Joe Horn,can ya hear me now? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Joe Horn,can ya hear me now?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby deftdelivery » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:59 pm

MMH wrote:
VHawk15 wrote:It's just a game, Horn was trying to get the crowd excited and to get attention for him and his team. He did just that. All this media hoopla is ridiculous, he didn't hurt anyone nor defend any of his opponents. Heck, the guy even told his kids that he was going to do it to say hi to them. Give the guy a break, he scored 4 TD's and lead his team to a crucial win. He deserved to celebrate.

Totally agree. People can be so damned miserable tese days. he scored 4 TDs what do people want him to do? Shake everybodies hand and say "oh jolly good pass aaron, I very much appreicate that, good show old chap!"

As long as he didnt drop his pants and bare his ass or do anything offensive i really dont see the problem. Why people want to take some fun out of the game beats me.

And if he is phoning his kids, well thats quality ;-D

I completely agree - what puts the fans in the stands? ENTERTAINEMENT...same reason we watch it every night. We don't wanna see 6-0 bore fests (Jets STEELERS, you )$#*$(&#'ers!) Cmon, it's all GOOD FUN
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby VHawk15 » Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:02 pm

Exactly, now we are getting some reasonable people. Unless you're a 75 year old white man, I don't understand why you wouldn't like this kinda stuff.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby srthree » Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:27 pm

I love it. He'll probably get get a cell-phone commercial deal out of it. It will air during the Super Bowl. The sponsor will even pay his fine for him.

Bring back Billy White Shoes Johnson and the Fun Bunch. The cabbage patch and Denver's 3 amigos. Gastineu's sack dance and (yikes) the Ickey Shuffle. The Fridge, the Lambeau leap and whatever it was the Rams used to do a few years ago.

If it weren't for guys like T.O., Deion, Sapp, etc, there would be nobody to loathe and football could be just a little less interesting. Not that I want everyone to have a gimmick, cause it would get real boring, but a few characters is ok with me.
Any given Sunday...
srthree
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:02 am

Deion, by far, had the best end zone dances I've ever seen. Johnnie Morton's are the best this year I think. Plus there's something about the simplicity of Priest's endzone celebration that I like too.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby V-unit » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:23 am

The best celebration this year goes to LT's Celebration after he caught 75yd TD on the Lions.LT just handed off the ball to the Ref like it was no biggie.I dont see anything wrong with what Horn did but if i was a Defensive player on the Giants and got offended I would of grad his cell and smash it.
V-unit
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Chopper » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:29 am

At risk of sounding like some 75 year old white guy, I'm going to have to chime in on the 'poor taste' side of the argument.

What everyone, especially us fantasy players, seems to forget is that football is a TEAM GAME. Keyshawn, TO, Sapp (and now maybe Horn) have put themselves above the team. They have demonstrated to the world that by their antics, and by their penalties and risks of suspension: "I, NFL Superstar am more important than my team. I am good and I 'deserve' the right to celebrate as I see fit, the rules and my team be damned!"

I am also concerned about the affect that these immature soloists have on young athletes today. I have coached young people in a variety of sports for years and I am increasingly distressed at the attitudes some of these kids bring to the field. Selfishness is detrimental to team sports and today's professional athletes are having a profound affect on our young peoples' attitude towards themselves and on team sports.
“The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game. They just ran out of time.”
Vince Lombardi
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:27 am

I agree with Chopper's point about it being a team game. What if Horn did that against a team that isn't such a bunch of quitters. A real D would have been gunning for Horn and put him out of the game. How would that have helped the team? Primadonnas :-t

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby MMH » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:59 pm

Football is a team game for sure but that shouldnt mean you cant have a bit of fun. Michael Lewis was involved too....

Sometimes it can go too far for sure. Anything that could cause a possible riot should be stamped all over asap but the Horn celebration wasnt that bad. If he produced an NYG shirt and took a dump on it or something then i could understand the problem.

It was a bit OTT certainly and i would much prefer a stupid dance or something but it was pretty memorable and there is too much focus on taking the fun out of sports these days.

The attitude towards kids is a fair point but sadly thats the way of the world these days, if they dont learn their attitude of footballers they will pick it up elsewhere. Celebrations make the fans happy for the most part and that should be the focus.

Players celebrate good plays all the time anyway, be it a defensive player stopping a play or a nice 10 yard game. Just because one guy could get a sack or something doesnt mean that he thinks he is the only guy who made it happen. At the same time it doesnt mean that he should not be happy either.

Besides phoning his kids and family is a cool thing to do in my eyes.
MMH
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby fntsyrookie » Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:24 pm

Chopper wrote:At risk of sounding like some 75 year old white guy, I'm going to have to chime in on the 'poor taste' side of the argument.

What everyone, especially us fantasy players, seems to forget is that football is a TEAM GAME. Keyshawn, TO, Sapp (and now maybe Horn) have put themselves above the team. They have demonstrated to the world that by their antics, and by their penalties and risks of suspension: "I, NFL Superstar am more important than my team. I am good and I 'deserve' the right to celebrate as I see fit, the rules and my team be damned!"

I am also concerned about the affect that these immature soloists have on young athletes today. I have coached young people in a variety of sports for years and I am increasingly distressed at the attitudes some of these kids bring to the field. Selfishness is detrimental to team sports and today's professional athletes are having a profound affect on our young peoples' attitude towards themselves and on team sports.

Agreed 100%. Also everybody keeps talking about taking the fun out of the game....let them have fun...blah blah blah. Isn't that what games are in and of themselves? Fun? I mean c'mon you've got grown men being paid millions of dollars to have fun (play the game). Taking the fun out of it isn't even a valid argument to me. They already should be having fun.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby RWLongy4 » Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:36 pm

As much as people would not like to admit it, such "antics" are bringing in ratings and viewers. Controversy sparks interest. Those who saw the cell phone celebration may have been disgusted but it gives them something to talk about at the watercooler at work the next day. For example, when Howard Stern first hit the air there were many critics. They then found that those who were disgusted by the talk show actually listened longer then those who liked the show. Someone who maybe isn't a regular football viewer may be more apt to watch football getting a kick out of the celebration. As much as the NFL would love to punish Joe and make an example of him he probably ended up doing them a favor. As someone mentioned earlier football is about entertainment and sometimes it gets old watching a bunch of guys running up and down the field without any display of emotion.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk