Refs Strike Again - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Refs Strike Again

Moderator: Football Moderators

Refs Strike Again

Postby DiRtY BuCs » Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:45 pm

The Refs made the wrong call in the 1st quarter of the Minnesota and Chiefs game. The ball that was caught by Kennison on the sideline, was then stripped by the Vikings guy. When he stripped the ball the ball was going to go out of bounds but that same vikings guy taps it and it goes in bounds. Since he was out of bounds when he tapped it was supposed to be Vikings ball. I heard them say this rule later in the game i dont know if ya caught that. But trust me its in the rule. Use common sense for Christ Sakes...

and to top it off... The Refs reviewed the play cuz Vermeil challenged it and the refs still didnt do anything.... how lame...

that was the turning point in the game. And i'm gonna say this... the game woulda been different and the Chiefs woulda had a waaay bigger change of winning had that call not gone vikings way. If KC would kept the ball and scored later, it woulda been 7-7....
DiRtY BuCs
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby DiRtY BuCs » Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:49 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=2 ... 16&prov=ap

read the bottom where it says the Refs admitted a mistake. So there's my source...

and i'm not exactly sure what the score woulda been i dont quite remember
DiRtY BuCs
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Payne Dailey » Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:08 pm

45-20, let it go
Payne Dailey
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:23 pm

The refs messed up 3 times on that play. The player was out of bounds when he knocked knocked the ball out of th WR' hands, he was still out of bounds when he tapped in bounds, and the player who recovered it had just stepped out of bounds and re-entered the playing field. He cannot recover the fumble. The play should have been dead 3 times and they missed it.

Still, the Chiefs were man-handled by the Vikes today. The Vikes need to get out to a lead and force you to throw so they can pick the ball off. It would have made things a bit more interesting, but the Vikes still would have dominated.

I commented at the beginning of the game that the KC player that hit the ref in the face accidentally could cost his team. Probably unrelated incidents, but it was strange to see that fumble recovery stand so I have to wonder a little.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby BESMIRCHED » Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:19 am

i totally agree...it seems like the refs F*** up more and more every week...like seriously 3 times and they cant catch it?... the play was reviewed too?

so does the ref not know the rules or did he miss it?

so i propose a rule change in the NFL...you know how a team only gets 2 challenges per game...i say u can challenge as many times as you want as long as you have the timeouts to back it up if you lose the challenge...
BESMIRCHED
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:21 am

Not that it mattered but I couldn't believe they would look at the replay and not make the call. They need to have someone upstairs making these calls, cause the refs are getting caught up in the game or something. Scratch that crew off of the Superbowl list.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby DiRtY BuCs » Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:05 am

Payne Dailey wrote:45-20, let it go

i like Vikings dont get me wrong. I just thought K.C. got screwed... I like both teams so i wont say anything... plus i bet alot of money on Vikings so i aint mad at all... i'm just sayin
DiRtY BuCs
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Shaffe » Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:50 am

it didn't get overturned because i think vermiel and his staff challenged the wrong thing. or, they challenged the right thing and the ref interpreted it wrong. i think the ref went over and vermiel challenged that the minn guy was out of bounds. the ref then said "kansas city is challing the ruling on the field that the player was in bounds". he then looked at kennisson on the replay (who was not even close to being out of bounds), ruled that kennisson was in bounds, and the play was upheld. he can't go under the hood to review what was challenged, see something else, and say "oops", that wouldn't be fair to the other team. but i think he misinterpreted vermiel in the first place, otherwise the guy who told vermiel to challenge that kennisson was out of bounds should be fired.

btw, this is from an avid chiefs fan in case it matters. sure it was 45-20 in the end, but that play was pretty damn huge. kc had the ball inside the 20 which has been almost a guaranteed td for them this year. that would have made it 14-7 i believe, maybe 7-7. it probably would have been no worse than 21-7 at half. that changes the whole complexity of the game right there.
Shaffe
Shaffe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Postby 4Pack » Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:12 am

Your correct Shafe....Vermiel was challenging weather or not Kennison stepped out of bounds on the play...not weather or not the Viking defender was out of bounds.

The score was 7-0 at that point and the Chiefs could very well have taken momentum back had they scored. That was a huge turn of events in the Vikings favor. One of the keys too winning in that damn Dome is too stay in the game early and and keep the crowd out of it. THat non call got the crowd even more pumped up and it was quickly 14-0.

That is not too say that the Vikings would not have won had the correct call been made...but the game would not been near as lopsided I feel.
4Pack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:18 am

I realize the technicality there but this is football, not a court of law. To let that play stand was ridiculous. If the Vikings want to protest that Vermiel didn't specify, let 'em. In an instance where there is such a obvious rule violation it must be overturned. The NFL better get it's head out of its' rectum.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Next

Return to Football Talk