Backup QB necessary? Palmer on waivers WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Backup QB necessary? Palmer on waivers WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Backup QB necessary? Palmer on waivers WHIR

Postby goose in my step » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:22 pm

I'm in a 14 team league and everyone has a backup QB, some have 2 backups, except 2 teams. One being me. Palmer just got dropped for Pryor.
The best/only available QBs in the FA pool are Palmer(waivers), Weeden, Ponder and Locker. With such a depleted talent pool should i pick up Palmer for Kenny Britt? Palmer doesnt have the best matchup Week 6 against the Niners, which is when Ryan has his bye. But if Ryan were to get injured I would get stuck with the bottom of the barrel for a QB if someone were to pick up Palmer.

Im not going to burn my waiver claim on him but would rather wait until he becomes a FA tommorow.

What do yall think?

WHIR leave a link

14 Team Standard Scoring Non Keeper- QB-RB1-RB2-WR1-WR2-FLEX-TE-D-K
QB: Matt Ryan
RB: CJ Spiller/Stevan Ridley/Shane Vereen/Ben Tate/Fred Jackson
WR: Pierre Garcon/Antonio Brown/Miles Austin/Kenny Britt/Rueben Randle/Leonard Hankerson
TE: Rob Gronkowski/Julius Thomas
D: Raiders
K: Matt Bryant
goose in my step
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 185)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Backup QB necessary? Palmer on waivers WHIR

Postby fishingmn » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:12 pm

If it was my I'd pick up Palmer.

Depends on how much of a risk taker you are. If Ryan gets hurt and you don't have Palmer you're in a world of hurt and it has a good chance of sinking any chances you have of winning.

Now that said, how likely is it that you could swing a trade? My main league hardly ever has trades as no one wants to be the guy that comes out on the losing end of one. You do have a valuable asset with those 2 TE's. You obviously could try and trade one for a better RB option (if CJ and Ridley look bad again) or you could hold on to both for a bit longer as QB insurance/trade bait.
24 year fantasy football veteran & former writer for www.footballguys.com
fishingmn
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mr. bojangles » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:38 pm

Barring a massive injury bug to your team, i don't see ever needing to play Britt. I would definitely drop him for Palmer. the dropoff from Palmer to those other guys is scary. Better to play it safe and have Palmer for the bye and for worst case scenario of Ryan injury.

Help me: viewtopic.php?t=538257
mr. bojangles
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 4)

Postby audiolaboratory273 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:16 pm

I'm in the same boat as yourself. I don't have a backup QB and could pickup Pryor or Palmer. If I was you I would pick up Palmer and drop Britt.

Can you help me with mine? viewtopic.php?t=538267
audiolaboratory273
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 50)

Postby Senseimatt » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:27 pm

Niners secondary gives up yards, so I wouldn't worry about that. I'd take Palmer and maybe even start him if he can keep the TOs to a minimum...jk he'll throw 15 picks. He's got 3 WRs that all can put up 100YPG, and Fitz is the best Red zone receiver he's ever had. He's worth getting, but you are aware Vereen is on IR right?
Senseimatt
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 16)

Postby goose in my step » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:52 pm

Senseimatt wrote:Niners secondary gives up yards, so I wouldn't worry about that. I'd take Palmer and maybe even start him if he can keep the TOs to a minimum...jk he'll throw 15 picks. He's got 3 WRs that all can put up 100YPG, and Fitz is the best Red zone receiver he's ever had. He's worth getting, but you are aware Vereen is on IR right?

I am aware that Vereen has been placed on IR. However, our FA pool is so thin that he would get snatched up immediately if I were to drop him. And being the Ridley owner I feel better keeping him around for the long term play.

Thats the link to our FA pool

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/freeagency ... sonId=2013
goose in my step
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 185)

Postby Fuqyu » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:10 pm

If you're sold on keeping Vereen on your roster, then I'd drop Randle or Britt perhaps for him. If you couldn't guess from my thread, where I'm anguishing on dropping CarCar even though I have 3 qb's, I am very high on him this season. Unless your league is weird like mine and half a dozen people are running 1 qb, you could be in for trouble come bye week, or especially if Matty Ice gets hurt....which the risk for that is low, given his track record. That being siad, I don't really see either of those receivers having much impact on your team, and feel you would be better off with the insurance.
Fuqyu
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 40)

Postby Senseimatt » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:12 pm

Yup, he's the only dependable on that list. Try and pick up browns w/o a claim. Much better than the raiders. I'm actually surprised no one has browns in a 14 team league. Chiefs could be solid as well, because one year I have to be right saying,"The chiefs could win the wild card, the have a good d and Charles." But definitely get the Browns. They are a safe play and should be on a team.
Senseimatt
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 16)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions