2004 backs, uber studs, studs and solid guys - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

2004 backs, uber studs, studs and solid guys

Moderator: Football Moderators

2004 backs, uber studs, studs and solid guys

Postby greatgretzky » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:46 pm

Is it just me or is next year the year of the fantasy back? it seems like that in a 10 team league everyone who picks a back in the first round will get a top tier guy. is next year perhaps a year to goback in the first, then a qb or wr, then back again? perhaps not, but it sure seems like there are a good amount of sure things in the first, early second, a damn lot of semi sure things, then stud wr's and qbs ...
greatgretzky
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canacuna » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:26 am

Yep. I think there are about 16 or 17 RBs worth having in the first three rounds...
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:27 am

That is what I'm thinking of doing next year. There were a ton of good backs that showed up this year. As long as they don't turn some of them into RBBC's, then I'm going to try it. If I can get a stud receiver in the second round, I should be able to pick up a decent #2 back that can put up some good numbers in the third.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:37 am

Mercer Boy wrote:That is what I'm thinking of doing next year. There were a ton of good backs that showed up this year. As long as they don't turn some of them into RBBC's, then I'm going to try it. If I can get a stud receiver in the second round, I should be able to pick up a decent #2 back that can put up some good numbers in the third.

Sir, I like the way you think.

I was analyzing trends over the last 3 years for fantasy players and QBs are definitely falling. Probably a combination of ex studs getting older, younger guys starting and an influx of good talent at the RB position. There were more top 24 QBs with under 2500 yards in 2003 than in 2001 & 2002 combined. Obviously that has some effect on the WR position, which makes some of the RBs better as the good ones are called on to do more.

As far as teams that turn to RBBC next year, my pick is Carolina.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:09 am

After this year my strategy is take a solid RB in the first, only tka e RB in the secone if I know he will be good, if not, take a sure-thing WR. THen if there is a RB that slid take him in the third, if not, take a QB. That may sound dumb but after this year I have found that there are a lot of RBs in the second round that turn out to be big busts. Henry was a pretty good back but I could have gotten him later. Yes, there are also the J-Lews who wxplode but I would rather take a WR who I know will do good than a RB with a high chance of bust.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The Super Freak » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:14 am

i agree zimm i wasted WAY TOO MANY picks on qbs, by the time the year was over i didn't have ANY of the qbs i drafted
Moss IS the best WR in the game...
-Terrell Owens
Randy Moss
AKA Super Freak
The Super Freak Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby hayesb26 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:48 pm

Ease off on the caps a little sometimes superfreak. I will most likely still take RB in one and two, but who knows it all depends on who slips in the draft. I will also probably go with QB early(3rd or 4th)
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Shatner8 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:35 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:That is what I'm thinking of doing next year. There were a ton of good backs that showed up this year. As long as they don't turn some of them into RBBC's, then I'm going to try it. If I can get a stud receiver in the second round, I should be able to pick up a decent #2 back that can put up some good numbers in the third.

I did the exact same thing in my 14 team draft. Picked Green in the 1st, Holt in the 2nd and Cmart in the 3rd
Thanks to Go Jays Go for the sweet sig
Shatner8
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby NFLknowitall » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:48 pm

FF Team Owners will still need to draft RB very high just because of the few actually starting and producing. So the number jumps from 11 to 17 next year for quality backs. But every FF team wants two great backs and then a decent one for bye and injuries. Stat's prove that out of the top 10 RB's every year around 5 will be replaced by a new face in the top 10 stat's catagory. With fewer teams going to RBBC it will be a great 2004 FF year for RB's. Plus with the rookie talent coming in it will be even better. Jackson, Jones, Perry will all be worth a look and could be great diamonds in the rough for Keeper, Dynasty or any FF Owner. Good Luck.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mannubhai » Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:02 pm

I think it all depends on what pick you have. If I get the top 7 picks I will probably draft a RB in the first two rounds. If I get the 8-10 pick, I will probably draft a Randy Moss in the first round and a RB in the second. But in either case, I will make sure I get a quality wideout by the third round.
mannubhai
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk