my take on end zone celebrations - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

my take on end zone celebrations

Moderator: Football Moderators

my take on end zone celebrations

Postby Shaffe » Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:45 pm

sorry, i just need to get this off of my chest. i think that end zone celebrations are totally fine. there's nothing wrong with a guy celebrating a touchdown. unless you're priest holmes, it doesn't happen very often. however, the clebration goes to far with sharpies, cell phones, and disrespectful motions (throat slashing, spiking the ball at your opponent, etc.). so as long as no "props" are used (that includes cheerleading pom pons) and it's appropriate in the motion, they can do anything they want.

on a side note, how many of you think it was totally dumb that they got rid of that thing st. louis did with the arms in the circle and whatnot?
Shaffe
Shaffe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:20 pm

You would be referring to the "bob and weave" maneuver. I think they put that under the same rule as the old redskins "fun bunch" celebration. They think that it demeans the other team too much when your entire team goes to the end zone to do a dance.

I love innovative celebrations, but if the No Fun League wants to stop it all, they need to make a rule saying you will be penalized if you do anything other than:
1) hand or throw the ball to the ref
2) spike the ball (that's pretty much a staple now)
3) put the ball down in the end zone
4) carry it off the field without doing a non-sportsmanlike act (although things like the Lambeau Leap I don't think is non-sportsmanlike)

If they aren't willing to do that, then I think anything goes within reason. I think dance moves are kind of stupid, but they look funny doing it in a football uniform, so I don't care so much. Props probably should be banned, but until you see them the first time it's so funny that I don't mind either!
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Chopper » Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:45 pm

Just heard a good suggestion on ESPN radio: Someone called to suggest starting the 40 second play clock as soon as the refs' throw up their hands to signal a TD. Makes sense to me. Limit the celebration or lose your shot at an XP or 2PC.
“The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game. They just ran out of time.”
Vince Lombardi
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Shatner8 » Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:56 pm

I thought it was especially bad that TJ Duckett celebrated after his touchdown against Indianapolis while they were down 31-6. I know the guys on ESPN got on him about it but i really think that this is getting out of hand. Guys are playing for there own stats, not that well-being of the team. You now see defensive players celebrating after they make a tackle or a nice hit. I mean come on dude, you made a tackle get over yourself. This is a very bad thing for Professional football. Im not blaming this on Joe Horn or TJ Duckett, lots of players celebrate and it is really getting out of hand.
Shatner8
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Shatner8 » Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:56 pm

I thought it was especially bad that TJ Duckett celebrated after his touchdown against Indianapolis while they were down 31-6. I know the guys on ESPN got on him about it but i really think that this is getting out of hand. Guys are playing for there own stats, not that well-being of the team. You now see defensive players celebrating after they make a tackle or a nice hit. I mean come on dude, you made a tackle get over yourself. This is a very bad thing for Professional football. Im not blaming this on Joe Horn or TJ Duckett, lots of players celebrate and it is really getting out of hand.
Shatner8
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Mudd » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:23 pm

I don't mind celebrations IF:

1. They aren't premeditated. I don't care about props, but if you hide something to be used later, that's just dumb. I thought the pom pom thing was hilarious.

2. The play is meaningful in the outcome of the game. This goes for first downs and sacks and tackles and all that. Guys celebrating a first down is truly lame, unless it was the nail in the coffin.
Mudd
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:50 pm

What I think is dumb is that they just fine anybody they want. There are no specific rules so theoretically they are fining them just to fine them. They really did nothing wrong. I think celebrating is dumb but I don't think it is wrong. If they want to act dumb that is fine but let them do it. They really aren't hurting anybody and does it really mattter if it is "demeaning to the other team"? That is lame.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Pleasestfuty » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:58 pm

I say screw the other team. If you gave up a TD then you have to deal with someone dancing or spiking the ball in your face. The sharpie and cell phone things seem stupid but it's not hurting the game IMO. Starting the play clock as soon as the ref signals a TD is a great idea. It can only go so far but if you dont kick the PAT before that clock hits 0, then you should lose the extra point attempt, not just a few yards.
Pleasestfuty Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:11 am

Starting the playclock after the TD sounds like a good idea at first but...

Long TD plays, especially defensive TD plays would be rather cumbersome. Some guys who weren't involved in the play would have to rush down and get set while others were coming on the field. It would be equally unfair to the team defending the kick or 2 pt conversion.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:07 pm

I have 2 problems with celebrations ala Horn. what does it say about their game prep that they are hiding props to use if they score? I worry that the celebration becomes more important than the game itself.
The bigger problem I have is that the NFL is turning into the NBA. You know, players that love each orther so much that the season seems more like a traveling circus than basketball. I don't like opposing players helping others up, laughing, and loving on eachother. Football is war, they should be knocking 'em on thier cans and walikng over them. That Horn celebrated was fine, but that the Giant vaginas didn't clock Horn the next route he ran was wrong. That's just not football.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Next

Return to Football Talk