Jimmy Graham in the early 2nd - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jimmy Graham in the early 2nd

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jimmy Graham in the early 2nd

Postby iloveny18 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:04 pm

Can someone please explain the strategy behind drafting Jimmy Graham early if you draft in the bottom half of a 12 team league? I think there's good depth at the TE position this year
iloveny18
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Jimmy Graham in the early 2nd

Postby wtr23 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:05 pm

The main argument for the Graham/Gronk/Witten/Gonzalez types is that they are a huge step up from the rest of the TEs in the league. Getting one of them basically gives you WR1 production in a position where most tight ends give you WR3 type numbers. I usually don't go for Graham early, as Witten and Gonzalez are usually available in rounds 4 and 5, but thats just a personal preference as I feel there's better options available to you that early in the draft.
(sig by soty)
wtr23
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 224)

Postby Azrael » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:10 pm

I would not take Graham that early. I think there are going to be some guys you can take later that you will not get much of a drop off for the value. I think Witten/Gonzo/Davis will all be better spent picks. If you think Gronk will come back off the PUP he is worth taking and stashing. He is head and shoulders above Graham when healthy. He was on pace for 1,100-1,200 yards and 16 TDs again last year. Plus factor in Brady has lost Welker, Lloyd, Hernandez, Woodhead. He will be looking often for that giant when he comes back.

I also think you will get decent play from a Finley or Cameron this year until he gets back. Cameron could be a steal. I can see him scoring double digit TDs while maybe not getting the yards that Graham and those guys get.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby gmoney973 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:54 am

In PPR I don't think there is anything wrong with taking Graham as early as pick #13

Graham is in a contract year and fully healthly unlike last season where he still put up great numbers playing through injury

Gronk is a much bigger injury risk

Once you get Graham locked up you don't have to worry about TE during the middle rounds. WR is deep and I'd want Graham over any of the second tier RBs.

Then u can focus the middle rounds on picking up value RBs and WRs while other teams are taking TEs
gmoney973
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Favre.com » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:36 am

I take Graham every time late 2nd but wouldn't pull the trigger early 2nd. A team that starts with Martin, Graham, Peyton looks pretty solid to me. But in the early second you won't be picking again and I'd rather roll with Gates (in the 8th) and Cameron/Thomas in the 10th-12th.
Zito is God in the Baseball Cafe
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 16)

Postby Stelly » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:42 pm

Where do you rank Graham among the WRs? My league doesn't start a TE, so he will be drafted as a WR. Is he part of the Top 6 WR tier, or is he in the next level of WRs? Would you take him ahead of Larry Fitzgerald?
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby moose_ffc » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:35 pm

I wouldn't do it. Too much TE depth to give up a pick that high.
Just don't F-up your 2nd round pick if you don't take Graham.
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Dawinner127 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:59 pm

Stelly wrote:Where do you rank Graham among the WRs? My league doesn't start a TE, so he will be drafted as a WR. Is he part of the Top 6 WR tier, or is he in the next level of WRs? Would you take him ahead of Larry Fitzgerald?

Definitely part of the top 6 tier. I think he can can produce right on par with what we are expecting from Dez and AJ Green. I think he is the 4th best out of that tier you speak of (Dez, AJ, Calvin, Julio, DT and Marshall).
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 71)

Postby MPappadato » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:08 pm

It is a big mistake to group Graham in with even Witten, Gonzalez, Davis, etc. Graham offers you a giant leg up on those guys, and a ridiculous advantage against the Bennet/Cook type guys.

I wouldn't take Graham in the early second, but late second early third I'm grabbing him every time.
MPappadato
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 10)

Return to Football Talk