New systems... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

New systems...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:39 pm

If you're thinking about getting a next-gen system, especially a PS3, I wouldn't just look at the release date and figure you'd have to wait until then...

Most systems get delayed a couple of times, and then when there finally is a firm release date, I'd add about 4 months to that for the time it will take you to actually get one, unless you plan on sleeping outside for 3 days straight...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:04 pm

Free Bagel wrote:If you're thinking about getting a next-gen system, especially a PS3, I wouldn't just look at the release date and figure you'd have to wait until then...

Most systems get delayed a couple of times, and then when there finally is a firm release date, I'd add about 4 months to that for the time it will take you to actually get one, unless you plan on sleeping outside for 3 days straight...

Actually, surprisingly enough it shouldn't be too hard. I live in a very small town in SC, actually right across the border from Georgia, 30 mins away from Augusta National. There are three places I could buy one, maybe 4. I have Target, Walmart, and EB, and I think there is another place in town where they would have them. I know Gamecubes are definitely not as big but I was able to get one of these the day it came out quite easily. Living in a small town means there are not as many people that will be in line wanting to get one so I don't think I will have a problem there. I will get up at 4 AM if I have to. But either way I don't think it will be out until Christmas 05.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby CKY_ROX » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:59 pm

M_Zimm wrote:Since the new systems probably aren't coming out until mid 05 I am checking into buying one now. I have a couple questions for you guys...

1, do any of you have an off-brand adapter? I noticed there are a couple online adapters for PS2 that are different brands and are cheaper. Do they work as good?

2, Do any of you have a headset? I know they sell them and it would be cool but how cool would it be if you can't talk because the other person doesn't have one...my main purpose is for Madden 04.

On eBay I have found that I could probably get a PS2 for about $130 max. Then I found Madden for about $30 and a Sony adapter will be at least $30. So that would be almost $200 plus shipping. That's not too bad.

1. i dont know, the sony one if good and relyable

2. the headset is a nice feature ive played with some with and some without it, its a lil funn to trash talk and jok around with them its more fun
CKY_ROX
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:02 pm

I agree, Zimm. Nintendo really hasn't progressed away from Mario and Zelda. The characters from the original NES games are about the only games worth buying. Playstation has some great RPG's, and if you like playing sports games against other people, it has to be the way to go. I didn't even know Nintendo had online playing capability at this point. I would say Sony, being a computer manufacturer, knew that people would want to play games against other people online. That's why the PS2 is and PS3 will be a great system for gaming.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:12 pm

I've got a dumb question, how many USB ports does the PS2 have??? The off-brand adpater uses a USB port instead of the expansion port so if there is only one that would mean that i wouldn't be able to use a headset while online of I get the off-brand one. Is there anything else that the PS2 uses the expansion slot for?
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:14 pm

M_Zimm wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:If you're thinking about getting a next-gen system, especially a PS3, I wouldn't just look at the release date and figure you'd have to wait until then...

Actually, surprisingly enough it shouldn't be too hard. I live in a very small town in SC, actually right across the border from Georgia, 30 mins away from Augusta National. There are three places I could buy one, maybe 4. I have Target, Walmart, and EB, and I think there is another place in town where they would have them. I know Gamecubes are definitely not as big but I was able to get one of these the day it came out quite easily. Living in a small town means there are not as many people that will be in line wanting to get one so I don't think I will have a problem there. I will get up at 4 AM if I have to. But either way I don't think it will be out until Christmas 05.

Uh, Gamecube is one thing, if you're planning on a PS3 you're in for a whole different ballgame.

I live in a fairly small town as well, with more than 4 places to get them, and they were on backorder for months. They sold on ebay the first month after launch for more than $1000. Finally after about 6 months me and some friends caved and slept out at BB. We worked it out where we kept one and sold the rest for $500 a pop, and basically got a PS2 plus some extra cash and then bought one of our own for $300 another 6 months later when they actually stayed in stock for more than 2 minutes at a time.

Trust me, if you're looking at Sony's next gen console and launch goes anything like it did last time, 4am is not nearly early enough...4am 3 days before, maybe.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:27 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
M_Zimm wrote:

Uh, Gamecube is one thing, if you're planning on a PS3 you're in for a whole different ballgame.

I live in a fairly small town as well, with more than 4 places to get them, and they were on backorder for months. They sold on ebay the first month after launch for more than $1000. Finally after about 6 months me and some friends caved and slept out at BB. We worked it out where we kept one and sold the rest for $500 a pop, and basically got a PS2 plus some extra cash and then bought one of our own for $300 another 6 months later when they actually stayed in stock for more than 2 minutes at a time.

Trust me, if you're looking at Sony's next gen console and launch goes anything like it did last time, 4am is not nearly early enough...4am 3 days before, maybe.

I know Gamecube and Xbox are different but there was no line at all to get either one of those at the time. I got a GC but I could have gotten an XBox instead. I don't know why but I remember when PS2 came out there was nobody sleeping outside of Target or Walmart or anything here. I know those are not the Sony system but if it is that easy I should be able to get a PS2 with not too much more effort. I don't know though, maybe I am wrong, I am leaning torwards getting one now anyways. I may still get one then though. The way I see it I probably won't be able to get one until mid 06.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Canacuna » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:54 pm

I think it would be smart to buy a new system a few months later anyway. When they first come out, if you're able to preorder one in time, will run you near $300, without a game, extra controller, memory card, etc. If you wait another six months or so (maybe a year would be more realistic), some packages become available, or the system price decreases about $50.

...Unless you can manage to get someone to get it for you for Christmas, that is. :-D
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:02 pm

Canacuna wrote:I think it would be smart to buy a new system a few months later anyway. When they first come out, if you're able to preorder one in time, will run you near $300, without a game, extra controller, memory card, etc. If you wait another six months or so (maybe a year would be more realistic), some packages become available, or the system price decreases about $50.

...Unless you can manage to get someone to get it for you for Christmas, that is. :-D

I agree but I don't know if I could wait another year so I think I will try to buy a PS2 now and then I can wait for the PS3 to come down in price a little and may be get it for Christmas, but if I have to wait then that would mean that it would be Christmas 06 which is a long ways away. I agree that it would probably be smart to wait a little while.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby terpfan » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:58 pm

dont hold ur breath for the ps3... i have a feeling it will be a little while. which is good because id otn want to shell out another $300 for one when the ps2 is just fine!
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games