5 picks in the first 34 picks - WHAT IS MY STRATEGY - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

5 picks in the first 34 picks - WHAT IS MY STRATEGY

Moderator: Football Moderators

5 picks in the first 34 picks - WHAT IS MY STRATEGY

Postby hotsoup » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:32 pm

ESPN standard scoring 12 person league. I have traded my way to owning 5 picks (10,21,28,33,34) and need to formulate my gameplan.

The league runs 2 QBs, 2 WR, 2 RB, 2 Flex, TE, D, K.

Do I take Jimmy Graham with the 21 or 28 pick? What should be my strategy with these 5 picks?
hotsoup
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: 5 picks in the first 34 picks - WHAT IS MY STRATEGY

Postby JerseyBearsGuy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:41 am

Jimmy Graham will not be there at 21 most likely and def not 28.

2QB's I'm a little unfamiliar with but you def have to get one in the 1st 5, and I'd like to def get 2 backs in there, esp with 2 flex positions.

forget JG, grab Pettigrew, Cameron, or Sufeld later and work your core guys early
A. Luck, M. Vick
A. Morris, S. Ridley, D. Williams, L. Miller, W. Mcgahee
B. Marshall, Julio Jones, S. Smith, S. Johnson, E. Royal, M. Brown
J. Thomas, G. Olsen
D. Bailey
Minnesota
JerseyBearsGuy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Response Team
(Past Year: 173)

Postby mycuccismells » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:01 am

JerseyBearsGuy wrote:Jimmy Graham will not be there at 21 most likely and def not 28.

2QB's I'm a little unfamiliar with but you def have to get one in the 1st 5, and I'd like to def get 2 backs in there, esp with 2 flex positions.

In a 2 QB league that isnt PPR its VERY possible that Graham will be there at 21 and possibly even 28; QBs go very early in these types of leagues. I think in this type of a league I would be shooting to get 2 QBs and a #1 RB with my first 3 picks. Its likely that in the first 27 picks you will see something like 12 QBs, 12 RBs, 2 WR and 1 TE; or something along those lines.

With #10 im probably going QB no matter what, in a 2 QB league its very important to at least have one of the top 10 QBs and by 21 you will be getting into the Dalton territory most likely. With 21 and 28 im going for a RB and my second QB; the order of which depends on how the draft is playing out. At this point you should have a decent feel for whats left on the board and what the people behind you are most likely to do; so analyze those 2 things to determine which pick will be a QB and which will be a RB. I would be shooting to still get a top 15 QB and a top 12 RB at the very worst in these 2 spots.

With 33 and 34 im looking to grab a 2nd RB and a #1 receiver. In the top 34 picks I would expect to see something along the lines of 14 QBs, 14 RBs, 5WRs and 1TE. It all depends on how the draft shakes out; if you see QBs slipping a bit and want to nab RBs with 21 and 28 knowing that you can still get someone like Eli with 33 then go ahead and do that. However you cut it I would hope to have 2 top 12-14 QBs; 2 top 12-14 RBs and a top 5 WR with my first 5 picks
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 361)

Postby FF For Life » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:09 am

1) Graham can be very well there at the first pick, most owners don;t go TE in the first two rounds.
2)Either go RB,RB,QB,WR,TE or RB,top 5 WR,RB,QB,TE or if you really want Graham bad RB, RB, TE, WR, QB

Edit: Crap, I did not notice the 2 qb's Go QB 1 or 2nd in all scenarios. If you see a run in the first on QB's before your pick, then go QB #1.
Last edited by FF For Life on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
MY TEAM:
10 team 4 keeper PPR league: (Starters in bold)
QB:Brees,Rivers
RB: A.Peterson. Sproles, Murray (flex), DeAngelo Williams
WR: Julio Jones, Cruz,Garcon, Jeffrey, Douglas, ROyal
TE: Witten
K: Tucker
DEF:Carolina
FF For Life
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby JerseyBearsGuy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:22 am

Looks like I stand corrected, like I said Im not familiar with 2 qbs. I prob shouldn't have chimed in on this one :-t
A. Luck, M. Vick
J. Thomas, G. Olsen
D. Bailey
Minnesota
JerseyBearsGuy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Response Team

Postby mycuccismells » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:14 pm

JerseyBearsGuy wrote:Looks like I stand corrected, like I said Im not familiar with 2 qbs. I prob shouldn't have chimed in on this one :-t

Yeah 2 QB leagues are MUCH different than normal leagues. The argument to wait on QB is that there are 12-15 very solid QBs and since everyone only starts 1 and they dont get injured often there is no reason to reach since everyone will get one. If you have to start 2 in a 12 team league that means 24 QBs you are getting into much more dangerous waters when it comes to the position that scores the most points.

In a 1 QB league the difference between reaching for Matt Ryan in the 4th and Romo in the 9th is the difference between 24PPG and 23PPG based on last year's stats. In a 2 QB league getting 2 QBs early and having a combo of Romo/Luck might be worth 46PPG where waiting and getting 2 guys like Eli and Cutler (at the backside of QB1/QB2) might mean 36PPG so thats a 10 point per week loss.
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 361)

Postby JerseyBearsGuy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:14 pm

True, true thanks for the insight. I did one league about 10 years ago with 2QB's, and I remember it being like you explained. You gotta have those two quality QB's to be successful!!!
A. Luck, M. Vick
J. Thomas, G. Olsen
D. Bailey
Minnesota
JerseyBearsGuy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Response Team