Favre Bashing in Philly. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Favre Bashing in Philly.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby moochman » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:27 am

M_Zimm wrote:lol would you rather have kids looking up to the greats of Ray Lewis'/Carruth's of the NFL and the Portland Trailblazers?

Sure he's made some mistakes but he isnt a "really bad person" or a "terrible citizen"

;p;

Ah, maybe not, but he sure is no role model. That was probably my Viking fan in me talking but showing no remorse for being addicted to drugs saying something like he owes winning the Bowl to Vicodin, Beer, and rehab is sick.[/quote]

Zimm, there is a thing call context. I would be willing to bet the this is taken out of context. I would guess that Vicodin and beer helped him win the SB because they helped him play through pain. Leaving a rehab center is not unusual, bragging about it just shows he had a limited view of he audience. Again not unusual for an athlete. The point that is missed is his overcoming an addiction. Favre is actually a pretty good role model and is well loved by the media for his play and availibility. His classless fondness for farting is, again, not unusual. Especially considering that he is a Packer.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Purple_Pride » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:36 am

maybe this just highlights the fact that athletes should not be held on a pedestal as role models simply because they are great football players.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:56 am

oh no,,,not the role model and athletes talk again....

Charles Barkley is the greatest of all- time.
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:56 am

Purple_Pride wrote:maybe this just highlights the fact that athletes should not be held on a pedestal as role models simply because they are great football players.

Exactly. I like Randy Moss, I think he is a great athlete but I would never consider him a role model. He along with many other baseball, football, basketball, hockey, ect players are not good people. I think Moss has gotten better as has Favre, but I still don't think anybody should look at athletes as role models seimply because there is probably a lot that you don't know.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:21 am

the article is incorrect. people on that forum held off from making fun of his dad. anyway, that is just one writer. And frankly, it is getting a little old hearing about the packers team of destiny, when the eagles finished with the better record, with the harder schedule and already having beaten them once. Can you really blame the city for getting really sick of "farve this, farve that"? I don't one whit. Every fact points to the eagles beign favored, but most fans and media are putting their faith int he supernatural. Every sports town is mean in one way or another if they actually care about their team. One sportswriter does not a city make.

Iw ill hasten to add that the juvenile stuff is lame to complain about. But frankly, I respect him, but a lot of my respect went away when he laid down for strahan. Basically he and strahan conspired to lie, as strahan DID NOT earn that sack record, and farve helped him claim something he didn;t deserve. And hsi comments about the beer and everything are ridiculously irresponsible.

Everyone roots for farve because he is "class". Well, donovan is also about as classy as it gets. But everyone thinks philly is evil or something. screw that. and screw the pack to be honest. may the better team win. But as of now, if you look at it realistically, the eagles have, on every front, proven themselves the better team. The farve bunch can disprove that tomorrow, but in the week leading up to this, it has been ridiculous.

Friendliness: %

Postby AF » Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:06 pm

Honestly though, I'm sure you could dig up alot of dirt on almost every player in the league. I'm sure several of them if not the majority have some sort of substance abuse problems, drugs or alcohol. I'm sure we all personal know a few people who do. Many of these things I think are made out to sound alot worse than they really are. You guys can't tell me you don't know at least 3 or 4 guys that got into a bar fight while they were in college. I worked as a bouncer at a bar while I was in school and we would have a handful of fights every weekend. Some ending in arrests, not a big deal really. People grow out of these things. And the part about getting his girlfriend pregnant and not getting married for 7 years, who's to say they didn't want to get married earlier but just didn't have the money or the time? I'm sure he has also lived a much more stressful life then most of us too. Cut the guy some slack. And yes the Philly fans are jack-asses for trying to rip Farve apart and being so disrespectful to his father, weather he really is a bad guy or not. There is no reason what-so-ever to personally attack the man.
[b][color=blue]Owner of Absolutely Fabulous:[/b][/color]Miami Redhawks Defending League Champions, 10 team 2 keeper money league.
AF
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby AF » Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:07 pm

You know, I read a book once. It said, let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Think about that for awhile.
[b][color=blue]Owner of Absolutely Fabulous:[/b][/color]Miami Redhawks Defending League Champions, 10 team 2 keeper money league.
AF
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TTTBone » Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:09 pm

M_Zimm wrote:Ah, maybe not, but he sure is no role model. That was probably my Viking fan in me talking but showing no remorse for being addicted to drugs saying something like he owes winning the Bowl to Vicodin, Beer, and rehab is sick.

The comment was made jokingly, and was quoted out of context.

As far as rehab, he didn't think the program was helping him, so he said what he had to get out, and conquered his addiction on his own.
Last edited by TTTBone on Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Purple_Pride » Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:17 pm

probably not the worst guy around but off the fieldball field i dont think these guys are role models. just my humble opinion.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby VHawk15 » Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:37 pm

AF wrote:You know, I read a book once. It said, let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Think about that for awhile.

Very good point. If you look at this from a different point of view, people like Favre, and there are many of them, make the best role models. They represent those who have fought through their addictions and vices, which is something we all try to do.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk