?
bigdogg712 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff