Standard vs PPR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Standard vs PPR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Standard vs PPR

Postby BleedinPurp » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:48 pm

I've played standard league scoring since I first started playing years ago.

Then this PPR stuff started catching on and it feels like people almost play it more than standard.

I just don't get the point of it, why should a player be rewarded for a reception/touch.. Even if it doesn't gain any yards..?

Why not stick with standard scoring where only yards & tds are what count towards winning games?

Idk, just my view on the topic, please fill me in on the other side.

Thanks
BleedinPurp
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Standard vs PPR

Postby FF For Life » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:03 am

Well. you don't have that many receptions for zero yardage. 1)It provides higher scoring and little more strategy for your league 2)For leagues with more owner say 16-20 owners, it allows more receivers and running backs to be viable additions to your team, something that is needed when you have so many owners.
MY TEAM:
10 team 4 keeper PPR league: (Starters in bold)
QB:Brees,Rivers
RB: A.Peterson. Sproles, Murray (flex), DeAngelo Williams
WR: Julio Jones, Cruz,Garcon, Jeffrey, Douglas, ROyal
TE: Witten
K: Tucker
DEF:Carolina
FF For Life
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mycuccismells » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:05 pm

I definitely agree with it making more people viable for deeper leagues. I think the bigger reason for it though is that it helps to balance the positions a little bit. WRs are a little more inconsistent with their yardage so by giving them points for receptions it helps to balance them out with the RBs a little bit more. It also inflates WR and RB numbers a bit to be closer on pace with QBs so that the QBs dont outscore the skill positions by as much. By balancing out the positions it helps to allow for different draft strategies and makes things a bit more interesting
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 399)

Postby SLONER67 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:09 pm

It just opens up more options on how you can draft your roster. In PPR...many people say that RBs rule but not as thoroughly as they do in standard if they do at all. A great counter to someone loaded at RB in a PPR with a WR/RB/TE flex would be to have either a Brees/Manning/Rodgers QB with a Graham/Gronk TE combo for flexing...you still may manage to land a Forte/Bush/Jackson type RB and V Jax/D Jax/Decker/Boldin/Welker and on and on WR lineup...

Usually those who are stacked at RB are not as stacked at QB or TE and often WR as well. In standard...RB is king so you can almost predict who the winner is going to be on RB lineup alone...not so in PPR where you get as much a 1 pt (sometimes .5 pts) per completion/reception. Also RBs such as Sproles and Bush can be absolute studs in PPR. To me PPR is more entertaining because there are so many more variables and strategies that can be used to help give yourself an edge against your opponent week to week.
SLONER67
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby FireGoodell » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:00 pm

BleedinPurp wrote:I've played standard league scoring since I first started playing years ago.

Then this PPR stuff started catching on and it feels like people almost play it more than standard.

I just don't get the point of it, why should a player be rewarded for a reception/touch.. Even if it doesn't gain any yards..?

Why not stick with standard scoring where only yards & tds are what count towards winning games?

Thanks

PPR is catching on a little more but it's nowhere near as popular as standard leagues. I know it might seem that way but standard is still by far the most common type of league. I recently heard the percentage breakdown on an ESPN podcast as far as how many standard leagues there are vs PPR and it I cannot remember the exact percentage but it wasn't even close. Anyway, I completely agree with you about not understanding the appeal of PPR. PPR can make good NFL players seem average and average players studs. I have never played in a PPR league but I'm familiar with them. Years back I remember a friend of mine telling me he had Derrick Mason in his PPR league that he was a stud lol. From that point on I knew I wanted nothing to do with PPR. But hey, whatever to each his own some people enjoy it so good for them. Some enjoy flex leagues for example, I don't, of course that concept is much more understandable to me as to why it would be appealing vs PPR but I just prefer a standard 12 team league that start 2 RBs/3 WRs and I will probably never deviate from that.
FireGoodell
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby FireGoodell » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:06 pm

SLONER67 wrote:In standard...RB is king so you can almost predict who the winner is going to be on RB lineup alone

Quite possibly the most ridiculous statement in the history of fantasy football forums, for so many reasons I can't even begin to get into it.
FireGoodell
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Eric21ND » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:35 pm

Standard leagues are dated and just a poor way to play fantasy.
Eric21ND
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 18)

Postby FF For Life » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:46 pm

FireGoodell wrote:
BleedinPurp wrote:I've played standard league scoring since I first started playing years ago.

Thanks

PPR is catching on a little more but it's nowhere near as popular as standard leagues. I know it might seem that way but standard is still by far the most common type of league. I recently heard the percentage breakdown on an ESPN podcast as far as how many standard leagues there are vs PPR and it I cannot remember the exact percentage but it wasn't even close. Anyway, I completely agree with you about not understanding the appeal of PPR. PPR can make good NFL players seem average and average players studs. I have never played in a PPR league but I'm familiar with them. Years back I remember a friend of mine telling me he had Derrick Mason in his PPR league that he was a stud lol. From that point on I knew I wanted nothing to do with PPR. But hey, whatever to each his own some people enjoy it so good for them. Some enjoy flex leagues for example, I don't, of course that concept is much more understandable to me as to why it would be appealing vs PPR but I just prefer a standard 12 team league that start 2 RBs/3 WRs and I will probably never deviate from that.

THe reason standard is still more popular is because it's the default setting when creating a league. Many(especially newbies) create league and use the standard settings with little if any changes.

PPR is more fun no doubt about it.
MY TEAM:
10 team 4 keeper PPR league: (Starters in bold)
QB:Brees,Rivers
RB: A.Peterson. Sproles, Murray (flex), DeAngelo Williams
WR: Julio Jones, Cruz,Garcon, Jeffrey, Douglas, ROyal
TE: Witten
K: Tucker
DEF:Carolina
FF For Life
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby leffe186 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:23 am

Eric21ND wrote:Standard leagues are dated and just a poor way to play fantasy.

FF For Life wrote:PPR is more fun no doubt about it.

But why? Genuine question.

I'm relatively new to FF and have only played standard, and shied away from PPR because it seemed like it distorted the worth of players. If it's more fun, and less "poor", then I'd be interested, but why do you think that? I always felt that there would be less skill involved because you would just look for the #1 and #2s, rather than having to look at matchups and long-range guys as well.
leffe186
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Response Team
(Past Year: 100)

Postby Eric21ND » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:35 pm

leffe186 wrote:
Eric21ND wrote:Standard leagues are dated and just a poor way to play fantasy.

FF For Life wrote:PPR is more fun no doubt about it.

But why? Genuine question.

I'm relatively new to FF and have only played standard, and shied away from PPR because it seemed like it distorted the worth of players. If it's more fun, and less "poor", then I'd be interested, but why do you think that? I always felt that there would be less skill involved because you would just look for the #1 and #2s, rather than having to look at matchups and long-range guys as well.

It values possession receivers and running backs more. You need that added value if you play in larger leagues, and even if you don't its still a nice thing to have. Players like Matt Forte, Wes Welker, and Darren Sproles would be nearly worthless without PPR. They aren't worthless in the NFL to their respective teams, so that value should translate to fantasy as well. Plus I think it helps balance out the WR position to the RB position. It also makes watching the game with your players more interactive.

I think I found what works best for fantasy football: 20 teams, PPR, IDP
Eric21ND
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 18)

Return to Beginner's Forum