Return to Football Talk

Favre Bashing in Philly.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Favre Bashing in Philly.

Postby Guttpuppy » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:17 pm

Philly is a mean sportstown. !+)

Dad's memory isn't doing him any Favre
By DON RUSSELL-philly.com

After Brett Favre's dad, "Big Irv," died last month, even Eagles fans felt sorry for the Green Bay Packers' star quarterback.

For about three minutes.

Then we found out the Birds would be playing the Packers in the second round of the NFC playoffs.

And now, Birds fans are bad-mouthing Favre, big time.

On talk radio, they mocked his dad's ascension to heaven.

On the Internet, they're laughing at the idea that, as one TV sportscaster proclaimed, "There's an angel on the shoulders of the Packers."

The trash talk at the Eagles' official fan site only ceased when the Web site moderator threatened to ban anyone who joked about Big Irv.

There is no pity in Philly for "Saint" Brett.

Family tree
FATHER:

Irvin Favre. As a high school football coach, he helped Southern Miss violate NCAA rules to recruit his son.

WIFE: Deanna. He got her pregnant when he was 18, and she was 19. Married her seven years later.

BROTHER: Scott. Killed a family friend when he drove his car into a railroad crossing and got hit by a train. Jailed for DUI.

SISTER: Brandi. A Mississippi beauty queen, arrested for shoplifting.

Model citizen

In 1992, Favre was arrested after a barroom brawl in Hattiesburg, Miss., that began when he was arguing with the future Mrs. Favre. A bystander tried to intervene, and soon Favre was wrestling him to the floor. Favre was charged with drunkenness, disorderly conduct, and profanity.

Pillhead

Favre was a substance abuser in the mid-1990s. In 1996, he announced he was addicted to Vicodin, a prescription pain-killer.

The NFL sent him to the Menninger Clinic in Topeka, Kan., to dry out. Favre now says he's sober.

Mentor

"The biggest problem wasn't getting the pills down, it was keeping them down. I'd go into the bathroom, take a big slug of water, and try swallowing a handful of pills. Most of the time, I'd just throw them right back up and they'd land on the floor. No big deal. I'd just pick the pills out of the vomit, rinse them off, and try again."

- From "Vicodin, Rehab and Beer. Hey, It Won Me a Super Bowl," an excerpt from Favre's 1998 autobiography, "Favre: For The Record," published in Esquire magazine

Caring father figure

During his Vicodin addiction, Favre went into a seizure in front of his 7-year-old daughter. While watching her dad convulsing, the child screamed, "Is my daddy going to die? Is my daddy going to die?"

A reformed man

Favre was sprung from rehab after lying to his counselors. In his autobiography, he brags:

"Finally, I told them what they wanted to hear: that I was a drug addict and I needed help. Sure enough, a week later they said, 'We think you're ready to leave.'

"...Then I walked out the door and was like, 'Screw you.' "

Dork

He's a clubhouse prankster who's been known to put Heet ointment in players' jockstraps and shaving cream in their helmets. Once, he doused his own roommate with a bucket of ice water while he was on a commode.

If he wasn't making $10 million a year, somebody would've already pushed him off a tall building.

Hollywood star

In his best-known screen role, "There's Something About Mary," he somehow manages to lose Cameron Diaz to Ben Stiller. In the lesser-known "Reggie's Prayer," Favre plays a janitor in an all-star cast that includes M.C. Hammer, Reggie White, Mike Holmgren and Pat Morita.

A gentleman

Favre likes to fart. A lot. He told Playboy:

"If I'm on a golf outing with [Dan] Marino and [Jim] Kelly and they're getting ready to hit, I'll rip a big fart. They say, 'That's awful!' But why? Everybody does it. Just because you're a professional athlete or a politician doesn't mean you stop taking dumps and scratching your ass. Of course, there's a time and place for humor like that. I don't go to corporate events, where everyone is in a suit and tie, and start cutting farts. Not loud ones, anyway."

Wuss

Brett is scared of the dark. He sleeps with a light on.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Gunslinger » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:35 pm

Ouch.

Weird how none of that is ever talked about on MNF. :-?
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:31 pm

Initially I thought what a bunch of heartless cruel jack-a**es the writers in Philly are. Yeah, like that would be a shocker. As I read Farve's bio, I realized that his family and his behaviorisms should put him at the forefront as the NFL's model citizen. they are really struggling to find bad things to write about a pro athlete when they talk about his flatus status.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby VHawk15 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:46 pm

Gunslinger wrote:Ouch.

Weird how none of that is ever talked about on MNF. :-?

Yeah, I wonder what those guys would do if they got hold of all of that info. I didn't know about most of that.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Re: Favre Bashing in Philly.

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:23 pm

Guttpuppy wrote:Dork

He's a clubhouse prankster who's been known to put Heet ointment in players' jockstraps and shaving cream in their helmets. Once, he doused his own roommate with a bucket of ice water while he was on a commode.

Oh no, ANYTHING but that! Favre is so horrible.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TTTBone » Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:42 am

He got his girlfriend pregnant, and then married her?
He publically admitted an addiction and overcame it?
And, oh yeah, he once got in a barroom fight, and he farts (disgusting). Glad the Philly fans could enlighten us on what a terrible person Brett Favre is.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Purple_Pride » Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:52 am

some of the things like saying screw you to rehab and bragging that the vicodin, rehab and beer won him a super bowl is classless and irresponsible. obviously tons of kids are going to read the book and see their sports idol show no remorse for somethign like a drug addiction, obviously there are much worse people out there and worse people in sports but it does set a bad example for the kids if you will. the stuff about him farting and his sister shoplifting and all that is ridiculous, the fact that anyone cares is hillarious IMO.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:40 am

I can't believe that anyone like ESPN has set Favre on such a high level. I knew most of that stuff, but I had forgotten some. He is a really bad person. Obviously I agree that he is a great football player but he is a terrible citizen and a horrible role-model. I can't believe how people look up to him and think he is some kind of Saint.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby hayesb26 » Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:44 am

M_Zimm wrote:I can't believe that anyone like ESPN has set Favre on such a high level. I knew most of that stuff, but I had forgotten some. He is a really bad person. Obviously I agree that he is a great football player but he is a terrible citizen and a horrible role-model. I can't believe how people look up to him and think he is some kind of Saint.

lol would you rather have kids looking up to the greats of Ray Lewis'/Carruth's of the NFL and the Portland Trailblazers?

Sure he's made some mistakes but he isnt a "really bad person" or a "terrible citizen"

;p;
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:53 am

hayesb26 wrote:
M_Zimm wrote:I can't believe that anyone like ESPN has set Favre on such a high level. I knew most of that stuff, but I had forgotten some. He is a really bad person. Obviously I agree that he is a great football player but he is a terrible citizen and a horrible role-model. I can't believe how people look up to him and think he is some kind of Saint.

lol would you rather have kids looking up to the greats of Ray Lewis'/Carruth's of the NFL and the Portland Trailblazers?

Sure he's made some mistakes but he isnt a "really bad person" or a "terrible citizen"

;p;

Ah, maybe not, but he sure is no role model. That was probably my Viking fan in me talking but showing no remorse for being addicted to drugs saying something like he owes winning the Bowl to Vicodin, Beer, and rehab is sick.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk