Elias sports bureau changes winning team, haha advice?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Elias sports bureau changes winning team, haha advice??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Elias sports bureau changes winning team, haha advice??

Postby kjmiller127 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:47 pm

So we're in a 10 team PPR League. One of the guys in our league was winning his game (we'll call his team, Team A) Team A 70- Team B 68 going into the Monday night games. Team B had 68 pts. and didn't have any more players starting so team A had already won the head to head matchup. He decides (for whatever reason) that he would bench his 3 players that were going to be playing Monday night (A. Johnson, A. Gates and I forget the 3rd) because he already had the matchup won 70-68. His Team A wins the week by 2 pts against his opponent and is 1-0 while the other team is 0-1. He talked smack well before he won the game, and talked a lot of smack after winning week 1 going on about how strong his team was and how he still won even though he benched 3 players.....

.... Fast forward to Thursday night/Friday morning. Team B that had previously lost had Isaac Redman as one of their RBs. Redman had -3 pts because of lack of yards and a fumble (-4 pts/fumble in our league) during the game against the Titans. The Elias Sports Bureau decided sometime Thursday (4 days after the game) that Redman didn't actually fumble, but that Roethlisburger would be credited with the fumble, thus having Redman's pts. go from -3 to a positive 1, in turn moving team B's final score from week 1 from 68-72 and as a result winning against team A 72-70.

The guy on Team A is pissed beyond all hell and wants us to credit him with a win from week 1 because if he had known Redman didn't fumble he would have been losing going into the Monday night games and would've played his 3 players Monday night. He has a point, but most of us think that it's just on him and that he should have played his players Monday night and that scoring adjustments sometimes happen.

What do you think we should do? Somehow give him a credit for the win (not even sure if this would be possible to change).
kjmiller127
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 52)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Elias sports bureau changes winning team, haha advice??

Postby Johnny Blood » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:31 pm

He absolutely does not have a point. You don't get to retroactively change your decisions. Ever. If you allow that you are guaranteed to create future problems.

Suppose he'd only done the somewhat common move of benching DST in this situation to avoid getting negative points. If you let him get away with this, you have to let people in that situation change their minds, too. In other words they get a nearly guaranteed win no matter whether they make the right choice or not.

If the guy "had known" that stat corrections happen, he wouldn't have done that. Now he knows. Absolutely do not even entertain his ludicrous demand to be able to make lineup decisions after knowing how the players perform.
Johnny Blood
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

(Past Year: 2)

Postby sorcerer » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:45 pm

I realize that this is a bit like closing the barn door after the cows get out, but we've had this rule in our book for over a decade. It isn't progressive, but all players play by the same rules so it is fair.

Any scoring changes done post game by the NFL or Elias Sports Bureau will not be cause for changing the score of any PFL game. Stats reported by our website on the day of the game shall be treated as official.

As far as what you should do for now, I'd have to agree with Johnny Blood that you'll be opening up a can of worms if you allow retroactive changes to occur. Don't you have enough to do as a commissioner without adding any more to your workload? If you allow this, you will be having players asking to have scores changed all the time.
sorcerer
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

(Past Year: 2)

Postby T-Lo » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:01 am

The guy made his own bed and let him lay in it. I think it is simple and straight forward, he lost because he benched his players. Stat corrections are a reality, and the fact he was talking shit, means he definitely deserves the loss.
T-Lo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 75)

Postby jmog » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:47 pm

Our league does not allow "invalid" lineups. You are not allowed to bench someone with the fear of negative points. All players you choose to start count, period.

In your situation I tell him too freaking bad.
jmog
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 25)

Postby Honeybadgers » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:48 am

I know I'm late to the party, but I just had to say I've never seen such a Fantasy Football Karma bitchslap before. Not starting 3 players is an asshole move so this guy got what he deserved.
Honeybadgers
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 42)

Postby FF For Life » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:14 am

sorcerer wrote:I realize that this is a bit like closing the barn door after the cows get out, but we've had this rule in our book for over a decade. It isn't progressive, but all players play by the same rules so it is fair.

Any scoring changes done post game by the NFL or Elias Sports Bureau [b]will not be cause for changing the score of any PFL game. Stats reported by our website on the day of the game shall be treated as official.
[/b]

As far as what you should do for now, I'd have to agree with Johnny Blood that you'll be opening up a can of worms if you allow retroactive changes to occur. Don't you have enough to do as a commissioner without adding any more to your workload? If you allow this, you will be having players asking to have scores changed all the time.

Seems like your rule is backwards. Scoring adjustments are a reality. Mistakes are made and then corrected later on. Your FF league should reflect these changes. You rule should state that adjustments by the NFL and/or Elias sports bureau do occur on occasion.
MY TEAM:
10 team 4 keeper PPR league: (Starters in bold)
QB:Brees,Rivers
RB: A.Peterson. Sproles, Murray (flex), DeAngelo Williams
WR: Julio Jones, Cruz,Garcon, Jeffrey, Douglas, ROyal
TE: Witten
K: Tucker
DEF:Carolina
FF For Life
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Commissioner's Corner