Clinton Portis Injury (and who will start if he doesn't) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Clinton Portis Injury (and who will start if he doesn't)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Guv » Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:02 pm

mtarail wrote:I don't know anything new on Portis, but I'd bet that he plays next week.

HOWEVER, as a Portis owner I can tell you that I just picked up Griffin. It's not a lock but I figure it like this: Anderson was hurt earlier this year and was busted for weed possession. I can't imagine that Shanahan liked that. Griffin has gotten some gametime and has practiced with the team all year.

Anderson played today while Griffin was listed as inactive
Guv
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VHawk15 » Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:36 pm

The word is that he has a sprained right knee and ankle. X-Rays were negative, and he'll have an MRI tomorrow.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:38 pm

Two separate injuries like that doesn't bode too well for his chances for next week, unless they are really slight and he is a fast healer. I might be going with Henry and D. Davis next week for my playoff game (yikes).
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby semi-charmed » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:01 am

If it is just a sprain, there's a chance he could play. Light sprains usually take about 2 weeks to heal, but playing next week would leave him at risk of further injury.

Also, X-rays don't give much information. All they can show is the position of the bones in his ankle and knee. The MRI is needed to see whether there is ligament or cartillage damage.

Some possible scenarios:
1. He tore his ACL - surgery, out for season
2. He tore is MCL/LCL - no surgery, but out for season
3. He tore cartillage - depends, but likely out for a week or more
4. Light sprain - likely out for a week, esp. with Anderson as backup
5. Severe sprain - likely cartillage damage, out 4-6 wks

(I'm not a doctor)

Don't really know much about ankle stuff, but if X-rays were negative his ankle is probably fine (ligament damage would prob show misaligned bones).
semi-charmed Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby mtarail » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:07 am

I'm no doctor either, but having had several friends that have torn ACL's and MCL's I can tell you that they are generally extremely painful, and obvious by the nasty sounds that they make when they tear that something very wrong has occurred. If it was something that severe, we would know by now.
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
mtarail
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Portis

Postby The_Commish. » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:35 am

Portis:

Injury Specifics: Sprained Knee / Ankle

Fantasy Status: Portis was helped from the field in the overtime session of Sunday's game against the Browns after injuring his right ankle and knee on the running play prior to the game-winning field goal. The injury occurred when his leg was caught underneath him after being tackled on a 3-yard run. Preliminary X-rays in the locker room were negative but he's schedule to undergo an MRI today. The Broncos have classified the injury as a sprained ankle and sprained knee and while his status for next weekend is unknown, PFS Insiders close to the Broncos organization have been told that Portis could miss a significant amount of time. As soon as the MRI results become available we'll have them for you right here.

http://www.profantasysports.com/TheTrainingRoom.php[/b]
The_Commish.

Friendliness: %

Postby semi-charmed » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:37 am

mtarail, you're right in general, but ACL and MCL tears don't usually hurt from the ligament being torn, it's the cartillage and nerve damage that causes pain. Usually when you tear a ligament in your knee there is a popping sound/feeling but that's not actually the ligament tearing, it's gas bubbles from separation in the knee joint, just like cracking your knuckles. It's possible Portis felt something like that, but that's not necessarily a ligament tear, and in any case the team would hold back any info like that until they knew for sure from an MRI.
semi-charmed Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby 9er Fan » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:38 pm

What about Ruben Droughns? Is he pretty much out of the starting equation?
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby aglio412 » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:36 pm

info from sportingnews.com

Clinton Portis - RB, BroncosDec. 15, 11:03 a.m.The Denver Post reports that a Broncos team official expects Portis to miss at least one game because of the injury he suffered in overtime Sunday. The team will not know Portis' status for certain until MRI results return later Monday.

Fantasy Spin: Portis owners should scramble to add Mike Anderson to the bench in case Portis can't play in Week 16. Keep checking back for news on the all-important MRI.
aglio412
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:00 pm

Shanahan just said on a press conference that Portis is questionable for this weeks game. I just saw this on ESPNews.

Friendliness: %

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk