Looking for sleepers off waivers? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Looking for sleepers off waivers?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Looking for sleepers off waivers?

Postby joe_montana » Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:42 pm

I need some advice on getting some players off of waivers. The problem is both my running backs have the same bye week. Both my WR's have the same bye week too. My RB's are Ricky Williams, and Marshall Faulk with the backup being Jerome Bettis. The best RB's on waivers are Domonic Rhoads Mike Andreson who both cost about 175 fantasy points, and Kevin Barlow who is only 100. None of these guys are a sure thing to start, and I am not sure I want to play any of those guys even if it is only for one game. Both my WR's also happen to have the same bye week. My starters are Keyshawn and Eric Moulds. My backup is Curtis Conway. There seems to be some better WR's out there. The best there are Antonio Freeman, Dereck Alexander, Ike Hilliard, and Marcus Robinson. I was considering getting Freeman, but he seems to be a bit pricy. (135 Fantasy points) Two guys who caught my eye as bargins were Peter Warick and Az Hakim. Warrick costs 91 and Hakim 86. I am not sure if either of these guys will do well, but I was thinking that if they worked out it would be great.

What do you people suggest I do?
joe_montana
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby a1doug182 » Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:23 pm

As far as the RBs that you have mentioned, Rhodes is out for the season Anderson is going to be the FB while Portis and Gary see the majority of carries, but I like Barlow who is supposed to split time with Hearst. SF has stated that they would like to see both get over 1000 yds rushing this season and if Hearst goes down he has a lot of upside. Now to the WRs. I don't care too much for Freeman or Alexander but Robinson I do like. He shouldn't cost you to much against your cap and has a huge upside, just look at his 1999 numbers, he is a very talented WR if he can stay healthy and if he doesn't pan out you will have an easier time finding another WR.
a1doug182
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby pktbob » Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:11 pm

don't take hakim...i'm in detroit, and nobody's impressed with him yet.

i'd take barlow for sure...what week is the WR problem going to come up? if it's late, drew brees might have figured out how to get the ball to conway on a regular basis, and it depends on who they play. i'd pick up robinson.
pktbob

Friendliness: %

Postby joe_montana » Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:22 pm

I can't get Barlow until tommorow, but then I will pick him up and drop Ricky Dudly by backup tightend who was recently cut by the browns. I am not so sure I am sold on Marcus Robinson, becuase he is the #2 recivier in a not very potent offense. I'll see how he plays this week, and if I think he is worth it I will pick him up. Now all I need is a QB I am more confident with. Here is my team, tell me if you can think of any decent trades:

QB:
Brian Greise (Starter)
Quincy Carter

RB
Marshall Faulk (Starter)
Ricky Williams (Starter)
Jerome Bettis

WR
Keyshawn Johnson (Starter)
Eric Moulds (Starter)

TE
Eric Johnson (Starter)
No Backup

K
Jay Feely (Starter)
Joe Nedney

D
Patriots (Starter)
Browns

What can I do? I am happy with my RB's but not so happy with my QB's and WR's. I won't give up Marshall Faulk but anyone else I would consider trading. What could I get for who?
joe_montana
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby a1doug182 » Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:46 am

Actually Marcus is starting the season as the #3 WR behind Booker and Dez White. And I under stand your concerns and don't blame you. But if your bye weeks for your WRs is late instead of early And Freeman & Alexander were my only other alternatives I would still consider picking him up now. If you wait until he has a decent week there is a very good chance that another owner will beat you to him because you can bet if there is anyone in your league that is knowlegable in fantasy football they will also be watching him. And again I stress if the bye weeks are late in the season you will have time to find an adequate replacement unless your in a league of more than twelve owners. His upside is just so much higher than the other to, everytime he's healthy he puts up very good numbers and your starters are going to carry you any way so if he stays healthy you will end up with the starting caliber WRs. Also I'm not trying to cram my reasoning down your throat I just wanted to explain my reasoning behind my stratagy.

Good Luck,
Doug
a1doug182
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk