Drafting strageties - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Drafting strageties

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby deftdelivery » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:55 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:just a couple notes here:

For example, this season I came in knowing I wasnt going to draft Vick or Peerless, Horn, CMart, or George - just to give an example.

I also predicted that Peerless was going to be a bust ;-D
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:24 pm

Birderdude wrote:The team that won the league drafted like this (position by round):
qb,rb,wr,d,k,te,qb,rb,wr,wr,rb,wr,rb,qb,k,te,wr,d

Whadda ya know.
He took a defense 4th round.
BUT. Ain't going down that road again. :-)

~Da Wease
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby roninmedia » Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:02 pm

I find that it is sometimes better to draft based on what a majority of other owners think are good players and then trading these players for the ones you really wanted on draft day. With the 2nd pick, I really wanted LT, but the owner with the 1st pick did not choose ricky williams. I then picked Ricky since he was considered among more owners as the top pick. This allowed me to trade for LT and allowed me upgrade my qb from Jeff Garcia (Garcia was a computer pick) to Peyton Manning.

My draft went as follows by round.
1) Ricky Williams
2) Jeff Garcia
3) Jamal Lewis
4) Koren Robinson
5) Rod Smith
6) Tom Brady
7) Baltimore
8) Kevan Barlow
9) Troy Brown
10) John Carney
11) Frank Wycheck
12) Michael Pittman
13) Keenan McCardell
14) Jay Fielder

I find there are a few keys
1) Know the runs
When a run starts at a position when quality is limited, you have to know who is left and how much you can afford to keep out of the runs. For example, Tampa Bay was drafted in the 4th round. Other owners started drafting the "top" defenses like Philly and Carolina. But instead of jumping in on it, I waited 3 rounds until round 7 to draft a defense.

2) Keep good depth
Just like on a real team, good depth is important. With a good trio of backs like I drafted, I felt very safe and in a strong position. Keep good depth in the positions that a real NFL team finds valuable, QBs and RBs.

3) Work the wire
Work the free agency market well. Use it to build depth and improve your capabilities to trade. Knowing who is available and what matchup they have. Do not be afraid to drop the players you drafted originally. I must have had about 10 different tight ends and kickers on my team during the season

4) Never doubt the kicker
Just like in real life, the kicker is the most neglected part of your team. Never ever doubt the usefulness of a good kicker. A good kicking game can garner you 10 pts each week, which during the season possibly makes him one of the leading scorers on yout team.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:56 am

roninmedia wrote:I find that it is sometimes better to draft based on what a majority of other owners think are good players and then trading these players for the ones you really wanted on draft day. With the 2nd pick, I really wanted LT, but the owner with the 1st pick did not choose ricky williams. I then picked Ricky since he was considered among more owners as the top pick. This allowed me to trade for LT and allowed me upgrade my qb.

I like that idea, since I follow it to some degree. Of course it does come with its risks, since you never know if you're stuck with Ricky Williams instead of being able to trade him for the guy you want. My theory is, you never have to worry about overcoming a good draft.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby latraffic » Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:53 pm

9er Fan wrote:(my personal) golden rules of drafting for 2004 (assuming normal roster req. and non-whacked-out scoring):

1. Don't take a QB early. Personally I usually target 5 or so QBs I think will be good late picks (e.g. Brad Johnson, Trent Green, etc) and don't start thinking about drafting a QB until they start coming off the board. Usually rounds 8-10 or so.

Round 4 is absolutely the earliest I would ever take any QB (including Culpepper, Manning, etc.). If someone like CPepp was around in the 4th, I'd consider him (probably would take him if I had RB/RB/WR already).

2. Don't take a kicker until the last round
3. Don't take a defense until the second to last round
4. Don't draft more than one K, D, TE. Don't draft more than two QBs. Most of your picks after the 5th round or so should be RBs and WRs that have lots of upside.
5. Must start the draft one of the following ways: RB/RB, or RB/WR (only if Moss/Harrison/Holt are available, and the top RBs are gone). Third pick can be a RB, WR, or Tony Gonzalez depending on who's left.

6. Be flexible. Unless you are a novice, going into the draft with a hard set strategy (e.g. I will draft RB/RB/WR/WR/QB) that you are unwilling to change is not a good idea. These are the people that drafted Trung Canidate before Randy Moss.

Gotta agree with these. Personally I don't usually draft a kicker at all and get something off the wire for game days or get somebody later on a trade (which you can do if you have some nice RB sleepers you scooped up with those late picks guys are burning on a couple kickers or Defenses).
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:11 pm

this past year, I didn't even bother drafting a kicker or D since by the time I was ready to take one, there was no way to seperate the ones that were left.

Instead I took backups that I thought might have a chance to win the job and then picked up a kicker/d right before the season started.

I ended up picking up John Carney and KC D, which were both above average, and of the two people I had originally chosen instead of a K and D, one (Bulger) became my starting QB.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby The Great Gambini » Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:14 am

I just don't see how you can take a kicker/defense when there's any skill position guys with all of their limbs intact still on the draft board.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:39 pm

The Great Gambini wrote:I just don't see how you can take a kicker/defense when there's any skill position guys with all of their limbs intact still on the draft board.

Because it doesn't make sense to me to draft a #4 RB or WR when there's a starting K or DEF to be had. Sure, sleepers are nice and everything, but any RB/WR you draft in the 9th you expect to be riding your fantasy bench and hoping they breakout. Since most leagues don't give you points for bench players, I'd rather round out my roster.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:03 pm

KingGhidra wrote:
The Great Gambini wrote:I just don't see how you can take a kicker/defense when there's any skill position guys with all of their limbs intact still on the draft board.

Because it doesn't make sense to me to draft a #4 RB or WR when there's a starting K or DEF to be had. Sure, sleepers are nice and everything, but any RB/WR you draft in the 9th you expect to be riding your fantasy bench and hoping they breakout. Since most leagues don't give you points for bench players, I'd rather round out my roster.

Yea, and most sleepers at the begining of the season don't turn out. Most of the real sleepers are after the draft. If there was somebody like Juston McCariens available that late or Drew Bennett I would take one of them over a kicker or D. Although in my league a D was taken as early as the 4th round and there was a pretty early run on them.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Canacuna » Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:08 pm

Unless I can get one of the top defenses (Baltimore, New England, Tampa Bay, etc.), then I don't bother taking one for a long time.

...Same goes for kickers and TEs.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk