Corey Dillon - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Corey Dillon

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Buckychudd » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:29 pm

KingGhidra wrote:He's averaged 1300 rushing yards over 6 seasons on a team that finishes 3-13. To me, he's doing something right. In his prime, on a better team, he could've finished top 5 in rushing all 6 seasons. Rushing TDs are a reflection of your offense. If your team is losing 13 games a season, you aren't scoring much, which means no players are racking up TDs.

Overrated? no
Whiner? absolutely

If you count this season, it's sub 1200 rushing yards. He's never had over 1500 rushing yards, and has barely broken the 1600 mark in all purpose yards.

LT2 managed 1600+ yards, and a whopping 2370 all purpose yards this year while his team went 4-12. Tiki Barber managed more all purpose yards on a 4-12 team this year than Dillon has ever had in a season. Fragile Fred rushed for 1572 yds on a 5-11 team this year, again more rushing yards than Dillon has ever had. So don't put him on a pedistal for being on a losing team.

Hmmm, the year before Dillon came to Cincy was the last year they didn't have a losing record. The one season since then they experiment with another RB? They finish 8-8, their best season since Dillon came to Cincy.....coincidence? Maybe it was him bringing the rest of the team down all those years.

A good player brings the rest of his team up.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KingGhidra » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:51 pm

Buckychudd wrote:
KingGhidra wrote:He's averaged 1300 rushing yards over 6 seasons on a team that finishes 3-13. To me, he's doing something right. In his prime, on a better team, he could've finished top 5 in rushing all 6 seasons. Rushing TDs are a reflection of your offense. If your team is losing 13 games a season, you aren't scoring much, which means no players are racking up TDs.

Overrated? no
Whiner? absolutely

If you count this season, it's sub 1200 rushing yards. He's never had over 1500 rushing yards, and has barely broken the 1600 mark in all purpose yards.

LT2 managed 1600+ yards, and a whopping 2370 all purpose yards this year while his team went 4-12. Tiki Barber managed more all purpose yards on a 4-12 team this year than Dillon has ever had in a season. Fragile Fred rushed for 1572 yds on a 5-11 team this year, again more rushing yards than Dillon has ever had. So don't put him on a pedistal for being on a losing team.

Hmmm, the year before Dillon came to Cincy was the last year they didn't have a losing record. The one season since then they experiment with another RB? They finish 8-8, their best season since Dillon came to Cincy.....coincidence? Maybe it was him bringing the rest of the team down all those years.

A good player brings the rest of his team up.

I give him points for staying healthy (up to this season) and being consistent. He isn't the talent LT is, that's for sure, so a comparison there isn't even fair. It's a shame Corey wasn't healthy this year, because I wonder how he would have done on a much improved Cincy team. I'd take prime Dillon over a prime Barber (all other things being equal), that's for sure. I'd take a prime Taylor over Dillon though.

I can't even begin to speculate if Dillon made the Bengals bad, but I think having no offense, no defense, no scouting, no coaching and wasting draft picks had a lot more to do with it.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Buckychudd » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:12 pm

KingGhidra wrote:I give him points for staying healthy (up to this season) and being consistent. He isn't the talent LT is, that's for sure, so a comparison there isn't even fair. It's a shame Corey wasn't healthy this year, because I wonder how he would have done on a much improved Cincy team. I'd take prime Dillon over a prime Barber (all other things being equal), that's for sure. I'd take a prime Taylor over Dillon though.

Yeah, he has been healthy, but his consistency has only been year to year, not game to game. He disappears against some defenses. This year I think his health problems had more to do with him trying to work a trade than him actually being hurt, which makes me lose even more respect for him. I think the only reason he "got healthy" this year was because he watched Rudi trounce a couple D's and figured he had to prove something if he still wanted to be in the NFL in 2004.

Thing is, every year he's been in the league there seems to be 5 or 10 RBs that I would rather have than him. This year it's more like 15 or 20......

I can't even begin to speculate if Dillon made the Bengals bad, but I think having no offense, no defense, no scouting, no coaching and wasting draft picks had a lot more to do with it.

Yeah, but it makes you wonder doesn't it?
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby KingGhidra » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:18 pm

Buckychudd wrote:
KingGhidra wrote:I give him points for staying healthy (up to this season) and being consistent. He isn't the talent LT is, that's for sure, so a comparison there isn't even fair. It's a shame Corey wasn't healthy this year, because I wonder how he would have done on a much improved Cincy team. I'd take prime Dillon over a prime Barber (all other things being equal), that's for sure. I'd take a prime Taylor over Dillon though.

Yeah, he has been healthy, but his consistency has only been year to year, not game to game. He disappears against some defenses. This year I think his health problems had more to do with him trying to work a trade than him actually being hurt, which makes me lose even more respect for him. I think the only reason he "got healthy" this year was because he watched Rudi trounce a couple D's and figured he had to prove something if he still wanted to be in the NFL in 2004.

Thing is, every year he's been in the league there seems to be 5 or 10 RBs that I would rather have than him. This year it's more like 15 or 20......

15 or 20? Are we talking fantasy or real teams? If I were a "team", I'd want LT, Portis, Green, Edge, Taylor, Barlow, Lewis over him and that's about it (after that, it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other). I'd rather see "Dillon" on my depth chart than Hambrick, Green, Duckett, Pittman, Bryson, Bettis, Staley etc etc.

Yeah, but it makes you wonder doesn't it?[/quote]
Not really. That's way too much conspiracy theory, when there are way more concrete facts you can point to why the Bengals were bad and why they were good this year.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Buckychudd » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:34 pm

KingGhidra wrote:15 or 20? Are we talking fantasy or real teams? If I were a "team", I'd want LT, Portis, Green, Edge, Taylor, Barlow, Lewis over him and that's about it (after that, it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other). I'd rather see "Dillon" on my depth chart than Hambrick, Green, Duckett, Pittman, Bryson, Bettis, Staley etc etc.

You want a list.....how about:
LT2, AGreen, Padre, Portis, J Lewis, McAllister, Alexander, Edge, Ricky, Fragile Fred, Henry, Stephen Davis, Barlow, Dominick Davis, Faulk, Barber, CMart, Rudi....that's 19, is that enough?

So by your rankings, you're saying that right now Dillon is roughly equivilant to: Padre, McAllister, Alexander, Ricky, Henry, Stephen Davis, and Faulk. No offense, but you're crazy.....
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby KingGhidra » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:48 pm

Buckychudd wrote:
KingGhidra wrote:15 or 20? Are we talking fantasy or real teams? If I were a "team", I'd want LT, Portis, Green, Edge, Taylor, Barlow, Lewis over him and that's about it (after that, it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other). I'd rather see "Dillon" on my depth chart than Hambrick, Green, Duckett, Pittman, Bryson, Bettis, Staley etc etc.

You want a list.....how about:
LT2, AGreen, Padre, Portis, J Lewis, McAllister, Alexander, Edge, Ricky, Fragile Fred, Henry, Stephen Davis, Barlow, Dominick Davis, Faulk, Barber, CMart, Rudi....that's 19, is that enough?

So by your rankings, you're saying that right now Dillon is roughly equivilant to: Padre, McAllister, Alexander, Ricky, Henry, Stephen Davis, and Faulk. No offense, but you're crazy.....

Sorry I forgot a few. Namely McAllister, Alexander and Henry. After that it becomes iffy with age & injuries (Holmes/Faulk/Davis). Ricky I guess, but he may have seen his better days already with so many carries the last two years ala Eddie George.

So that adds 3 more definites to my list, which makes him 11th overall. I definitely wouldn't take Barber(fumblitis) or CMart(salary cap) over Dillon if I were the GM of an NFL franchise. Dom Davis and Rudi are in limbo right now. Give me a full season of work and let me see what they can really do.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:07 pm

I used to be a B.I.G. believer in Dillon. Owned him in various leagues for several seasons.
The problem with Corey Dillon ... fantasy-wise ... is that his stats tend to look something like this:
Game 1 - 99 yards
Game 2 - 34 yards
Game 3 - 176 yards
Game 4 - 37 yards
Game 5 - injured
Game 6 - 52 yards
Game 7 - 211 yards
Game 8 - 14 yards

You get the idea.
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DUKE » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:34 pm

ScreamingWeasel wrote:I used to be a B.I.G. believer in Dillon. Owned him in various leagues for several seasons.
The problem with Corey Dillon ... fantasy-wise ... is that his stats tend to look something like this:
Game 1 - 99 yards
Game 2 - 34 yards
Game 3 - 176 yards
Game 4 - 37 yards
Game 5 - injured
Game 6 - 52 yards
Game 7 - 211 yards
Game 8 - 14 yards

You get the idea.

A lot of the reason for this is because of the team. The Bengals in many games would fall behind very early and be forced to abandon the run. The Bengals would always use their first couple of possesions trying to establish the run. If Corey broke a big one, and somehow rendered the team a score, then they would have the luxury of pounding it on the ground some more for the next possesion. If they didn't score, then the other team gets the ball, inevitably scores, and puts the team behind. A couple times of this happening, and the running game becomes futile. This past year, he was injured for most of the year, and by the time he came back, the fans (including myself) was already tired of his bitching and had already embraced Rudi Johnson's success. So right now, he's somewhat of a mystery, as to what he can do with another team. He could be a steal for someone, and give them a top notch back, or his best days could be behind him and could give his suiters an overhyped crybaby. I tend to think he's still a very talented crybaby, but will be happy to see him leave Cincy.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:01 pm

DUKE wrote:The Bengals in many games would fall behind very early and be forced to abandon the run.

What you're saying is perfectly true, it's exactly what the Bengals did.
But for the life of me, I have never, ever, understood this.

I used to draft Barry Sanders every year, whenever I could.
Barry would have -7 yards at halftime.
And wind up with 140 and a TD or 2 at the end of the game.

And how in the world can Marshall Faulk have, what was it?, 7 attempts in an overtime game last week?

You just have to commit to the run. And when you have a Dillon or a Faulk on your team, game plan page 1 is 20 carries minimum. Every game. Period. Whatever the case.

It's hard to truly judge Corey Dillon considering the above.
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:03 pm

ScreamingWeasel wrote:
DUKE wrote:The Bengals in many games would fall behind very early and be forced to abandon the run.

What you're saying is perfectly true, it's exactly what the Bengals did.
But for the life of me, I have never, ever, understood this.

I used to draft Barry Sanders every year, whenever I could.
Barry would have -7 yards at halftime.
And wind up with 140 and a TD or 2 at the end of the game.

And how in the world can Marshall Faulk have, what was it?, 7 attempts in an overtime game last week?

You just have to commit to the run. And when you have a Dillon or a Faulk on your team, game plan page 1 is 20 carries minimum. Every game. Period. Whatever the case.

It's hard to truly judge Corey Dillon considering the above.

If he were to go to Washington or Dallas, you bet your biscuits he'd have a minimum 20 carries a game.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk