A Giants fans view of Jim Fassel - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

A Giants fans view of Jim Fassel

Moderator: Football Moderators

A Giants fans view of Jim Fassel

Postby SICraig » Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:27 pm

I am a 20 year old college student who lives in the metro new york area., I do not remember Parcells although I have vague memories of Super Bowl XXV
I remember chanting Fire Ray with my dad at Giants Stadium and watching the QBs go in an out after Simms left in 93
After Reeves came and left we get this guy from the Cardinals organization called Jim Fassel and I was 14 just figuring out who the players were. He was the first coach of the Giants when i knew about the Giants. If we had won in 1993 when we made the playoffs i would have no clue

Fassel was a good coach but could never live up to Parcell expectations, injuries decimated the defense which was too soft anyway

He will be remember for a 4 win season and the 49ers game but should be remembered for resurrecting Collins career going 7-0-1 in 97 vs the NFC East going to the Super Bowl in 2000
Mets and Gmen fan for life
SUNY Albany #1 party school once again
SICraig
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TTTBone » Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:10 pm

I think Fassel is a decent coach, but the team just doesn't seem to have the proper chemistry to put together a dominant season and playoff run.
Bad team chemistry will usually get a coach fired, after all these are "his" players. A new coach can come in and make the necessary personnel changes, not to mention the needed change in attitude, without recieving the criticism a long term coach would. As we so often see, even a good coach can many times only get a team so far, and a change is then called for. Tony Dungy, Dennis Green, Mooch, etc.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby chaindog35 » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:57 am

Yeah, firing a good coach always helps your team.........wait Mike Tice? Dennis Erickson??? (i'm not disputing Gruden's ability) The problem with the Giants is .........THE PLAYERS...

When you have Kerry Collins handing the ball to the opposing defense more than to tiki barber and you have Tiki coughing up the ball every other series you're not going to get far. If anything, the problem lies not only with the coach, but also with the GM and Owner for not getting better players.
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:04 am

I've never liked Fassel as a coach. He struck me as the most clueless coach in the league next to Dave Campo. I always wondered if he knew what was going on.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Football Talk