Who will face the Pats in the SB?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who will face the Pats in the SB??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:05 am

V-unit wrote:The Patriots have an awesome D but remember this the teams you just metioned have great RBs behind those QBs and will use them to their strength.KC will not win with that weak Defense and Indy has a pretty solid D to contend for the Championship run.Also NE has alot of young players on their D and for many of them this will be their first playoff action.I just cannot see Brady pass that succesful in the playoffs against a quick D like the Colts or maybe the Broncos.Boy i sure cannot wait until the weekend. ;-D

Have you watched the Pats at all this year? Seriously? Yeah, there's young guys on the D, but it is fully of guys like Ty Law, Harrison, Ted Wahington, Willie McGinest, Vrabel, Brushi, Ted Johnson, etc. They ain't spring chickens.

I believe the Pats only let one guy get 100 yards on them this year--correct me if I'm wrong. That was Clinton Portis, in the game that was discounted because Plummer was out. Well, so too was the Pats' best run stopper Ted "three-man" Washington and the best DE/DT in the league, Seymour. The Pats D is amazing.

And, Brady isn't a great QB, but he just wins. It's not always pretty--often it isn't--but the guy is unflappable.

By the way, the running game that is being riddiculed is better. Smith and Faulk have been running very well of late, especially Smith, and they can run when they need to. They use the short passing game as a running attack.

People really are also overlooking what the first seed means. A bye. Then, they play at Foxboro where they are 8-0. They've had several shutouts this year. And the grass there is so chewed up it slows down teams. Manning and Marvin et al will not outrun the Pats there. It's not in the dome.
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Azrael » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:29 pm

It's very hard to argue against the Pats making it. No matter what happens they just keep winning. Yeah, they're 8-0 at home. They're also 6-2 on the road, which isn't bad. I don't think that means anything since they haven't lost in 3 months whether it's been at home or on the road. They haven't been dominating at home. Even against bad teams like the Jets or Cleveland. They just win. They don't give up alot of points at home. Tennessee is the only team that has scored more than 2 TD's worth of points against them in Foxboro.

Now on the other side I can't think of anyone who will make it besides St. Louis or Philly. Here's why. St. Louis doesn't lose at home. In fact they're average margin of victory at home is 17. So if anyone has to go to St. Louis to play, Rams will win. The only case this won't happen is if the Rams play Philly. In this case they will lose because they stink on the Road. Their 4 road victories were against Pitt, Chi, Ariz, Cleveland, and they scraped to beat them all but Pitt. So it's either St. Louis or Philly versus the Pats.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Buckychudd » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:44 pm

My heart says Denver vs. Carolina......

.....my head says NE vs. GB (or maybe Philly, but I think sliding into the playoffs actually helps GB).
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:11 pm

too many people are overlooking carolina they just dominated the #1 defense in the league, i think carolina goes all the way and wins the super bowl, infact i dont think it i guarantee it

Friendliness: %

Postby Go Vikes » Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:16 pm

Colts and Donovan McNabb. Oops, I mean Eagles
Go Vikes
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Dude_ffc » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:53 am

This is the superbowl:

KC vs. St. Louis

America loves....drama. Vermeil vs. his old team with its former qb. It's true that D has a part in championships but it is not the end all. High powered offenses can outshine good d's. Both of these teams have too many weapons to be shut down by any defense.

When all the dust settles it is usually the team with the most all around weapons on both sides of the ball who wins a championship. This year that team is St. Louis.

Final score
38-35
"That rug really tied the room together."
The Dude_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby PuntinFool » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:07 pm

I believe it will be the Pats vs. the Pack. Given many reasons already by Transmogrifier, the Pats have what it needs to take control of the game and win it by large or small margins. Another factoid is that Smith runs better this time of year, including the snow. Very glad to have him energized these days...

As for the Packers they have a tougher road ahead. I think they'll beat Philly b/c of Ahman Green and some solid receivers. Their D just needs to step up. Then they'll inch out the Rams, only b/c I think Bulger will continue to be unreliable. He's no longer a sure thing and though it'll be at home I think Longwell and the Pack will get to the Bowl.

Then the Pats win. 46-3. Vengeance!
PuntinFool
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:13 pm

PuntinFool wrote:I believe it will be the Pats vs. the Pack. Given many reasons already by Transmogrifier, the Pats have what it needs to take control of the game and win it by large or small margins. Another factoid is that Smith runs better this time of year, including the snow. Very glad to have him energized these days...

As for the Packers they have a tougher road ahead. I think they'll beat Philly b/c of Ahman Green and some solid receivers. Their D just needs to step up. Then they'll inch out the Rams, only b/c I think Bulger will continue to be unreliable. He's no longer a sure thing and though it'll be at home I think Longwell and the Pack will get to the Bowl.

Then the Pats win. 46-3. Vengeance!

The Packers can not beat the Rams, heck they can't beat the Eagles.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby hauschild » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:37 pm

Ya'll know what the best thing is??? We'll find out who beats who by Sunday evening.

Green Bay has an easier road against Philly than they did against Seattle. Seattle has a superior running game and their receivers are much better. Also, Hasselbeck is head-and-shoulders above McNabb ...just look at this past year's QB ratings...numbers don't lie. However, Philly's defense is better than Seattle's, but defense alone won't get it done, laddies.

I like The Pack in a relatively easy ballgame, say, 27 - 17.

Also, I think St. Louis is gonna be lucky to escape with a victory. If they don't, The Pack will prevail in Carolina.
hauschild
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Dazedncnfz » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:45 pm

hauschild wrote: Also, Hasselbeck is head-and-shoulders above McNabb

you know I agree that the Pack will beat Philly...but in no way shape or form is Hass even in the same class as McNabb

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk