LSU! My Heroes! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

LSU! My Heroes!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby KingGhidra » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:12 pm

Free Bagel wrote:While I'm here, I wanna touch on this "additional game" thing that people are talking about. People keep saying "one more game," and that USC should play LSU now, and that's how they think the system should work.

Well sure, that would work out nicely THIS year. It worked out in the perfect way so that there were split nat'l champs and that an extra game would decide it THIS year. How long has the BCS been around? And it took this long for it to happen, what's that, 1 in 8 years?

The bottom line is that "extra game" wouldn't work right every year, and in most instances it would do more harm than good.

What if OU had won the Big 12 title game and beat LSU, and Mich had beaten USC? Then we would have 13-0 OU against 11-2 Mich, so say Mich beats OU in the "extra game," now weve got 12-2 Michigan as #1 and 13-1 OU as #2.

More times than not, there's either 1 undefeated team left at the end of the year, or one 1 loss team left at the end of the year, is it fair to them that they would have to play an extra game against someone with a worse record?

Again, two years ago Miami beats Nebraska in the nat'l title game to finish 12-0. The #3 team ithat year was my beloved Gators at 11-2, would matching those two up be fair to the canes? No. Even if you did some kind of seeding where #1 played #4 and #2 played #3 first, then if UF won, we would still have 12-0 UM against 11-2 UF for the national title?

What about last year? OSU beats Miami, then who do they play? Who was #3 last year? If I can't even remember, do they deserve a shot at the national championship against a team that just went 13-0 and knocked off the only other undefeated team? Everyone was saying USC was the hottest team in the country last year and that they could've beaten anyone, but they were #6 going into bowl week, so an extra game wouldn't have helped them.

Sure, an extra game would've been nice this year. But this happening once in 8 years doesn't mean should screw up the other 7.

Well it's more of a take all comers thing. The idea is, if Michigan beats USC, they are obviously better than people thought and they deserve a shot at OU in the championship. Like when a wildcard gets to the Super Bowl. We don't look at them like they aren't the champs because they had a worse overall record than everyone else.

The only way you could EVER come up with a true undispuated champ would be a double round robin tournament, and I don't think anyone wants to see that.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:38 pm

That would completely throw out everything that college football stands for out the window.

College football is so exciting because EVERY game is important. If you screw up, you pay for it. Makes those close games even more important.

If people want the NFL with different teams, go watch the CFL, don't wreck college football by putting in a playoff.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Tim_ffc » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:39 am

First off, congrats to LSU. They deserve the national championship as much as anyone else. But so does USC! The number one team is not supposed to be who has been the strongest team for the whole season, it's supposed to be the best team out there at the moment. And, even though they lost to Cal, by the end of the season USC was the best team to pretty much everyone who wasn't biased (excudes fans and coaches). And for those that said their schedule was weak, it was a different story at the beginning of the season. Heck, look at their first game of the season AT Auburn. There were talks, even on this board, of Auburn being one of the Div I-A teams. And what happened? They shut them out, 23-0. The only blemish on their schedule was the 3OT loss at Cal.

I find it funny that people can just dismiss the AP poll and go for the coaches opinions. The coaches chose the best team simple to keep up their end of the system they chose several years ago, the BCS. The AP writers picked the best team in the nation, disregarding the system. After all, the sportswriters know more about the teams and who is the best, it's their job to study them and report it to everyone else. If anything their unbiased votes are more valuable than the coaches', who had made up their minds beforehand that they were going to stick to the system they agreed on. Yes, LSU is the champion according to the accepted system in college football. But the best team in the nation was USC.

Free Bagel wrote:They're a good team, but they didn't have impressive wins during the season

What??? No impressive wins? Are you kidding me? Auburn: 23-0; BYU: 35-17; Hawaii: 61-32; Arizona St.: 37-17; Stanford: 44-21; Notre Dame: 45-14; Washington: 43-23; Washington St.(who beat number 5 Texas, if you want to consider it): 43-16; Arizona: 45-0; UCLA: 47-22; Oregon St.: 52-28; Michigan (number 4): 28-14.
All of those are impressive. Scoring more than 40 points 7 games in a row is pretty damn good in my opinion. And did you see the Rose Bowl? What was the number, 9 sacks? And somewhere between 29 and 39 total yards rushing for Michigan, with Heisman candidate Chris Perry? Even though Michigan was number 4 of these teams, it was agreed upon by everyone, almost that they were a quality team who had a shot to beat USC. USC proved them wrong by a large margin.

Free Bagel wrote:Pretty much proves it to me. All that matters to sportswriters is WHEN you lost. I've said it a million times, if OU had lost to KSU early, and throttled Texas by 50 in the last game, they would've been #1. If USC had lost to Cal a few games later, they would've been #3.

True. Thing is, USC actually improved during the season. Other teams were not able to end their season (eg. Oklahoma, with two straight losses). But, USC lost to Cal early, and did not come remotely close to losing again. That's just the way things happened this time around.

One last point, USC coach Pete Carroll was named AP Coach of the Year. That should say something. (And I don't want to hear anything about how they rigged it because they voted for USC... :-b)

I'm not trying to say that LSU doesn't deserve the title, I'm just arguing that USC deserves it just as much, and, in my own bias, more :-D. Oh yeah, and USC will be back next year, with the young team they have.

By the way, has anyone seen Reggie Bush, the true freshman RB from USC? He's amazing, could be the best in a couple years.
Tim_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to College Football