Is this collusion??? I think so.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is this collusion??? I think so....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is this collusion??? I think so....

Postby Need2Win » Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:43 pm

First place team loses McNabb right before the playoffs.
First place owner's Office buddy is eliminated from the playoffs.
First place owner is first in waiver wire order.
Office buddy tells first place owner he is dropping his players (including the red hot Brad Johnson) - trade deadline is past.
First place owner picks up Johnson from waiver wire before anyone knew he was there.

that seems illegal, is it?
Need2Win
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:59 pm

Unless you have some sort of consolation round, teams which are eliminated should not be allowed to drop, trade or pick up players, since doing so can be of no advantage to them. Obviously, this is especially true if the intention is to help another team.

If the team dropping Johnson is doing so to pick up somebody else that they need for consolation games and is playing to win, I see no problem.

If this team won't set foot on a football field again until next season, this transaction should be overruled.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:08 am

Oops - my bad: the preseding comments are for non-keeper leagues. If it's a keeper league and the team dropping Johnson is trying to put itself into a better spot for next year, that's fine too.

What type of league is this?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:25 am

I agree with Arlo, if this ISNT a keeper league then its wrong whats happened.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby kashikis » Thu Dec 12, 2002 10:01 am

Both make good points. If this isnt a keeper league than this was collusion in my mind. If it was a keeper league it may not be. But if he dropped Brad Johnson for a Jaime Martin, Ray Lucas or (2nd or 3rd stringer that isnt good) even in a keeper league it still may be collusion. definately look into this one deeper
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:49 pm

It is a keeper league....BUT we only get to keep 4 players.
The guy who dropped the players kept the players he is going to keep anyway (bettis, booker, porter, griese) and let the rest of his roster go, after telling his buddy that he was going to do this.
He was not going to be in the playoffs, and there's no consolation round (except for teams that actually make it to the playoffs and lose in the playoffs) - his team was in last place and therefore didn't even make the playoffs. His season was over and dropping players did HIM no good whatsoever.

The trade deadline was in late November, so this was the only way for the other guy to pick up Brad Johnson in time to play me for a spot in the Super Bowl.
None of the other 3 teams who did not make the playoffs dropped any of their rosters.
I think it's a dirty move...

Friendliness: %

Postby dalej » Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:59 pm

Seems to be a fairly clear case of collusion. Also sounds like the beginning of the end for this league, or at least a few players. While FF is played for money, in the end it is a form of entertainment. Screwing other players to help one team should be grounds for banishment by the FF gods.
Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?
dalej
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby slowkidz » Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:00 pm

Assuming the anonymous post is Need2Win's...

I have to agree with everyone else here. It seems a lil suspicious to me and should be over-ruled. Who is the commissioner for the league? Is there a way you can appeal this "roster drop"? I would try to do something about this if I were you...
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby DUKE » Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:23 pm

It looks like total BULL SH#T to me. Two guys in my league, who obviously were friends, tried pullin this trade off: Joe Germaine, Cris Carter, Alge Crumpler, and Antwain Smith .....For Corey Dillon, Drew Bledsoe, Plaxico Burress, and Todd Heap....just a bit obvious
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby Arlo » Thu Dec 12, 2002 2:22 pm

You're absolutely right - this sort of thing should not be allowed. If the team has no games left this season, the only move it should be able to make is one that would put it in a better position for next year.

This move needs to be overruled - othwise the entire league is on very shaky ground...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk