Had a bad first week and draft day, how to recover? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Had a bad first week and draft day, how to recover?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Had a bad first week and draft day, how to recover?

Postby iceberg11 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:30 pm

Well I will start this by saying I know a bit about football as in the big names and how the game is played, but after that I start to lose knowledge, so when some friends of mine asked me to play fantasy with them I was a bit apprehensive, but I decided I only had a few bucks to lose. So anyway, I got through draft day knowing very little and my team really reflects that. So first week comes around and my team is the worst in my entire league of ten guys. I am projected to get about 80 points which from what I hear is quite weak. So anyway, we had a 10 person draft, with all normal rules and 7 people on the bench and here is my team:

QB Tom Brady, NE QB
RB Arian Foster, Hou RB
RB David Wilson, NYG RB
WR Dez Bryant, Dal WR
WR Torrey Smith, Bal WR
TE Brent Celek, Phi TE
FLEX Montee Ball, Den RB
D/ST Seahawks D/ST D/ST
K Blair Walsh, Min K

Bench James Jones, GB WR
Bench Russell Wilson, Sea QB
Bench Jared Cook, StL TE
Bench Ronnie Hillman, Den RB
Bench Isaac Redman, Pit RB
Bench Steven Hauschka, Sea K
Bench Saints D/ST D/ST

I think the first thing I need to do is drop one of my QBs and try to grab another RB, WR, or TE. I also should probably try to drop my extra kicker and defense but I dont think anyone will trade anything good for them.

So anyway, I thank you guys for any insight you can offer me, my goal is to get into the playoffs (top 4) and from there I might be able to grab some better players and possibly win.
iceberg11
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Had a bad first week and draft day, how to recover?

Postby Venom » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:25 pm

First and foremost...welcome to the Cafe.

As far as your team goes, I see three things I would do. First off, dump the Saints D and your extra kicker. The Saints give up a ton of points, and you will never start them over Seattle, who is the arguably best D/ST to have....and having an extra K is a waste of a sleeper RB/WR. Sort your RB/WR free agents by points scored and go from there. Bell from Detroit is my favorite grab this week for RB due to Bush's injury history. Lastly, start Jared Cook over Brent Celek. Week 1 was a huge game for him and you don't want to miss out a second time. Also keep and eye on Wilson...he may not start next week due to his two fumbles.

Your team is actually quite good. I have 2 money league teams and they are both 0-1 after a crazy Week 1. I am not doing anything except swapping out defenses. Its much too early to be worried. Give it a few weeks. If you get to 0-3...then we can talk ;-D
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Postby c1turbo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:10 pm

You can drop Blair Walsh and pick up a waiver for a WR. Perhaps Hartline or Edelman. They can start in your week 2 flex spot.
You can put in Cook as TE and he will be your #1 and has upside of top 3 TE.
You have 2 QB's that can start every week. I would look into dealing one of them.
For me Brady has a great reputation and can get alot of return. You need to upgrade your WR2 spot and consider Torrey Smith as a flex.

You can stay put at RB, but Arian looks like a timeshare now along with wilson. However, both can go off any week. And Wilson values is low right now.
Tom Brady can probably fetch you a tier 2 WR - Cobb, Cruz, Wayne, Amendola, Boldin, VJax. Try to find someone who has a depth at WR and needs upgrade at QB.

QB Tom Brady, NE QB
RB Arian Foster, Hou RB
RB David Wilson, NYG RB
WR Dez Bryant, Dal WR
WR Torrey Smith, Bal WR
TE Brent Celek, Phi TE
FLEX Montee Ball, Den RB
D/ST Seahawks D/ST D/ST
K Blair Walsh, Min K

Bench James Jones, GB WR
Bench Jared Cook, StL TE
Bench Saints D/ST D/ST
c1turbo
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 28)

Postby iceberg11 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:41 pm

Venom wrote:First and foremost...welcome to the Cafe.

As far as your team goes, I see three things I would do. First off, dump the Saints D and your extra kicker. The Saints give up a ton of points, and you will never start them over Seattle, who is the arguably best D/ST to have....and having an extra K is a waste of a sleeper RB/WR. Sort your RB/WR free agents by points scored and go from there. Bell from Detroit is my favorite grab this week for RB due to Bush's injury history. Lastly, start Jared Cook over Brent Celek. Week 1 was a huge game for him and you don't want to miss out a second time. Also keep and eye on Wilson...he may not start next week due to his two fumbles.

Your team is actually quite good. I have 2 money league teams and they are both 0-1 after a crazy Week 1. I am not doing anything except swapping out defenses. Its much too early to be worried. Give it a few weeks. If you get to 0-3...then we can talk ;-D

Thanks for the welcome and the advice, I already dropped the saints D, and picked up the browns for this week only (Seattle is playing SF). I dropped my kicker for Eddlemen, I could've grabbed bell but I decided I couldn't pass up on eddlemen beings that Brady is playing at home this week with no reliable targets besides eddlemen and playing the jets. I am probably going to start Cook, but I also saw that Kellen Winslow was open so I picked him up (he is predicted to nearly double cook's points). It looks like Wilson is going to start, but my RBs are looking really rough considering Arain is getting his carries split and Wilson isn't looking all that reliable.

Here is my current roster:
Tom Brady, NE QB
Arian Foster, Hou RB
David Wilson, NYG RB
Dez Bryant, Dal WR
Julian Edelman, NE WR
Kellen Winslow, NYJ TE
Isaac Redman, Pit RB
Browns D/ST D/ST
Blair Walsh, Min K

(Bench as of now)
James Jones, GB WR
Torrey Smith, Bal WR
Russell Wilson, Sea QB
Seahawks D/ST
Jared Cook, StL TE
Ronnie Hillman, Den RB
Brent Celek, Phi TE
iceberg11

Postby iceberg11 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:46 pm

c1turbo wrote:You can drop Blair Walsh and pick up a waiver for a WR. Perhaps Hartline or Edelman. They can start in your week 2 flex spot.
You can put in Cook as TE and he will be your #1 and has upside of top 3 TE.
You have 2 QB's that can start every week. I would look into dealing one of them.
For me Brady has a great reputation and can get alot of return. You need to upgrade your WR2 spot and consider Torrey Smith as a flex.

You can stay put at RB, but Arian looks like a timeshare now along with wilson. However, both can go off any week. And Wilson values is low right now.
Tom Brady can probably fetch you a tier 2 WR - Cobb, Cruz, Wayne, Amendola, Boldin, VJax. Try to find someone who has a depth at WR and needs upgrade at QB.

QB Tom Brady, NE QB
RB Arian Foster, Hou RB
RB David Wilson, NYG RB
WR Dez Bryant, Dal WR
WR Torrey Smith, Bal WR
TE Brent Celek, Phi TE
FLEX Montee Ball, Den RB
D/ST Seahawks D/ST D/ST
K Blair Walsh, Min K

Bench James Jones, GB WR
Bench Jared Cook, StL TE
Bench Saints D/ST D/ST
Thanks for the advice, I am keeping Walsh just because the value of him is next to nothing, I am trying to offload Wilson but I think I am going to have a hard time getting a decent player in exchange in my 10 person league. I also am concerned about Brady due to the recent lack of targets for him, everyone is either injured or not reliable on the pats Offense so I am a bit weary of trading away Wilson at a low price and have no backup is Brady goes into a slump.
iceberg11

Return to Beginner's Forum