How do you spell MVP? P-O-R-T-I-S - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Denver Broncos

How do you spell MVP? P-O-R-T-I-S

Moderator: Football Moderators

How do you spell MVP? P-O-R-T-I-S

Postby Orange and Blue » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:41 am

When you talk about the greatest RBs of all time, the Hall of Famers, you can't get away without mentioning Jim Brown- the guy with all the stats that really matter. I mean, 105 yards per game, 5.1 yards per carry... how on earth could you top that?

Draft Clinton Portis and put him in a run-friendly scheme. He's now gone over 100 for *6* straight. In his 2 years, he is averaging 120+ yards in games he starts, and over 5.5 yards per carry (5.8 so far this year). Right now, he is #2 in rushing yards in the NFL, despite having significantly fewer carries than the #1 (over a half a yard more per carry). All of this is despite the fact that he's missed the equivalent of 2 games so far this season (all of Detroit, half of SD- where he rushed for 129 on 12 carries in the first half, and half of Oakland). With his ypg average, he'd have a very sizeable lead over Lewis, and would be knocking on the door of 2000 yards. He's answered questions about his durability with 2 30+ carry performances in 3 weeks. Against KC and SD, he could have given Lewis's new record a run for its money. He's the third back in history to top 1500 for his first 2 seasons (after Edge and Dickerson). Not only that, but he has none of the fumble problems of Jamal Lewis, is #2 in rushing TDs, and can catch, too. Oh, and in case you'd forgotten, he put up 5 TDs in 3 quarters vs. the Chiefs. And yet, for some unknown reason, his name NEVER comes up in MVP talks. Holmes and Lewis both VERY DESERVEDLY get their names brought up in MVP conversations, but the fact of the matter is that Holmes is just one part of a very spread offense, and Lewis isn't even the MVP of his team. He isn't even the best guy named Lewis on his team.

If Portis's injury isn't severe (and I'm going to say extra prayers tonight that it's not), I see him coming back and potentially breaking 1800 yards. I see him finishing with 17-18 TDs. I also firmly believe that, with the exception of Manning and McNair, no single player is so PIVOTAL to the success of his team as Portis is. I also believe that no running back is performing at a higher level than Portis. So where's the love?
CP:TD::Sanders:Smith
Orange and Blue
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby SinCity » Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:51 pm

I spell it Manning, since he's going to win it.
SinCity
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Tim_ffc » Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:14 pm

SinCity wrote:I spell it Manning, since he's going to win it.

I agree. Though Portis is good, Manning is certainly the best candidate.
Tim_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Orange and Blue » Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:08 am

I'm not saying Portis deserves to win. I agree with both of you that Manning is probably the most deserving (although McNair is probably more valuable to his franchise). However, I think it's a crime that Jamal Lewis and Priest Holmes get their names mentioned in the same sentence as MVP, while Portis is invisible.
CP:TD::Sanders:Smith
Orange and Blue
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby emaja » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:35 am

Orange and Blue wrote:However, I think it's a crime that Jamal Lewis and Priest Holmes get their names mentioned in the same sentence as MVP, while Portis is invisible.

I think the fact that Holmes has 8 more TD's and Lewis has more yards has something to do with that. I know Portis missed time with injuries (and will apparently miss more), but you can't factor in "if he only didn't miss time" in the voting.

Don't get me wrong, I love Portis, but he will get his attention and awards soon enough. Sheesh, it's only his second year.
emaja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Location: Wearing the PB with pride looking for my Bears crack pipe...

Return to Denver Broncos