Intro & a "rate my team" out of the gate! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to IDP

Intro & a "rate my team" out of the gate!

Intro & a "rate my team" out of the gate!

Postby Lucky Dog Hot Sauce » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:04 pm

Hi all,

My name's Scott and I'm a hot sauce guy. I have a small gourmet hot sauce company out of CA, and in addition to making hot sauce I love fantasy football. Been playing in 2 local leagues since around 1998: one redraft team D-ST, and the one that I created, an IDP league with somewhat heavy D scoring (balanced with O).

Let me start by saying this is a very competitive league. 12 members, the shortest experience at FFB is 8 years, ranging out to 12-15 year vets, some of whom I've played with for that long in various leagues.

When I set up the league and got to play god, I added in all of the FFB features I thought my other league lacked. Offensively, it's a Point Per Reception, 1/3 Point Per Completion (e.g. 3 completions = 1 pt), with 6 pt Pa, Ru and Re TDs. .1/1 yd Ru/Re, and .1/2 PaYd. Also have 100+ RuYd bonus of 2 pts (+1 every 50 after), 100+ ReYd bonus of 2 pts (+1 every 50 after), 300+ PaYd bonus of 3 pts (+2 every 100 after), and all TDs over 50 yards (Pa, Ru or Re) get +1 bonus point. O-FLEX is WR/RB/TE. WRs/DBs and RBs who return punts/kicks get KR and PR yardage at .1/3 yds (e.g. 30 Return Yards = 3 points). Negative scoring: FL -2, Int -3

IDP scoring is pretty heavy, equal to offense, with Tkl = 2, Asst Tkl = 1, Sack = 5, 1/2 sack = 2.5, Int = 5, PD = 1, FF = 2, DRF = 2, DTD = 6, STY = 5. At 10 tackles, you get a 2 point bonus (like an extra tackle) and at 3 sacks you get a 3 pt bonus for the "hat trick". Rare.

We start:
1 QB
2 RB
3 WR
1 O-FL
1 TE
1 K
2 DL
2 LB
2 DB
1 D-FL

Our bench is 10 players deep. That said, with IDP the WW has a nice churn, since so many defensive players are needed.

I went into this draft not knowing my draft position. We do a Kentucky Derby style draft, where you can pick your position. If you draw 5 and you want 12, you can take 12. The team that draws 6 might take 11, etc.

Draft recap
I got 6. I was extremely tempted to take 8-9-10 and take McCoy or Rice, hoping Forte made it back to me. I thought about it and decided I would take Calvin Johnson - I love the fact that he was SO much better than the next WR, and he was stopped at the 1 like 5 or 6 times last year. I expect his TDs to increase. So I got 6 and sure enough, Megatron was there for me. It was a little tough taking him, as I knew I'd be chasing RBs all draft, but then I also know that in an IDP draft crazy things happen - runs start on defense and people allow value picks to fall farther than they should. I bit the bullet and took Megatron over Rice, McCoy or Richardson, 3 players I'm very high on. And good thing, as Forte went 1.11 (likely on news that he's now the GL back too).

1.06 - Megatron

2.07 - Brees - here's where I could have jumped the shark. Major risk, but again - .1/2 PaYd, 6 Pt PaTD and 1/3 PPC, QBs score a LOT in this league. And last year 3 QBs were off the board by this point in the draft. I went in thinking I'd be one of the last teams to take a QB. Stafford was the guy I wanted and in the 5th or 6th. But it looks like everyone in the league thought the same thing. So I popped the cherry, drooling over the monster production I'd get out of my 1st two picks every week. Also crossing my fingers that one of Murray or Miller made it back to me in the 3rd. Also in the 2nd went Rodgers (2.10), Graham (2.11), Brady (2.12) and then Manning at 3.10 was the 4th QB to go. After that Kaep & Newton went at 5.03 and 5.12 respectively. I don't like any of the running QBs in this league as they're just not as valuable.

3.06 - Demarco Murray - Someone did me a favor & took MJD 1 pick before me, so I didn't have to decide. Murray was there, as was Miller. I opted for Murray.

4.07 - L.Miller - I was kind of shocked he fell this far. He's reportedly the clear favorite & all this rumbling about Thomas getting GL sounds like bunk since he's always sucked in short yardage. I was very pleased at this point, and figured I'd grab 1 more RB in the next 2 rounds if an upside player fell.

5.06 - Eddie Lacy - Now I'm feeling really comfy. With a flex spot, and now 3 starting RBs I'm loving my team's potential. I should have taken a WR here, or in the next round, because...

6.07 - Shane Vereen fell to me. IDP players started flying in the 4th, with a big run in the 5th-6th, and now 8 QBs were off the board, allowing a few good RBs to fall.I really thought he'd go in the 5th or early 6th, especially with a Patriots honk in the league drafting at 8. I could not resist the temptation, which is what taking a WR-QB 1-2 does to you. Murray isn't the picture of health, and Miller is a bit of a ?, so I felt really good taking a guy I'm extremely high on. Vereen's use in the preseason has been beyond replacing Woodhead. Ridley doesn't catch the ball, and is taken out for up to 20 mins at a clip (which frustrated the hell out of me as a Ridley owner last year) and Vereen will get a lot of that production, plus a lot of work at WR and in screens. He's lined up all over the field and looks like a great weekly flex play. That said, had I known Vereen would be here, I would have taken Bowe, Decker, Wayne or Torrey Smith in the 5th instead of Lacy. Kicking myself, as I'm deep at RB at the expense of WR now. This theme would continue. But my experience in FFB is that it's easier to find a WR than it is to find a RB, and without 4 starting quality RBs (at least RB2s) you are sunk over the course of the year.

7.06 - T.Y. Hilton - ouch. Bigtime dropoff. Love the player - I think he's going to have a very, very good year. He's a legit WR2 if things go as I expect (e.g. DHB sucks, which is his track record) - no questioning the talent, and a lot of folks peg him for a breakout. That said, I would feel much better with a 2nd legit WR1b type and being thin at RB cost me. A lot.

8.07 - Cameron Wake - the IDP run was getting underway, started in the 5th (Watt) and 15 IDP-ers were gone. I had Wake as my #3 DL in this scoring system last year, so I was psyched to grab him as my DL1. Doing so however cost me Kenny Britt, Michael Floyd. I probably should have taken Floyd, but Wake is a weekly 20-30 point play in this scoring system, and I'd freefalled defense until the 8th.

9.06 - Cecil Shorts - I know I swore off Jags, but Shorts in the 9th seems like robbery in a PPR league. The Jags will be playing from behind a lot, and I love Shorts talent. As a WR3 I think he's pretty solid, and I feel very lucky to have filled out my starting WR corps with him. Upside low-end WR1, probably a solid WR2 type though.

10.07 - Geno Atkins - Another DL I thought fell way, way too far. Love him in this format. My 5th overall DL. I love having my bookends locked in. DL production falls off a cliff past the 10th best.

11.06 - Cameron Jordan - I reached by a full round at least. I wanted him. A run on TEs had just happened between 10.10 and 11.04 (5 taken) and 4 teams after me still needed a TE. And with his 2 TD game, I feared the hype. I was comfortable enough with my team that I said (Mod edited for language) - I wanted him, and I got him. I expect a huge year. This pick cost me DeAndre Hopkins. Seeing as he's now concussed, it might have done me a favor.

12.07 - Alshon Jeffery - my "plan B" to Hopkins. Love Jefferey this year. Perfect compliment to Marshall, and he's been a standout all preseason/camp. As a WR4 I think he has great upside.

13.06 - Greg Hardy - My D-Flex & BYE week fill-in at DL, this was the last of my top tier D-Lineman. I would normally take LBs, but the run on them was ridiculous. I was not going to pass up my 7th best DL for the 20th linebacker. It's a deep position and I was planning on taking defense late anyway.

14.07 - Perry Riley - tackle-heavy league, I love Riley's 128 tackles and 3.5 sacks. Solid weekly production, I can't complain. I probably should have locked up the 5th WR here or in the next 2 rounds. Was having fun, eating chili, drinking and laughing - good trade-off.

15.06 - Michael Vick - I was looking at Sam Bradford on the draft sheet and out of the corner of my eye I saw that Vick had not been taken. I'll take him for a QB2 or possible trade bait if he gets off to a fast start. I really only need to cover a 1-week BYE, and Vick had undeniably the most upside of any player on the board at the time. 15th round seems ridiculous.

16.07 - Roy Helu - hey, if the Alf owner doesn't want to handcuff him, I'll gladly grab a potential weekly Flex player, and lottery ticket if Alf gets hurt. Massive upside, and many, many other handcuffs were already gone. (including Daniel Thomas, who I was going to take here but went 3 picks before me)

17.06 - Lawrence Timmons - I seem to end up with him every year in this league, I just usually have to pay much more for him. Again, not sure how he fell this far considering the tackle-heavy format.

18.07 - Cordarrelle Patterson - BYE week problem forced me to take a 5th WR and I'll need a 6th too. Oops. I like his return ability, he's purely a BYE week filler and he's intriguing as a WR5. That said, I could have waited. Alcohol was really becoming a factor here.

19.06 - David Harris - 123 tackles last year, more blitzing expected to return Harris to the 5-6 sack level, and a defense that will be on the field a LOT in 2013? Yes please. Glad I waited for defense.

20.07 - Lance Dunbar - with everyone screwing everyone out of their handcuff, and the massive shit talking when I drafted Murray, I was really surprised no one thought to take Dunbar from me. A collective groan came from the peanut gallery when everyone realized they allowed me to lock up the DAL backfield in the 20th round. Again - IDP league, and everyone is drafting for needs this late, not always seeing the big picture.

21.06 - Antoine Bethea - meh, a decent but not spectacular DB. He'll score points weekly. Low ceiling, high floor. Perfect for my IDP strategy.

22.07 - Brandon Myers - the 2nd to last TE taken, and he was in my top 10. I almost took him over Jordan. Many commented that they thought he'd been taken. The likes of Keller, Zach Miller, Coby Fleener, Delanie Walker, and the blocker Germaine Gresham were taken in the 2 rounds before this pick. I was psyched. I wouldn't have bothered with a 2nd TE had he not been sitting there. I just happened to glance at my TE sheet while looking at my next round and noticed him.

23.06 - Malcolm Floyd - he's practicing, and probably shouldn't have fallen to the 23rd round. Axe Elf will be thrilled to know that I coin-flipped between Kerley and Floyd. I probably should have taken Kerley, because Floyd did not solve my BYE problem (in fact, he made it worse I have 3 week 8 WRs on the BYE. :doh:

24.07 - Michael Huff - big part of the rebuilt Ravens Defense. Hard hitter, elite athlete - I think he will thrive in BAL. He was my 14th ranked DB in this scoring system and I was happy to have him as my DB2.

25.06 - Jeremy Kerley - I needed to cover 1 week where too many players are on a BYE. 3rd year receiver and maybe the Jets will find a miracle QB or something. Sigh.

26.06 - Alex Henery - he has a foot on the end of his leg, and his offense can get the ball downfield. Plus he has a week 12 BYE so I don't need to deal with it for a while.

