QB Questions... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

QB Questions...

Moderator: Football Moderators

QB Questions...

Postby Seibs » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:25 pm

So my friends and I determined our draft order last night (we're drafting on the 30th) and I ended up getting the 9th overall pick. There's 10 teams in our league. We're a standard league in terms of scoring, but we're allowed to start a QB in our flex spot, effectively making our league a 2 QB league. Here's a more in depth breakdown of how points are allocated:

- TD's: 5 Points per passing TD, 7 Points per Rushing/Receiving TD
- Yards: 1 Point per 25 Passing Yards, 1 Point per 10 Rushing/Receiving Yards
- Bonuses: 1 Point per 40+ Yard Pass, 2 Points per 40+ Yard Rush/Reception, 5 Points if 400+ Yards Passing, 10 Points if 200+ Yards Rushing/Receiving

I have questions about how QB's will be drafted, looking for some input. This is the third year of our league and I've won it both previous years. People have finally realized that QB's are pretty much worth their weight in gold in our league so I'm pretty confident that people will be drafting mostly QB's before me. Rodgers, Brees, Manning (Peyton), Brady and Newton are guaranteed to be gone and I'm thinking that Peterson and Foster will be gone as well based off of what I've heard so far. I'm wondering if it would be worth my while to pass on drafting a QB in the first round (someone like Stafford or Ryan) and draft Calvin Johnson instead. I'm thinking that the realization from others of how valuable QB's are is going to lead to a disproportionate reaction in how they're drafted, leaving good value on the board at other spots.

Here would be my strategy:

- Round 1: Calvin Johnson
- Round 2: AJ Green
- Round 3: Eli Manning
- Round 4: Undetermined RB

The reason I would draft AJ Green in the second round is because I would plan on trading Calvin Johnson for a higher tier QB. Also, I'm kind of hoping that this would incite a little bit of panic in some people that would cause them to start drafting WR's earlier than normal. That would allow me to draft Eli Manning in the third round giving me a nice safety net in case I can't make a trade with Johnson. I don't mind rolling with Eli as my starter because I figure if I'm in this situation the players I have at other positions will more than make up for the loss in QB output. It worked for me last year in that I had Newton/Stafford as my #1 QB and had to roll with guys like Ponder, Weeden and Locker as my second QB. I still won the league. Thoughts? Any other strategies I should consider?
Seibs
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 22)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: QB Questions...

Postby Seibs » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:24 pm

Anyone have any input?
Seibs
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 22)