Warner back maybe as Ram's starter next season - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Warner back maybe as Ram's starter next season

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby jebatzel » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:29 pm

Anyone read the EPSN Mag article on Bulger? (couple issues ago)

Martz was going to take out Bulger late in game for Warner, but Warner said Martz should live in Bulger for the experience or something.

JB
jebatzel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Buckychudd » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:07 pm

jebatzel wrote:Anyone read the EPSN Mag article on Bulger? (couple issues ago)

Martz was going to take out Bulger late in game for Warner, but Warner said Martz should live in Bulger for the experience or something.

JB

Yup, I read this too......the only thing that has kept Buger as St. Louis' starting QB this year is Warner. He won't be so kind in the offseason.

Again, not saying that Warner is going to be the Rams QB next year, but he will give Bulger a real fight for the job.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:55 pm

for what it is worth, I am secretly rooting for bulger. I think he will be good eventually, these things take time. It feels like donovan has finally arrived thsi postseason. a s an eagles fan this has been ahrd, but I think that it is a part of the maturation process. Sometimes, it takes a while. Farve, manning, donovan, steve young, aikman, all took a while. (not that donovan is in some of their calsses yet) vick still has growing to do as do culpepper, hasselbeck and some others. I jsut think that it is an incredibly diffiult position to play and be succesful at. The onyl comprably degree of difficulty position, coupled with ultimate responsibilty that I can think of in sports is nhl goalie. There si so much to learn jsut on the basic level. Then you have the individual nuances of YOUR team to deal with. When you really mature, you master those, but then learn to exploit other teams -- since you know what you need with your own personell.

I am glad farve went down for obvious reasons this week, but if the eagles lost, and I am pretty die hard, he was getting my rooting interest.

I remember an article si put out two or three years ago, the whole thing was what farve does with every play, broken down by seconds. the whole thing took like two pages to detail, and that was just against ONE type of defense. It involved all the checkdowns everything. It truly is amazing what you need to know to be adequate, let alone good at the position. I think bulger is doing jsut fine all things considered. I think next year he will be better. I think even though their styles are all different, compaing his progression to manning and donovan is apporpriate here. You need to screw up in some big games before you learn how not to. manning had the bad seasons and the playoof woes. donovan has had the costly and untimely int. Bulger would be great if martz was out of there and had a coach who truly appreciated what he had.

Think gruden, parcells, dungy, billy b or some other top flight coach wouldn't have that team absoloutely cruising? I think it is a godsend that the rams don't ahve that good of a caoch. a little discipline and some sound game coaching and bulger would be getting heralded as a hero.

as an eagles fan, I wanted NO part of playing against them this year. they make msitakes, but they can also cream you. I think bulger will be really good. "weak arm" or not.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Stingy D » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:13 pm

moochman wrote:I would be pretty surprised if Warner is the starter next year, but to go for OT against a team that's back-up RB had gotten 95 yards has to be viewed as a huge vote of no confidence for Bulger.

Word. It was not Bulger who gave up a 15 yard run on 3rd and 14. St. Louie got run around, over and through.

Bulger is the man. He is the future. If Martz starts doing the Butch Davis QB Shuffle, he will only ensure confusion, lack of cohesion on the team, and will not be sizing any Super Bowl rings anytime soon.

--SD
"When I am on the plane, ideas just come to my mind. It could be the altitude, it could be the idleness, but most likely it is caused by free alcohol." --Alexander Baburin, Chess Grandmaster
Stingy D
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:17 pm

If Bulger isn't starting next year, all the hundreds of seahawks fans on this board will be laughing all the way to the NFC West championship.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby VHawk15 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:18 pm

Bulger will be the starter next year, not because he's a great QB, but because Warner will be gone.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby awwchrist » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:37 pm

KingGhidra wrote:
awwchrist wrote:Seriously, who freaking cares which QB starts next season for the Rams.

The next bad game he has, the other will come in.

QBBC.

History shows otherwise. He left Bulger in despite making threats otherwise. As bad as game Bulger may have had Saturday, Warner never saw the field. If anything, history shows Martz is pretty stubborn. He didn't pull Warner until it was absolutely necessary and he did the same thing this year with Bulger.

What history? Bulger's record as a starter? Or the chapter where he was gonna pull him and it was WARNER who said leave him in.

You're giving him too much credit.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:11 am

awwchrist wrote:
KingGhidra wrote:
awwchrist wrote:Seriously, who freaking cares which QB starts next season for the Rams.

The next bad game he has, the other will come in.

QBBC.

History shows otherwise. He left Bulger in despite making threats otherwise. As bad as game Bulger may have had Saturday, Warner never saw the field. If anything, history shows Martz is pretty stubborn. He didn't pull Warner until it was absolutely necessary and he did the same thing this year with Bulger.

What history? Bulger's record as a starter? Or the chapter where he was gonna pull him and it was WARNER who said leave him in.

You're giving him too much credit.

That's a nice story about Martz saying he wanted Warner to go back in and Warner saying, no don't do it to him let him play through it. I think someone on here posted about it sounding more like a PR move for Warner and making him seem like a team player blah blah so he has more trade value.

All I'm saying is, he didn't pull Warner until he had no choice. He didn't pull Bulger in the playoffs even though he may have had good reason to. Warner didn't see the field when everything was on the line, why would he see it next year or even be in a Rams uniform?

Most people think Bulger is better than Warner right now. I think Martz is starting to understand that too.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby latraffic » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:14 am

moochman wrote: Bulger is the man. He is the future. If Martz starts doing the Butch Davis QB Shuffle, he will only ensure confusion, lack of cohesion on the team, and will not be sizing any Super Bowl rings anytime soon. --SD

Agree 100%. Bulger is young and inexperienced yet has good field vision, accurate and smart. Over the next three years, if St. Louis leaves him in there to learn as he goes, he will become a top 5 QB.

Martz is the problem in St. Louis. He's a lousy head coach and needs to be replaced.

Warner is currently lost and has zero confidence in his talents. He needs to be traded to a bad team that needs him so he can get his head on straight again and remember how to play.
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dan » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:56 pm

not that I am rooting for Warner, but what puzzled me a bit, was that Warner was pulled very quick this season, after he really played well for the StLouis the other years before his injury woes...

he was pulled after week one loss, where he really fumbled the way to a loss against the Giants. But come, a former MVP, who you put in as starter in week one is pulled after ONE lousy game?!?

Bulger lost two fumbles in week 2, but St.Louis still won, but lost the game in week 3 with 2 INTs...and he had really a couple more woeful games, where he sometimes was simply lucky the Rams still won! In my opinion, Bulger is just an average NFL QB, who just happens to be a better fantasy QB because of playing in St.Louis and its offense system.

If he really hads somewhere else, lets say Dallas, then good night Cowboys...Bulger is by no means better than Quincy Carter.

Again, I don't root for Warner, but it surprised me, he never really got a chance this year...
Dan
Maitre D'
Maitre D'

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk