Coachs List - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Coachs List

Moderator: Football Moderators

Coachs List

Postby slowkidz » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:09 am

I thought this would be an interesting topic. With the sudden emergence of Joe Gibbs and Dennis Green, how would you rank the Head Coaches of the NFL? Who do you think is the best HC? Who is the worst? For the teams without HC, I guess we'll leave them blank for now and then revisit once the slots are filled.

Here's mine...

1. Bill Parcells - His record speaks for itself
2. Bill Belichick - Great Defensive Coach
3. Dick Vermeil - One of the Best Offensive Minds
4. Joe Gibbs - Will move up after next season I'm sure
5. Mike Shanahan - Great Coach, always has a contender
6. Mike Holmgren - Good Coach with a ring
7. Andy Reid - One of the "Holmgren" Coaches
8. Jon Gruden - Another "Holmgren" Coach - Hardass who has much promise to be a Great one.
9. Jeff Fisher - Knows how to make Lemonade from Lemons
10. John Fox - Brought around a poor Car team. Great Defense
11. Mike Martz - "Vermeil" Style Coach. Good Offensive Mind
12. Steve Marriucci - Another "Holmgren" Coach
13. Tony Dungy - Good Coach, but can't get it done in Post Season
14. Dennis Green - Knows what it takes but can't win the big one
15. Bill Cowher - Been around a looooong time.
16. Mike Sherman - Another "Holmgren" Coach. Fav-era helps him look good.
17. Dave Wannstedt - Good Team, bad decisions. Can't make it through the winter.
18. Tom Coughlin - Tough Coach with pampered players
19. Brian Billick - Knows what it takes, but can he do it again
20. Dom Capers - 2nd time's the charm!
21. Marvin Lewis - Changed a team around his first year! No where to go but up!!
22. Dennis Erickson - Seems a little lost at see at times. Good College Coach
23. Marty Schottenheimer - Looking out of style and out of place
24. Herm Edwards - Good Coach, but can't get things working
25. Butch Davis - "Jimmy Johnson" Coach. Poor Drafts. Disappointing 3rd year.
26. Jim Haslett - Team has potential, but does the Coach?
27. Mike Tice - May be in over his head.
28. Jack Del Rio - Promising, but someone has to be near the end of the list.
29. Oakland
30. Buffalo
31. Chicago
32. Atlanta
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lushcrush » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:22 am

Nice list ...
I would rate Dom Capers higher than Cowher. 5-11 with the team he had is excellent, while Cohwer managed just one more win at Pittsburgh. Capers did it in the up and coming AFC South too. ;-D
Last edited by Lushcrush on Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:43 am, edited 5 times in total.
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby slowkidz » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:23 am

Lushcrush wrote:Nice list ...
I would rate Dom Capers higher than Cohwer. 5-11 with the team he had is excellent, while Cohwer managed just one more win at Pittsburgh. Capers did it in the up and coming AFC South too. ;-D

true...but you have to give cowher some credit for having the longest tenure of head coaches...that's what boosted him up a notch or two...
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Lushcrush » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:26 am

Plus, when he sticks that chin out, you gotta love him ...
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby latraffic » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:17 pm

Weasel-boy Shanahan at No. 5? Say it isn't so! Since #7 made his exit in Denver that team hasn't done squat. His decisions are suspect and dumping Griese? Sorry, I wouldn't have had him in my top 5, not even my top 10.

This is how I see the top 5 coaches and the bottom 5 coaches in the NFL right now (I'm too lazy to do the whole list).

TOP 5 (I wish they were all in Oakland)

1. John Fox (CAR) - Amazing results with the talent he has on hand, winning his Division with a team of virtual no-names.

2. Bill Belichick (NE) - Another coach getting it done without superstars (yet anyway). He makes the team play like a team.

3. Jon Gruden (TB) - Kinda got a little ahead of himself after that Superbowl run, but this last season should get him back to being focused. If Tampa Bay isn't in a Championship game next year, I'll eat my #12 Gannon ball cap.

4. Bill Parcels (DAL) - Truly a character that must be considered one of the greatest after the Dallas/NE/Jets/Giants turn arounds. Still, can't list him as number one because he tends to fade away after a few seasons and lose interest in teams. Why no interest in the dynasty, Bill? Why?

5. Dom Capers (HOU) - built a competitive expansion team from the ground up - twice. Beware of the Texans next season.

Honorable Mention: Marvin Lewis (CIN) - did an impressive job of making the Bungle/Bengals respectable in 2003. Can he continue to build or was this last run just other case of Kitna-fluke-itis?

BOTTOM 5 (Why are they still working?)

1. Mike "Weasel-face" Shanahan (DEN) - Surrounded by talent yet still not able to keep the wheels on. Year in, year out, his team has all the tools to make it to the Superbowl but fall well short, which means the coach is the problem.

2. Dave Wannstedt (MIA) - Ditto.

3. Jim Haslett (NO) - Ditto.

4. Bill Cowher (PIT) - Alas, this old General needs to go take some time off and then make a comeback. He's never recovered from backing Kordell even when the mistake was obvious to everyone.

5. Marty Schottenheimer (SD) - To borrow from Slowkids "Looking out of style and out of place" indeed.
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:51 pm

slow i like the list but i think id move lewis and capers up a bit. tice should be moved up to 22 or 23.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TTTBone » Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:43 pm

Nice list, but Wannstedt above Shottenheimer, Billick, and Lewis? Wannstedt has talent as a coordinator, but as a head coach, his main talent seems to be one of driving teams into mediocrity.
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Football Newbie » Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:57 pm

pretty nice list, but marvin lewis should be higher imo. He was amazing this year. Not too high since its his first year but common, cant argue with the results, even with a RB controversy and that humiliating defeat 1st week he really pulled the team out of crap city.
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Purple_Pride » Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:01 pm

alright im bored so here goes my list and next to each name you will see either up, down or steady in regards to if they are on there up the list down the list or steady in the list IMO. so here we go:::;

1. Belichick, steady. take his players, give him players, injure his players, play at home, play on the road cause it doesnt matter cause he does is win.

2. Parcells, steady. give him no talent and he'll teach it to pretend like they have some.

3. Fox, steady. wow! what an imprvement he made to this tean, rivals what parcells did in Dallas

4. Gibbs, down. the guy is a proven winner with 3 rings, enough said to warrant this ranking IMO, but there is alot to be done in DC

5. Reid, up. i just dont know how he keeps this team winning so many games. eventually he will get his due

6. Shanahan, down. this guy wins a ton of games and it doesnt matter who is in the backfield cause they will put up all pro numbers. but his teams success has been tailing off a little the last few years

7. Vermeil, steady. another winner who is capable of turning teams around. i dont know how that offence scores so many points either, his recievers are very average.

8. Gruden, up. he is young and can win the big games, in his first year did what Dungy could never do. lets seee if he can rebound this year, i think he will

9. Holmgren, steady. he turned around the Seahawks and as a young team they should continue to improve, also no one prepares coordinators better than holmgren

10. Fisher, steady. another guy that keeps on winning.

11. Martz, down. well kind of a dumb coach at times IMO but he can win games. battled through some tough injuries to his team and has come out smellin like roses

12. Dungy, up. anotehr winner. peyton / harrison/ edge doesnt hurt though

13. Green, up. another proven winner 8 playoffs in 10 years. needs to win the big one.

14. Mariucci, down. i think detroit will eventually ruin this coachs rep

15. Billick, steady. well his teams have held the records for most points ina season (vikes 98) and fewest allowed (ravens 00)

16. Capers, up. well to win 5 games with that team is impressive

17. Lewis, up. another guy on his way up. well on his to making us forget we ever refered to his team as teh bungles

18. Sherman, down. as much as i hate to say it its Favre that keeps thios team winning, not teh coach

19. Coughlin, steady. he can win without an abundanve of talent. definite disciplinarian in the mold of the tuna.

20. Edwards, up. he'll fight his way back up when Pennington gets healthy and the skins stop taking all his players

21. Cowher, down. this is a guy that i think needs an extrodinary amount of talent to win games

22. Tice, down. looks like a genious some days and a real ass on others. he couldnt inspire a bunch of frat boys rubbing tanning lotion on j-los ass

23. Wannstedt, down. maybe he needs more talent to work with, lol. but atleast his team consistently wins 9 games

24. Shottenheimer, up. he'd won a lot of games before. he'll get it right in san diego eventually. hint LT LT LT LT LT with a little dash of LT LT LT

25. Erickson, up. not terrible but not good either. i think his mindset is more suited for the college game. dont think he can deal with the ultra big egos of the NFL

26. Haslett, down. is it time to fire him soon?

27. Davis, down. pick a damn QB and stick with him

28. Del Rio- i cant forgive him for the way he treated the franchises marquee player. Brunell.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Football Talk