The Most Unlikely 3rd Place Winner - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Most Unlikely 3rd Place Winner

Moderator: Football Moderators

The Most Unlikely 3rd Place Winner

Postby VHawk15 » Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:53 pm

After four seasons of playing fantasy football, I had come to realize just how important trading and FA pick-ups really were. So I then had the idea to intentionally draft horrible players and see how good I could make my team just by picking up players and trading. I did an auto-pick draft in a "competitive" Yahoo public league. Here were my draft picks:

1st round- Randy Fasani
2nd round- Ronald Curry
3rd round- Alvis Whitted
4th round- Karl Hankton
5th round- Jim Finn
6th round- Arizona
7th round- Hayden Epstein
8th round- R.J. Bowers
9th round- Nathan Poole
10th round- Ahmad Merritt
11th round- Bryan Gilmore
12th round- Cincinnati
13th round- Freddie Jones
14th round- Muhsin Muhammed
15th round- Tommy Maddox(How'd that happen?)

I then attacked the FA market with a passion.

Some of my first waiver wire pick-ups were as follows:

Santana Moss
Eric Parker
Moe Williams
Kelly Holcomb
Anquan Boldin
Garrison Hearst
Peter Warrick
Donte Stallworth
Robert Ferguson

As the season went on, I was able to get better pick-ups such as:

Domanick Davis
Trent Green
Koren Robinson
Jimmy Smith
Chad Pennington
Rudi Johnson
Corey Dillon
Michael Bennett
Mike Vanderjagt
Miami

I also did two major trades. Near the beginning of the season, I was able to trade Robert Ferguson and Donte Stallworth for Hines Ward. Based on the hype that Ferguson and Stallworth were receiving at the time, it wasn't that bad of a deal.

But the next trade I made changed my whole season. After Priest was having small injury troubles at the beginning of the season, I was able to convince him that he might miss significant time. So I traded Garrison Hearst and Moe Williams for Priest Holmes. Good one, eh?

My team finished with a 9-5 record, which was good enough for 2nd in the league. Going into the play-offs, my team was as follows:

QB- Pennington, Trent Green
WR- Koren Robinson, Hines Ward, Anquan Boldin, Jimmy Smith
RB- Priest Holmes, Michael Bennett, Rudi Johnson, Domanick Davis, Corey Dillon
TE- Randy McMichael
K- Mike Vanderjagt
D- Miami

But my dreams of my rag-tag team winning the championship were shattered in the first week of the play-offs when I lost to the #3 team in the league. But my team, never giving up, won this week by a score of 87-68, giving me the 3rd place title. Not bad for drafting Randy Fasani first.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Shatner8 » Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:08 pm

Thats pretty amazing. Nice trade too for Priest
Shatner8
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby deftdelivery » Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:48 pm

now that's the kinda story I wanna hear ;-D

Good work, I might try that sometime
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Postby emaja » Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:19 pm

Next year I might try that in a public league.

Maybe I can draft all kickers and see where that gets me.
emaja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Location: Wearing the PB with pride looking for my Bears crack pipe...

Re: The Most Unlikely 3rd Place Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:19 pm

VHawk15 wrote:Here were my draft picks:

8th round- R.J. Bowers

Dude, I went to college with that guy! He did score a TD this year so he couldn't have been your worst pick...
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: The Most Unlikely 3rd Place Winner

Postby Thomas » Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:09 am

Wow, that's sort of how I won too! Most of my players were from FA pickups. My RBs were Taylor, Tiki. But I was later able to get EDGE, Davis, Dillon, Johnson, and Bennett. My first QB had always been Green, but my 2nd I boucned around throughout the season.
Thomas
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:00 am

Wow, I actually giggled aloud as I read off your draft picks. People must've thought you were absolutely nuts. That trade for Priest did it for you. I dunno how you convinced a guy that the #1 fantasy player was gonna miss significant time early in the season, but thats luck for you sometimes. Most of my leagues, I can't get trades off to save my ass.

PS
Freddie Jones was a nice sleeper pick. ;)
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:15 am

What's the big deal? I've been doing pretty much the same thing every year. I add a twist though. I draft my best team and procede to trade/waive/pick-up/not pick-up/start or not start the wrong players all season. Granted, it's more of a knack than a plan, and didn't work out as well for me, but it it what it is.

Seriously, great job.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby VHawk15 » Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:12 pm

KingGhidra wrote:Wow, I actually giggled aloud as I read off your draft picks. People must've thought you were absolutely nuts. That trade for Priest did it for you. I dunno how you convinced a guy that the #1 fantasy player was gonna miss significant time early in the season, but thats luck for you sometimes. Most of my leagues, I can't get trades off to save my ass.

Yes, everyone in the league thought I was an idiot. But every reply I made to them was "Just wait." And the former Priest owner must have not known much about fantasy football because I was basically able to convince him that Priest was going to have to retire from football because of his injuries. :-)

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Thomas » Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:00 pm

KingGhidra wrote:Wow, I actually giggled aloud as I read off your draft picks. People must've thought you were absolutely nuts. That trade for Priest did it for you. I dunno how you convinced a guy that the #1 fantasy player was gonna miss significant time early in the season, but thats luck for you sometimes. Most of my leagues, I can't get trades off to save my ass.

PS
Freddie Jones was a nice sleeper pick. ;)

I couldn't get any trades either. One guy did offer me a crippled Horn and EDGE for my kicker Elam. Elam at the time was banking 14 pts per game. I made it, Horn and Edge did jack, then they blew up! Which helped me a lot down the line.
Thomas
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk