my take on end zone celebrations - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

my take on end zone celebrations

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby BESMIRCHED » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:24 pm

yah i think that using props is taking it too far...but i like the TO celebrations with the pom poms and acting like a mime(?) ... like what else is next?...some guy taking out a lawnmover and start mowing the turf?

it seems all players care about now is self image...not about their own team...

the best celebrations is the one tomlinson does...gets a TD...acts like he has been there b4 and gives the ball to the ref or the one holmes does when he just does a pose before he gets in and gets over with it...
BESMIRCHED
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 9er Fan » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:11 pm

I wonder if this is the first week Horn stashed the cell phone. It's possible he's been hiding it for over a month, which is when he last scored. That would make for one hell of a drawn out TD celebration. Hehe.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:21 pm

I dont know guys, part of me wants to see more elaborate celebrations, more disregard for the other team's "feelings", and pretty much more instigation and trash talk in general. I think they should put up effigies of each team behind each end zone to fascilitate more original and humiliating taunts from the celebrations. I want to get pissed at the other teams. I want to passionately hate every other team but mine, and I want the players on my team to fully feel the taunts, celebrations, and victory dances every time they get scored on. I want retribution with every hit. Give me more passion.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Shatner8 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:25 pm

The thing i really disagree with is when players celebrate WHEN THEY'RE LOSING!!!! I mean C'mon theres no reason to celebrate when your getting your but whooped. I watch alot of Giants games because im from NY and I constantly see there players celebrating after they make a tackle, When they are getting destroyed. They have nothing to celebrate about.
Shatner8
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Wesley Walker » Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:56 pm

Who cares? Any celebration, provided a player doesn't start hitting the other team or throwing knives into the crowd, is fine with me. Sharpies, cell phones, pom poms, little French poodles in Randy Moss jerseys, who really cares? Who does this hurt? The league may call all this disrespectful, but this league would fine QBs for trying this new-fangled forward pass if it were up to them. The NFL seems to me like the Nazi Frickin' Party when they fine Chad Johnson for holding up a sign that says "Dear NFL: Please don't fine me again." By playing into this adversarial dynamic with certain WRs (certain black WRs, for whatever that's worth), the league is assuring that this behaviour will not just die out from going largely unnoticed. If the league did nothing then ESPN and company would talk about for a day or two and that would be it. T.O.'s Sharpie stunt wouldn't be remembered as right up there with Latrell's stranglehold on P.J. but, rather, as just another end-zone celebration that some felt was stupid and some thought was pretty cool. Players are on steroids in this league. Why doesn't the NFL go after them?
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Wesley Walker » Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:03 pm

"Using props is taking it too far."

This is a sentiment echoed by many of you. But I disagree. In this world, "taking it too far" means bombing a country because the president says but can't prove the country's ruler has big weapons. "Too far" is Terry Bradshaw saying, "Osama, you;re next." "Too far" is bombing abortion clinics and sniping at doctors. "Too far" is fans running onto the field and jumping first base coaches. "Too far" is Pat O'Brien on his Hollywood gossip show creating controversey about Paris Hilton's sex tape and then asking the viewers in a poll question, "Is Paris Hilton overexposed?"

Joe Horn's endzone celebration is nothing. Who cares? If you care, maybe you're attention is being drawn in the wrong direction.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Shaffe » Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:38 pm

Wesley Walker wrote:"Using props is taking it too far."

This is a sentiment echoed by many of you. But I disagree. In this world, "taking it too far" means bombing a country because the president says but can't prove the country's ruler has big weapons. "Too far" is Terry Bradshaw saying, "Osama, you;re next." "Too far" is bombing abortion clinics and sniping at doctors. "Too far" is fans running onto the field and jumping first base coaches. "Too far" is Pat O'Brien on his Hollywood gossip show creating controversey about Paris Hilton's sex tape and then asking the viewers in a poll question, "Is Paris Hilton overexposed?"

Joe Horn's endzone celebration is nothing. Who cares? If you care, maybe you're attention is being drawn in the wrong direction.

nothing against you, but you just happened to be the unlucky guy who posted this and i happened to read it. i for one am starting to get pretty fed up with all this stuff about our troops and such. hey, it's fine that you support them, i support them too. but i don't need to read about it on the forum, i come on here to check the replies and get other people's opinions on my post. nothing against you though, it just happened to be right now.

on the posts, i don't like that 40 second idea at all. i bet if you timed the time it took to get everyone on the field, personell, and whatnot for a pat it would take over 40 seconds. maybe not, i never have timed it myself. also, with a 2 pt. conversion defenses also need to get the right guys on the field to defend it. i think that celebrations are ok after a touchdown, a sack, a big stop, a big hit, and a milestone thing (10,000th yard, etc.). just about anything else being routine tackles, 3 yard runs, etc. should not be celebrated. keep it on the field, players can dance and hug all they want, i just don't want to see anything foreign or any degrading motions (throat slash) used on the field.
Shaffe
Shaffe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Wesley Walker » Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:01 pm

Shaffe wrote:i for one am starting to get pretty fed up with all this stuff about our troops and such. hey, it's fine that you support them, i support them too. but i don't need to read about it on the forum...

Point taken. I think "too far" describes talking about Saddam or Osama, or the U.S. military at all (as is done EVERY Thanksgiving when we have troops stationed somewhere around the world, which is pretty much all the time) during a FOOTBALL BROADCAST, or on the forum. So I'm sounding off all hyprocritical right now, but I do it to make a point: There are things wrong with the world, and with football, far more consequential than cell phones, sharpies, and throat-slitting gestures.

But you're right, maybe this discussion would be better placed in the General Talk forum.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby CC » Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:36 pm

i love the end-zone celebrations i think they're damn near hilarious, the sharpie was funny, the pom poms were funny, the sign was funny, the machine gun was even funny, the cell-phone...was not funny. what's funny about talking on a cell-phone, who was he calling? his agent to tell him to start looking for another team for him to go to? and as a matter of fact, people are talking about the cell-phone stunt more than they are about his 4-TD game, you dont see any 4-TD posts on this forum, you see a whole bunch about the cell-phone, if you're going to do something like that, at least make it good, the cell was just subpar

by the way, how did saddamm and osama get brung into this
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk