Am I just a chump? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Am I just a chump?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Am I just a chump?

Postby JustAGuy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:35 pm

I would like to hear unbiased opinions. My brother runs a 12-team league with ages ranging from 7 (my son) to 69 (my dad). Last year, most of us took the Yahoo autodraft players and went from there. This year my brother switched from defense to defensive players. I told him my son would like that since now he has a chance to get his favorite player JJ Watt. On Aug. 14 I got an email confirming registration. The next e-mail I got was Sept. 2, containing a trade request from my brother, offering JJ Watt, Patrick Willis and Frank Gore to my son’s team in exchange for Adrian Peterson. Even my son knows AP is a stud, and he still hesitated even with the chance to get his favorite player. But I showed him how to check it using the Trade Evaluator and it showed very positive for my son and a significant negative for my brother. This surprised me since last year my brother spammed me with insultingly one-sided trade offers. But I figured he was doing my son a solid in his first year playing. So we accepted the trade. Yes, that’s right, I’m a chump and my son paid for it—his instincts were better than mine!

So after accepting the trade, I looked around at the details of everyones’ teams, and finally realized that Yahoo doesn’t really autodraft defensive players. Ten of us had miscellaneous garbage for defensive players (ELEVEN slots of defensive players, I thought he meant just one!), while my brother and one other player had helped themselves to all the best ones. I benched all my players and told my brother that I would help my boys (I also have a 9-year old playing) but I wasn’t playing in an unfair league. He replied that I had plenty of opportunity to get defensive players, and that he didn’t do anything unfair—what’s more, he had done my son a big favor by offering such a generous trade. Now I’m slow but I’m not stupid. The draft evaluator works on comparisons to replacements. Since my brother had no backups at the two defensive positions and my son had garbage, of course the trade looked lopsided in my son’s favor—that was the genius of offering a three-for-one trade. After the trade, he can simply pick up two more decent defensive players to backfill the positions and come out way ahead.

I also found on the league message board, he had posted this on Aug. 19:
“I plan on setting ‘Draft Ready’ next Monday (8/26). Last time, it took ~36 hours to draft. But please plan on having your customized pre-draft rankings in by the 26th. If the draft happens in the few days after that, there will be sufficient time to customize team and do some initial trades or whatnot.

Major changes from 2012 (but please review all scoring):
- Individual defensive players instead of team defense
- Bonus points for receivers at various yardage totals (semi-matching rushing and passing)
- Fewer offense spots (down 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, plus 1 RB/WR flex spot)
- A few other minor changes (INTs cost more, higher fraction points/reception, etc.)

Good luck and, most importantly, HAVE FUN!"

So is it my fault for not checking the message board and figuring out how to draft defensive players in Yahoo (I still don’t know) and/or jumping in for the post-draft player-grab? Did the commissioner act unfairly? And finally, does this league sound like fun to you?
JustAGuy
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Am I just a chump?

Postby T-Lo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:40 am

I understand the frustration and he certainly was taking advantage of it a bit knowing Watt was your son's favorite, but for an IDP league, I honestly think what he gave is generous, or at the least, fair [without taking into account what may have been available in FA/WW].

AP is a stud, but Watt is THE IDP stud. The only one close to him right now is Luke Kuechly. Either of them could fall from their ivory tower and join the mortals, but for now, they are held in high regard.

Willis is aging but still has LB 1 value, be it at the lower end.

And to top it off he gave Frank Gore over. Once again, an aging player, but he has consistently held good value and will for at least another year. This way your son got Watt, a good LB, and a RB even though it was a downgrade. AP is of course ADP #1. Gore is ADP#32, Watt is ADP#62, and Willis is ADP#113. So your son gave a #1 pick for a [12 team league assumption] round 4, round 6, and round 9 pick. The only thing I would have tried to have changed at all would be to get a better RB than Gore out of the deal and drop Willis from the trade. That could have been a bit more fair. Then your son would have gave up the #1 pick for something like a round 2 or 3 pick and Watt [ADP Round 6]. Was your brothers best RB Gore, or was that his 2nd/3rd stringer?

But yes, Yahoo [which I play 5 of my leagues on], sucks at ranking defensive players. It is garbage really. Even while in draft, navigating the IDP players without manually searching their name is a joke. They don't even have a LB, DL, S, etc. section by themselves like RB, WR, and TE do. I would blame it more on Yahoo itself. Switching to IDP requires more research and knowledge otherwise you will find yourself switching a lot of LB/DE/DB the first few weeks when you see your players get shit for points compared to the free agents on the market.

Also, I blame them for their shit format change. The old skin was much better.
T-Lo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 68)

Postby JustAGuy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:32 am

Thanks T-Lo, I'm glad to hear that you think the trade was fair. But what irks me more than the trade is the way the defensive players were acquired in the first place:
1. Changing league format without input from other players in a continuing league.
2. Not effectively communicating the changes.
3. Picking up 7 defensive players from waiver wire before ten of twelve owners even knew that the draft had occurred. (JJ Watt was the first waiver wire acquisition)
JustAGuy

Postby DTMan » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:16 am

I don't think there's much you can do about the trade.

I do think the commish acted arbitrarily and that the lineup and scoring changes you describe are too drastic to make without considerable input from the other owners. 11 IDPs makes for a far different game than a league with one DEF team.

Since it sounds like you've got a family-type league with kids playing and I assume there's not a lot of money at stake, I'd probably live with the changes for this year. I'd look at the new format as an experiment, try to make the most of it, and tell your brother that going forward these types of changes need to be discussed with the other owners and communicated earlier and through email rather than a post on the message board.

Good luck.

Dan
DTMan
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)

Postby JustAGuy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:18 pm

Thanks Dan, what you say makes a lot of sense.
JustAGuy

Return to Commissioner's Corner