Matthews - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to IDP

Matthews

Matthews

Postby martymar63b » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:25 pm

Why is it in some leagues I see that Clay Matthews isnt that great anymore. Did I miss something?
martymar63b
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Matthews

Postby wtr23 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:16 pm

Because Clay Matthews hasn't been a great fantasy asset for the most part. He's a big name everyone recognizes, that doesn't mean he's a great fantasy player. Matthews is more important to his team than he is to a fantasy football roster. A couple reasons for that:

1) position- Matthews is an outside linebacker. Generally speaking outside linebackers do not produce as much from a fantasy aspect as a middle linebacker, those guys are the ones you target in your fantasy draft. They have more tackle opportunities and rack up more points.

2) low tackle numbers Matthews just hasn't done enough to warrant a high draft pick with these low tackle numbers. His sack numbers are above average, yes, but he has only surpassed 50 tackles once in his career. In fantasy football, if you aren't putting up 70-80 tackles you won't be drafted as more than bench depth.

3) turnovers- The other major stat category of concern. Matthews has not really created many turnovers in his career... 8 forced fumbles, 3 recoveries, and 4 interceptions.

On top of that, he had some health issues last season. People tend to approach that cautiously.

All in all, Clay Matthews has done little in my eyes to earn a spot anywhere on my roster. Sure the announcers call his name, praise him for the work he does on the field. He gets in the backfield and wreaks havoc on opposing QBs. But beyond the sack numbers he has been a disappointing player in terms of fantasy, one I'd only ever take in a bye week scenario unless there's a dramatic turn around this season. He is a leader on the field and a crowd favorite, but your IDP studs are the guys that get dirty and finish plays.
(sig by soty)
wtr23
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 242)

Re: Matthews

Postby martymar63b » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:04 pm

thanks for the advice, never really got deep into like that, so it helped a lot. I have him as a back up LB on one of my NFL.com leagues. Might ait a few games to see if he has a turn around, if not ill drop him, thanks again
martymar63b
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to IDP