Who is this years Alfred Morris - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who is this years Alfred Morris

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who is this years Alfred Morris

Postby CRob44 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:05 pm

so it would have to be someone that was drafted in the last round or someone that is the #3 or 4 rb on a team. I say none. There will be no Alfred Morris player this year that was undrafted . Don't be like others and say you drafted Morris in round 10 last year because you didn't.
CRob44
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Who is this years Alfred Morris

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:06 pm

I was high on Morris last year and he was drafted in all of my leagues (mostly by me), albeit cheaply. By the time the third preseason game happened, it was abundantly clear that he was at least the #2 RB on Washington. Morris started that game and sat out the final preseason game which is usually the recipe for a week 1 starter, but Helu had been injured for most of the preseason and finally started, and shined in, that last preseason game. If it had not been for the Helu situation, I would have spent a top 100 pick or double digits in auction on Morris, but that last week of preseason really confused me and everyone else, which only served to allow me to get him for even cheaper.

That said, I'm a Redskins fan so I was more plugged in to every little thing about our preseason depth chart than most people.

As far as your question, I'd simply say that nobody really fits that same mold, but one of the handcuff guys will be the closest thing. Christine Michael comes to mind.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ampant » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:52 pm

I'd love for it to be Darryl Richardson since I kept him for a 16th round pick. But I doubt that will be the case.

As far as week 1 rookie starters being fantasy productive, I am thinking Lamar Miller or Gio Bernard have the best shot of cracking the top 20 in terms of fantasy RB production.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Broham » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:40 pm

Gio Bernard has the highest chance IMO. The problem is that he is in a time share that will only be broken if the law firm gets hurt. However, I think he has top 10 potential in a ppr. Plus he drives a mini van ;-D
Broham
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby wtr23 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:46 am

Thing is, Gio isn't going undrafted/late, which was the point of this post (late round, big potential). He's been hyped so much that he goes before Deangelo Williams, Daryl Richardson, and other guys that actually start. I'm not saying Gio doesn't have the potential to start, he could very well be the starter by mid season if BJGE runs out of gas. I just can't label him as 'this years Morris', and a lot of people are in for a disappointing season if he can't secure that starter spot.

That said, I don't really see any potential Morris situations arising this year. I'd like to say Lance Dunbar of the Cowboys, if/when Murray goes down I feel like he can put up some solid numbers as Murray did 2 years ago filling in for an injured Felix Jones. If we could pick any position at all, I'd go Julius Thomas at TE. Obviously he's not gonna get you 2 TDs a week, but Manning has had success with TEs in the past and with so many targets in the Denver pass attack I think Thomas can do some damage this year.
(sig by soty)
wtr23
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 224)

Postby daullaz » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:11 am

Odds are it doesn't happen, but if it does, it'll likely be one of the two Arizona RBs: Stepfan Taylor (5th rounder) or Andre Ellington (6th rounder).

Rashard Mendenhall and Ryan Williams haven't exactly been paragons of health, and neither has been particularly effective when on the field. Even during Mendenhall's last big season in 2010, he averaged just 3.9 yards per carry. He had a 4.1 mark in 2011 and a 3.6 mark in 2012 before the injury. Williams was at 2.8 last year. It's very easy to envision a scenario where neither of these guys are cutting it for Arizona and they turn to one of the rookies.

Of the rookies, Taylor looks like the much better option at this point. He appears to be the direct backup behind Mendenhall (with Williams likely splitting time with him should Mendenhall go down). I don't know that Taylor can be incredibly successful in that Arizona offense the way Morris was in Washington, but he figures to be the most likely late-round RB to get playing time.

Others:

Wouldn't be surprised to see Kenjon Barner work his way into playing time in Carolina if he can get healthy. An injury to Doug Martin could open things up for Mike James (I don't think Brian Leonard would work as a feature back). Joseph Randle is probably the most talented late-round back and DeMarco Murray might not be the long-term starter there if he can't stay healthy.

And I'm obviously talking about late-round rookies in this assessment to more fully follow the Alfred Morris parallels.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Warpigs » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:30 pm

Two of my favorite to break out this year after going mostly undrafted in leagues are Roy Helu and Joique Bell. In my five bold predictions for 2013 column, I prognisticate that Mr. Helu outscores Alfred Morris in Washington and go from there.

What I say about Helu:
Yes, I saw Alfred Morris last year and he catapulted my personal dynasty league team to a championship after LeSean McCoy went down to injury. He was a first-round selection in many drafts this year.
However, I have my concerns. First, Morris is nearly a non-factor in the passing game. He allegedly worked on that this offseason, but his skill set is based on pure running. Helu, on the other hand, is a more complete player. He offers a nice check-down option out of the backfield and for a Redskins squad looking to better protect young phenom QB Robert Griffin III, Helu provides a nice security blanket.
Also, there has been much research on how a major increase in usage can affect a running back. Those who see a significant uptick in carries from one season to the next typically see some regression the following year. Morris is young enough to buck that trend, but it still provides another red flag when considering his outlook for 2013.
Lastly, while coach Mike Shanahan has shown the ability to stay loyal to certain backs over the years (Terrell Davis and Clinton Portis among them), he is more recently known to switch things up based on whoever has the hottest hand. Helu, over the past month, has shown a really hot hand.
With all that considered, I’m not basing my prediction on Helu totally taking over the top spot in the Redskins backfield. I think that up front, he’ll get enough carries supplementing Morris to be dangerous, especially in PPR formats. Just don’t be surprised if those stats add up in December weighing more heavily on Helu’s side.

The full column:
http://dailyitem.com/0200_sports/x865771474/Daily-Item-fantasy-football-5-bold-predictions-for-the-2013-NFL-season
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Return to Football Talk