A guide teaching you how to GM your team. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

A guide teaching you how to GM your team.

Moderator: Football Moderators

A guide teaching you how to GM your team.

Postby SdxFactor » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:02 am

Hey making this real quick because most guides that I read online and are so generic, like check the rules of the league and mock draft a head of time. That's common sense IMO if you'r on the forums trying to hunt this information down you've already thought of that. Let me add any additional advice is always wanted, how you get better you improve.

#1 Now mock drafting does have it's purpose but not for the reason you might think.
Generally my first 6 picks in any draft can vary greatly. Most people mock draft to focus on there first 6 picks which IMO you don't have all that much control over, I found I out draft most teams with my 7th to 12th pick. The mid to late round picks I can more easily target which players I want and really build out a nice bench and flex from these mid to late picks. This wins championships more then anything in fantasy. Power house bench FTW!

# 2 Be the GM of 2 or more teams.[/b]
You may be asking yourself why this matters. Ill tell you why in all my four leagues I have in a generally sense the sames bench give or take some minor differences. Being able to draft a solid starting team and having more then one decent to strong team allows you as a GM to be a little bit riskier with you're lineup. Take for example I'n two of my leagues I own Gio Benard and Le'Veon Bell. Now most of you are thinking I probably started Gio Benard in both leagues as my flex, wrong I didn't. Both teams are 3-1 but I look at my teams as a whole. My team that had better matchup's rolled with L. Bell while my weaker team took the safer route.This allows you to in some instances win when you really should of lost. Now granted Bernard didn't do much, it allows you to split the risk. Me as a GM can't realistically think I can win all four leagues.

# 3 Don't draft more then one injury risk player. You have heard this before i'm sure. But let me really drive it home. And let me say I have learned this rule the hard way over two very long season being a Vick and DMC owner. God have mercy on my soul. Also side not never trade for high injury risk players as well unless you're 0-3 and desperate. Lastly, you make be thinking will and injury here and there isn't so bad. Yes it is, between normal amount of injuries, injury prone players and bye weeks, you won't have a competitive team even if u drafted very strong.

# 4 I'd make this number matchups but then again I should;t have to tell you to PLAY YOUR TEAMS MATCHUPS. So ill focus on trades.
Take this example I traded in week 3 J. Bell and Steve Smith for Larry Fitz. The owner originally offered K Moreno and Danny Amendola for my J. Bell. At first glance the originally offer looks better, but Danny Amendola and K. Moreno are high injury risk. I think Amendola can put up numbers close to Firz but Fitz improved my starting lineup and has more upside and never misses any long term time with injury, making him a player I really want when playoffs come around.

I know this is a mess I just made it real quick, but I figured I'd see what people thought of this. Thanks and let me know if it helps you.
SdxFactor
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 57)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: A guide teaching you how to GM your team.

Postby default01 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:16 pm

#1 I agree with the value of mock drafting. It does help in rounds 1-6 a little because you can get an idea of perceived player value. Draft picks vary league-by-league, but I really think mock drafts help me see what type of players I can expect to see if I get an early, mid, or late round pick for my actual leagues. You start to see draft patterns and get an idea of who you can target in what round. In the late rounds, personal preference definitely takes effect and I start getting very similar benches. I'd also say, your first 2-3 rounds should generally be "safe" picks with very little bust potential and following rounds need to be looking more at upside. Also, since your bench was drafted for upside, do not be afraid to give up on a bottom-of-the-bench player early for someone else off to a hot start. Getting the right free agents after the draft can also lead to championships.

#2 I don't agree with your reasoning behind playing in 2 or more leagues. Always start whoever you think gives you the best chance to win. I'm not going to be splitting the risk and starting two different players if I think one is a better option. What playing in multiple leagues does get you is the chance to increase your experience faster by evaluating multiple teams, lineups, and free agents every week. If I'm in multiple leagues, I'm playing like I can win all of them instead of splitting risk and trying to increase chances to win at least one.

#3 I agree with avoiding injury risks early. I wish I hadn't taken Spiller in one league just because he fell into the 2nd round - Graham and Forte were both available and were players I was more comfortable with but I chased upside instead of making the safe pick in round 2. However, the later in a draft it gets, the more likely I'm willing to draft another injury risk. To win a championship, you need to avoid busts early and get a few steals late. If a late-round injury risk has a lot of potential, I've got no problem grabbing a few. You can always pay attention to the waiver wire and make changes if late-round picks don't work out.

#4 The main point I see about your trade example is try to get the best player in a trade. Basically, any sort of 2-for-1 deal where you trade depth for talent is a good move, but it can be hard to pull off. The Moreno/Amendola offer would have been better if you needed a potential RB2 and had a weak bench. The Fitz offer is better if you're off to a good start and have a strong bench. Either way you sell high on Bell. He's a backup, low-end RB3 until Bush gets hurt. Even if he is behind an injury risk, I'd almost always rather have the player that can help me now (Moreno or Fitz).

#5 Since you mentioned matchups in #4: Never sit your studs based on matchups. Picks from rounds 1-4 should almost always be starting. I think matchups are most beneficial if you stream defenses week-to-week. For example, almost any defense playing against Jacksonville is a good call right now.
default01
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 71)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Football Talk