The Portis Impact - Full Circle??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Portis Impact - Full Circle???

Moderator: Football Moderators

The Portis Impact - Full Circle???

Postby CellarDweller » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:25 pm

from discussion post: http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... hp?t=51933
In our leage, a team who barely made the playoffs knocked out his division champ solely because of Portis. Given the timing of Clinton's big day, I was wondering, how many other teams lost in the first round of playoffs due to Portis?

Well it looks like the teams who have CP and were able to knock opponants out of the playoffs in week 14, may be in a rough spot in week 16 due to his injury. Will he play or won't he? Regardless it looks like the FF gods believe in Karma.

So what is everyone's take on the C. Portis? He missed a few games in the beginning of the season, and now may miss another as the NFL post season is being decided. I know a few guys who have held onto M. Faulk, in their keeper league, over the past two seasons and have regretted it. When he plays, he's great, but he can't seem to play all 16 games. Will Portis be as frustrating as Faulk? And is he worth keeping over a McAllister, A. Green or J. Lewis?
the... C e l l a r D w e l l e r
CellarDweller
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby VHawk15 » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:35 pm

Sure, Portis has gotten injured a couple of times this year but he's still a top 3 RB and a uber stud. It was his coach's fault that he got injured, not his.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:31 pm

VHawk15 wrote:Sure, Portis has gotten injured a couple of times this year but he's still a top 3 RB and a uber stud.

I agree completely that he's a top back. But when I draft players, one key factor for me is health. This is why I usually pass on players like Faulk and McNair. I want reliability! (well at much as the NFL offers)

Let's face it, Portis does not lead RBs in rushing (J.Lewis), TDs (Holmes), receiving yards (L.T.) or yds from scrimage (L.T.)! Is he near the top of all those ctagories - YES. Would I keep him over those other guys, nope. Once again - they stay healthy. So I know that other than the bye weeks, they will probably play. With Portis and Faulk you KNOW they will miss a game or two.

Friendliness: %

Postby altproject » Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:37 pm

if there's one thing you can say about star RBs is that none of them are ever truly healthy. all of them have nagging injuries. all of them. until someone gets something scoped, i don't really worry about it. yeah, portis missed a game earlier in the year (and possibly one this next week coming up), but that's pretty standard for almost any top back in any given season. doesn't matter if you're LT, priest, a green, jam lewis, etc -- everyone's going to miss a game from time-to-time.

now, guys like faulk and fred taylor seem to be in a different category. these guys have long-term recurring injuries. don't make the mistake of lumping portis into this group just yet simply because he spained an ankle.
20 Team League | 11-3 | 5th Place
--------------------------------------------
Q: Kitna, Flutie
R: Henry, Portis, T. Jones, Rudi, Griffin, Burns
W: Chambers, Ward
T: Shockey
K: Elling
D: Bills
altproject
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby VHawk15 » Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:41 pm

Anonymous wrote:
VHawk15 wrote:Sure, Portis has gotten injured a couple of times this year but he's still a top 3 RB and a uber stud.

I agree completely that he's a top back. But when I draft players, one key factor for me is health. This is why I usually pass on players like Faulk and McNair. I want reliability! (well at much as the NFL offers)

Let's face it, Portis does not lead RBs in rushing (J.Lewis), TDs (Holmes), receiving yards (L.T.) or yds from scrimage (L.T.)! Is he near the top of all those ctagories - YES. Would I keep him over those other guys, nope. Once again - they stay healthy. So I know that other than the bye weeks, they will probably play. With Portis and Faulk you KNOW they will miss a game or two.

Portis might not even miss a game because of these injuries and you act like he's the next Fred Taylor. Portis is only in his sophmore season and he has a bright future ahead. The difference between him and Faulk is the age. Faulk gets injured and he's pretty much past his prime, but Portis is only in his 2nd year!

And give me a break on the stats. Portis has more rushing yards than Priest and LT, more TD's than LT and Lewis, and more receiving yards than Lewis. And did I mention he hasn't even played all the games? If receptions count, I would keep Portis over Lewis. If they don't, I would keep him over LT and probably Lewis as well. And even though he's good, Priest is getting rather old.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby 9er Fan » Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:17 pm

So what is everyone's take on the C. Portis? He missed a few games in the beginning of the season, and now may miss another as the NFL post season is being decided. I know a few guys who have held onto M. Faulk, in their keeper league, over the past two seasons and have regretted it. When he plays, he's great, but he can't seem to play all 16 games. Will Portis be as frustrating as Faulk? And is he worth keeping over a McAllister, A. Green or J. Lewis?

Going into this year, many people were saying he's too small to be an every down back without getting hurt. So far, I'd have to say they were right... That said, Portis is so good when he plays, I'd cross my fingers and keep him over McAllister and Lewis, but probably not Green, LT or Holmes... so 4th overall.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:42 pm

I have Portis and I would really like to have him this week for the Super Bowl, but I think I will have to plug in Hambrick instead. It doesn't look too good for us, they are saying the kind of injury he has could keep a guy out up to 8 weeks. It is the kind of injury Candidate had earlier in the year and never went away until he sat for about 5 weeks.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby tjhksig » Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:50 pm

So I guess since he missed two games last year, Priest is 'injury prone". Guess we better put A. Green in there too since he missed a game last year. Member how Lewis tore his ACL and missed a whole season? He should be put in there too.

Sheesh. The guy has missed ONE game and might not even missed this week.
tjhksig
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk