2004 backs, uber studs, studs and solid guys - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

2004 backs, uber studs, studs and solid guys

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby TTTBone » Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:30 pm

Like the NFL draft, it all comes down to what falls into your lap. You can plan your draft to perfection, but if R. Moss happens to be there for your late second round pick, you can throw that RB,RB, WR, QB strategy out the window. Like life, your fantasy football draft is what happens while you're busy making plans. I think we've all found ourselves in the position of saying, "Wow! I can't believe this guy's still on the board. Change of plans!."
Good Fun. ;-D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deftdelivery » Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:50 pm

I love that feeling waiting for your pick, praying the other guys don't take your stud...and he falls right into your lap....and echoes of anguish are heard as you get your guy ;-D
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:14 am

Tell "the year of the RB" to the guy in my 16-team Keeper that went Moss, Owens and Holts in the first 3 rounds!! 16 teams!! We get .25 points per reception.

He ended with K.Faulk, A-train, Bennett to fill the 2 RB spots.

At the end of the draft, people in the league were telling him his team would suck basically. And he ends up going 17-2 (we have a 19-game schedule) and absolutely destroying the league -- won the regular season and postseason.

As dominate of performance as we've ever had...all 16 guys are active on about a daily basis -- He made no waiver claims the entire year either!

Friendliness: %

Postby greatgretzky » Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:37 am

jeez for that credit per reception, ten reception receivers are huge. they would have to perform comprably to backs. meaning moss is fairly comprable to a good back as it is. s carcity breeds the value, not raw points. i think if i ever play in another league where there are three wr's and two rb's, no flex, I am going back, wr, wr wr, then qb, andf gamble on a an injury or committe back liek westbrook. the thing witha league like that is everyone has a stud number one receiver, but if you have an advantage at number two and three, that outweighs having an advantage at number two rb (provided everyone got a decent number one) backs are always the solid poitn base, but I swear wr play is what maeks the difference. there are at leat 9 backs that are comparable (outside of priest I guess) ricky, portis, lt, mcalister, alexander, s davis, lewis, henry, green, james, faulk. there are eleven backs who, realistically could be first round picks if it was all backs. but culpepper, moss, manning and mcnair all made cases for first round absed on total popints scored.

but if you think in a realtive way (compared to their position) the types of wrs of that quality, moss holt, johnson ward, harrison, owens come to mind, then it is second tier already ...
greatgretzky
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:34 am

deftdelivery wrote:I love that feeling waiting for your pick, praying the other guys don't take your stud...and he falls right into your lap....and echoes of anguish are heard as you get your guy ;-D

Yea, or he gets taken the pick before yours... :-# :,-(
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:13 am

M_Zimm wrote:
deftdelivery wrote:I love that feeling waiting for your pick, praying the other guys don't take your stud...and he falls right into your lap....and echoes of anguish are heard as you get your guy ;-D

Yea, or he gets taken the pick before yours... :-# :,-(

That one always gets on my nerves. One of my drafts this year, the guy took at least 3 guys I had queued up ready to take with my next pick. I guess he has good taste.
;)
Last edited by KingGhidra on Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby 9er Fan » Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:00 pm

There definitely seem to be fewer stud wideouts going into next year. Porter and Stallworth never materialized, Toomer, Driver, and Plaxico fell off the map, K-Rob sucked, TOs status is up in the air, etc. I could easily see going RB/WR in the first two rounds of '04. I still disagree with taking a QB before the late/middle rounds unless a stud is available in round 4.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:21 pm

9er Fan wrote:There definitely seem to be fewer stud wideouts going into next year. Porter and Stallworth never materialized, Toomer, Driver, and Plaxico fell off the map, K-Rob sucked, TOs status is up in the air, etc. I could easily see going RB/WR in the first two rounds of '04. I still disagree with taking a QB before the late/middle rounds unless a stud is available in round 4.

Receivers are down because QBs are down. There were more top 24 fantasy QBs under 2500 yards in 2003 than in 2001 & 2002 combined. Mostly due to injury, changing of the guard and the influx of young QBs in the starting role. When you have that much upheavel at the QB position, WR production is bound to fall off for lots of guys.

I think I'll compile my 3 year receiver numbers now to see if what's been true for QBs has been true for WRs...
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Football Talk