Why am I the only one IN LOVE with DeAngelo Williams??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Why am I the only one IN LOVE with DeAngelo Williams???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Why am I the only one IN LOVE with DeAngelo Williams???

Postby Metropolitans » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:15 pm

well AT LEAST for the first 6 Weeks!!!??? whenever JStew or DWill were OUT, the other went OFF!!! and now JStew is on the PUP and he may not even be back immediately after he's allowed... DWill could completely "RUN AWAY" with this job, and with ONLY Tolbert to vulture a few GL TDs, i really think DeAngelo Williams could put up Sneaky RB1 Numbers. Plus the recent usage of the "QB Split-Veer Option" (or however u describe it, its different in everyones book) but this has BOOSTED a lot of RBs YPC bc its a read play and isn't easy to defend, especially when Cam Newton is the 'other option'! .... When u couple this with the fact that DWill is being taken OUTSIDE of the Top-70 Picks, you only need to risk a FLEX with DWill and he could end up paying off BIG TIME! Its crazy bc i have him as my Flex in 3 leagues and the league i Co-Manage, the other Manager doesn't even have him on his radar, i just don't get it!!!??? :-S Am i missing something?? I know the negatives, Tolbert and Newton will steal some TDs but DWill is a Dynamic RB when hes the "Featured Back", he can do it all, rush, catch, block, etc... ppl say hes old, well i disagree... he's only 30 which i know is "old in RB years" but he has split carries for the last 5 yrs with JStew so his legs aren't "too worn"... he will DEFINITELY have enough in the tank to put together a full season of AT WORST RB2 & Probably RB1 Numbers.... WHATYA THINK?!?!?!
10Team H2H
(8-1 Record)
QB- Stafford
WR- VJax
WR- Marshall
WR/RB-JNelson
RB- RRice
RB- DMC
TE- Gronkowski
K- Akers
DEF- WW Matchups
Bench- Bradford, Morris, Meachem, JBest, JBaldwin, Ridley
Metropolitans
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Why am I the only one IN LOVE with DeAngelo Williams???

Postby Mr.Joshua » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:54 pm

I'm not really sure.....but a couple of reasons for me is that he is being drafted a tad to early, I always like other guys on the bord more when he is taken, I also think that he has lost a step. At the right price though, he's well worth a rb 3/4
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 210)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby swyck » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:47 am

Mr.Joshua wrote:I'm not really sure.....but a couple of reasons for me is that he is being drafted a tad to early, I always like other guys on the bord more when he is taken, I also think that he has lost a step. At the right price though, he's well worth a rb 3/4

Yahoo ADP has him at 11. Picking are slim down there so IMO that would be the right price. That's where you look from some upside on your bench. Don't draft him as your #2.
swyck
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 4)

Postby GreatAmericanFF » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:20 am

I'm not high on him in that offense. He gets limited carries due to the QB (who had 127 carries to DW's 173) and the spread offense. The argument that Stewart is hurt is fine, but I think Barner is going to surprise some folks. His last 1,000 year season was in 2009 (and he has only had 2 1,000 year seasons. I just don't see him having a big year in this offense with a QB who runs and a team that has shown a desire to use multiple backs. On my own rankings, I have him at RB27.
GreatAmericanFF
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

(Past Year: 2)

Postby FireGoodell » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:32 pm

Metropolitans wrote:well AT LEAST for the first 6 Weeks!!!??? whenever JStew or DWill were OUT, the other went OFF!!! and now JStew is on the PUP and he may not even be back immediately after he's allowed... DWill could completely "RUN AWAY" with this job, and with ONLY Tolbert to vulture a few GL TDs, i really think DeAngelo Williams could put up Sneaky RB1 Numbers. Plus the recent usage of the "QB Split-Veer Option" (or however u describe it, its different in everyones book) but this has BOOSTED a lot of RBs YPC bc its a read play and isn't easy to defend, especially when Cam Newton is the 'other option'! .... When u couple this with the fact that DWill is being taken OUTSIDE of the Top-70 Picks, you only need to risk a FLEX with DWill and he could end up paying off BIG TIME! Its crazy bc i have him as my Flex in 3 leagues and the league i Co-Manage, the other Manager doesn't even have him on his radar, i just don't get it!!!??? :-S Am i missing something?? I know the negatives, Tolbert and Newton will steal some TDs but DWill is a Dynamic RB when hes the "Featured Back", he can do it all, rush, catch, block, etc... ppl say hes old, well i disagree... he's only 30 which i know is "old in RB years" but he has split carries for the last 5 yrs with JStew so his legs aren't "too worn"... he will DEFINITELY have enough in the tank to put together a full season of AT WORST RB2 & Probably RB1 Numbers.... WHATYA THINK?!?!?!

To be fair Tolbert is not the only one that will vulture gl td's. Cam Newton will get a chunk if not the majority of those, but I'm definitely with you on the fact that De Will is being vastly underrated. Stewart is out for at least half the year and if De Will is running strong when or if he returns I don't see it returning to a 50/50 time share split again. Also I love drafting guys that finished the season strong. De Will did that. I think De Will's value will far exceed his ADP. However, I do NOT think he will put up #1 RB numbers. Think about if if you're putting him say, in the top 12, which of the top 12 running backs are you kicking out of that current group? Morris? Mccoy? Richardson? Rice? See my point? I don't think he'll be in that class, but I do think he's being way undervalued. I think he'll end up being a low end to decent #2 RB. In my 12 team standard team drafts, non flex, he's going in round 8 or so in my leagues. I think he'll end up having round 5 or 6 value.
FireGoodell
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:05 pm

Metropolitans wrote:whenever JStew or DWill were OUT, the other went OFF!!!

This is simply not true. I urge you to go back and check some box scores. DWill has been a major disappointment when given what looks like an exclusive crack at the role since cerca 2008.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 10)

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:59 am

I got him as my #4 behind Charles, Bush, and Miller in a .5 ppr league, and I am in love with that. As a 1 or 2, not so much. As someone else posted, he has really done nothing to take advantage of opportunities in the past, but I'm hoping for a couple/few big games so I can dump him off on some chump that took too many WRs and never shored up his backfield.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Delhomme17 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:31 am

I think he'll put up mid-tier RB2 numbers in both PPR and standard formats, which is great given where he's being drafted. I'd rather have him than guys like Miller, Bell, [insert Denver starting RB], Bradshaw, Mendenhall, [insert Jets starting RB], or Mathews.
Delhomme17
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse Team Leader
(Past Year: 509)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:06 pm

In games not against New Orleans last year, DeAngelo Williams averaged 3.3 yards per carry.

He was touted as a huge sleeper prior to week 1 of 2012 and he ended up with 6 rushes for -1 yard and 1 reception for 5 yards, in the opener @TB in which Jonathan Stewart didn't play.

I think the hype on DeAngelo has gotten out of hand, largely based on his ridiculous week 17 in 2012. Teams were annihilating New Orleans' defense late last season; see Dallas's offensive numbers in week 16, NYG's offensive numbers week 14.

He's a starting RB, and he's still got reasonably good speed, but I don't think he's a top 25 fantasy guy at the position. Been burned one too many times.

And if that weren't enough, the matchup is pretty terrible in week 1 vs SEA who were top 5 in total defense and #1 in scoring defense last year.

If D Will goes off, fine. Stranger things have happened, but I don't like him this week, or for the season.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 10)

Postby Cuffs » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:47 pm

I'm in the middle on Williams, but I drafted him in my league and, frankly, my plan is to try to trade him to an RB needy team after he has a few solid weeks.

But he didn't only perform well against NO. In the final 5 games of 2012, when Stewart was out and he was the primary runner, he produced the following total yards from scrimmage:

vs. KC (68 yards from scrimmage/12 carries/1 rec./5.6 ypc)
vs. Atl (112 yards from scrimmage/17 carries/3.3 ypc/2 rec./1 rec. TD)
vs. SD (144 yards from scrimmage/22 carries/4.2 ypc/2 rec.)
vs. Oak. (48 yards from scrimmage/10 carries/1.9 ypc/2 rec.)
vs. NO (213 yards from scrimmage/21 carries/2 rush TD/10 ypc/1 rec.)

So he only had 3 TDs in that span, but he exceeded 100 total yards from scrimmage in 60% of those games. One game can fairly be called a dud (Oakland), and the KC game was bad but not awful. Plenty of RB2 quality players leave you with a 6.8 every now and then.

I agree the NO game was an aberration, but I don't agree that that was his only worthwhile output. While Stewart is out, Williams definitely has value. I don't see that much more value in a PPR league because even without Stewart he doesn't get a high volume of receptions (averaged less than 2 rec. per game). But he tends to produce well enough in the receiving game to help offset a mediocre ypc average in the running game.

I like Williams OK, but I do not like him as much as Bradshaw or Bell for the long haul. I think those guys have more assured roles in the offense, regardless of what other players on their teams do. Williams value is contingent on Stewart's absence. I think if you have Williams, you are best off in a sell high frame of mind, because you can't rely on him to produce when you really need it in the playoffs.
Cuffs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 35)

Next

Return to Football Talk