Starting lineup
QB - Brees (Vick)
RB - Murray/Miller (Lacy/Vereen/Helu/Dunbar(h)
WR - Megatron/T.Y. Hilton/Shorts (Jefferey/Patterson/Floyd/Kerley)
O-FL - Lacy (Vereen/Floyd/Jeffery/Kerley)
TE - Cameron (Myers)
K - Henery
DL - Wake/Atkins (Hardy)
LB - Riley/Timmons (Harris)
DB - Bethea/Huff
D-FL - Hardy (Harris)

my thoughts Overall I'm pretty pleased - my biggest weakness (obviously) seems like lack of depth at WR, but that is also a position that lends itself to talent emerging. There are at least 10 WRs on the wire that I like who have upside, but I am actually pretty happy with my top 4 WRs. It's an old-school roster with surprising depth at RB, despite being the last team to draft one, and being in the middle of the draft really allowed me to cherry pick the RBs I liked over 4 straight rounds. So much so I got a little greedy and passed up WRs I could have used. That said, I tried to read the draft - the teams ahead of me each time needed RBs, so I figured WRs would fall. They never did. Hey, sometimes you take chances and get screwed - such is the nature of picking in the middle. Of the problems to have I'd rather be a little more thin at WR than RB.

My defense is middle of the road. While I have elite DLs (which is good, as they're much much more rare), my LBs are high floor guys who I like for consistency, and my DBs are servicable at best. But my experience has been that every time I've invested high in defensive players, it's come at the cost of having a deep/decent offense. And this year I bucked that trend. Hey, if they're gonna get hurt and I have to replace 'em anyway, I might as well wait to pick them, right?

What I hate: I hate having a mediocre defense - outside of DL/D-FL (where I have 3 studs) I am not loving any of these players. The elite tier run started at 8.8, and went all the way to 9.05 - I did not want to jump on the tail end of the run, so I zagged when everyone sigged & took Shorts (who was a bargain since I expected him to go during that 8-9 run) - from there I figured I'd just take fliers late. I usually have elite LBs and DBs. I've been the one to start runs rather than finish them. This year I looked closer at the positions. My 2 best LBs last year were FA adds. And the top DB in this league finished just 30 pts higher than the 20th. Over 16 games that 1.8 points per game didn't seem worth passing up positions where the differential is greater and position thinner. Still leaves me unsettled to not have studs at LB & DB.

What I love: I don't have a true #1, but I have a couple guys with a shot at being one. I have a choice of Lacy or Vreen every week at flex. Even if GB doesn't run more, or Lacy gets hurt, or busts, I am pretty confident in Vreen's weekly play-ability. Dare I say, I kind of love my RBs, especially with a foundation of Megatron/Brees, arguably the 2 top scorers at their positions (and 2 of the top scorers in fantasy). On defense DL was a priority because after the top 7, it dries up in a hurry points-wise. In this league it's the players who can tackle & pressure the QB that score the most and most consistently, and I have 3 in my top 7. I love the trio I have for this scoring system. I may just have post draft euphoria though, looking at the team with hearts in my eyes. heh

Considering I drafted 6th, overall, I really like this team.

Feel free to comment, provide feedback or insight - would love to hear what the community thinks of this IDP draft. I'll say this - 26 rounds needs endurance - I'm glad I didn't crack my 4th beer until the 14th. The whiskey was a killer though...
Lucky Dog Hot Sauce
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Intro & a "rate my team" out of the gate!

Postby Lucky Dog Hot Sauce » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:33 pm

Already planning on dumping Huff for Antoine Winfield (100+ more points last year) - any reason I should be looking at Dawan Landry, DeAngelo Hall or Antrelle Rolle ahead of him? There are some concerning injuries...Any advice appreciated, thanks!
Lucky Dog Hot Sauce
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Jason497 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:40 am

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce wrote:Already planning on dumping Huff for Antoine Winfield (100+ more points last year) - any reason I should be looking at Dawan Landry, DeAngelo Hall or Antrelle Rolle ahead of him? There are some concerning injuries...Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Don't see Winfield playing as many snaps or racking up as many stats as he goes from every down #1CB in Minnesota to #3CB in Seattle behind Sherman and Browner.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)

Postby Lucky Dog Hot Sauce » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:06 am

Jason497 wrote:
Lucky Dog Hot Sauce wrote:Already planning on dumping Huff for Antoine Winfield (100+ more points last year) - any reason I should be looking at Dawan Landry, DeAngelo Hall or Antrelle Rolle ahead of him? There are some concerning injuries...Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Don't see Winfield playing as many snaps or racking up as many stats as he goes from every down #1CB in Minnesota to #3CB in Seattle behind Sherman and Browner.

Agreed - any suggestion from that list of players? Both of the ankle injured guys say they'll be back for week 1 but...
Lucky Dog Hot Sauce
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Lucky Dog Hot Sauce » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:45 pm

DB is a pretty low priority, but consistency would be nice. The separation between the top & middle tiers of DBs in this league is 30-40 points, so I'm looking for consistent weekly production more than anything.

Available DBs:
DeAngelo Hall - sprained ligaments in his ankle, says he'll be ready for week 1.
Dawan Landry - no updates since April & I'm not that familiar with his game.
Antrel Rolle - sprained ankle. Said "no way" he misses game 1.
Ryan Clark - in a tackle-heavy league he seems like a great fit for my team? He's a bit long in the tooth at 33 though...100 tackles would seem to make him the most consistent? This is my favorite so far...
Michael Griffen - another Sty, which is preferred, but he wasn't great last year & they brought in 2 more guys to compete...not sure about him.

Any thoughts/insight on the above players would be appreciated, thanks!
Lucky Dog Hot Sauce
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Lucky Dog Hot Sauce » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:42 pm

Well, it turns out we each just got an extra pick. We'd voted to drop the league down 1 roster spot this year. Everyone thought we were at 26. Turned out we were at 27. lol

So we're doing an online-post to the message board 1 round draft. It got to me & I decided to not even worry about a WR yet because I don't need it until week 8. A lot can (and will) happen between now and then, so I grabbed DeJuan Harris, GB. Apparently he's working with the 1s and despite a good game from Lacy (8/40) they're making Harris the man. Weird. At least now I have them both, but dammit I sure wish I had my 5th pick back so I could take a WR. DeSean Jackson was on the board. doh
Lucky Dog Hot Sauce
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Lucky Dog Hot Sauce » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:48 pm

Interesting development...

Team #12, who's hurting at RB (CJ?K / Gore as his 1-2 & no real
#3 (Shonn Green?) drafted 6 WRs...

He reached out offering me VJax & The DAL handcuff (while Dunbar is hurt) for my Cecil Shorts/lacy

I'm getting concerned that it'll be a RBBC in Green Bay & their 4 games against MIN & CHI bother me too, but I didn't want to give up on Shorts, who I got at least 2 full rounds later than I should have.

We countered back & forth, but I ended up dealing Lacy/D.Harris (handcuff) for Steve Smith/DAL RB (handcuff to my Murray)

He took Steve Smith at 5.12, where he shoulda taken a RB, and I took Lacy at 5.06 where I shoulda taken a WR.

Value-wise it's about as fair as it gets, and now I've got Murray totally "insured".

And I still have Vereen who in PPR makes a sold Flex play - and BYE weeks ill have the option/luxury of having a quality WR4 to plug in at Flex.

It fixes my WR BYE issues, stabilizes my DAL RB & I go from a WR trio of Megatron/Shorts/Hilton (Jeffery/Floyd) to Megatron/SSMith/Shorts (Hilton/Jeffery/Floyd)

There's risk - SSmith is 34.

But I'm deeper at WR, with arguably no hit at RB. I'm very high on Vereen & prefer to start him over Lacy/Harris anyway.

Waiver claim in on any one of 5 DBs which will run Saturday. I'm pretty pleased with this team now!

QB - Brees
RB - Murray/Miller (Vereen)
WR - Megatron/SSmith/Shorts (Hilton/Jeffery/Floyd)
TE - Cameron (Myers)

If Murray finally stays healthy, Cameron is the next stud TE under Turner & Miller holds his own as a RB2, this'll be the best offense over ever had.
Lucky Dog Hot Sauce
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to IDP