Norv - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Norv

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:50 am

Anonymous wrote:
terpfan wrote:ud really be excited over norv, eh? u wont find too many redskins fans that would have many great thigns to say about him...

The Redskins and their fans aren't exactly geniuses in hiring and firing coaches. Gibbs was run out of town during his final years, now they talk about him like he is god. Spurrier and his 'fun and gun' was the 'next big thing' to hit the NFL....we're still waiting.

I'd think Redskins fans would say something good about Norv developing Stephen Davis, but the 'Skins obviously didn't think much of Davis and sent him off to Carolina.

How did Carolina do with Davis at RB? hmmmm. They are still playing, so obviously alot better than the 'Skins.

It's a good thing you aren't making gross generalizations and lumping all Redskins fans together, cause that would be moronic.

I was sad to see Gibbs go. I never thought Norv Turner did a good job developing talent in DC outside of Stephen Davis (and he came at the end of Norv's tenure) and a few others. Tidus Winans, Michael Westbrook & Desmond Howard weren't exactly franchise WRs. The only time we had an above average QB(Johnson), he was run out of town. Turner is another one of those guys who now go on my list of head coaches who got another HC job without doing something good at the previous spot to warrant it.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby terpfan » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:22 pm

Anonymous wrote:
terpfan wrote:ud really be excited over norv, eh? u wont find too many redskins fans that would have many great thigns to say about him...

The Redskins and their fans aren't exactly geniuses in hiring and firing coaches. Gibbs was run out of town during his final years, now they talk about him like he is god. Spurrier and his 'fun and gun' was the 'next big thing' to hit the NFL....we're still waiting.

I'd think Redskins fans would say something good about Norv developing Stephen Davis, but the 'Skins obviously didn't think much of Davis and sent him off to Carolina.

How did Carolina do with Davis at RB? hmmmm. They are still playing, so obviously alot better than the 'Skins.

a notorious skins hater rears his ugly head... ghidra pretty much has this covered but one thing i have to say is i stopped reading after u said gibbs was run out of town. puhh-leeeze. :-t
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Roseman » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:42 pm

I remember watching the News conference when Gibbs retired he was hardly run out of town he just retired to go on to other thing he retired a Champion and if he stuck a round I think he might have made it two in a row. The Bills didnt provide to much resistence in the Superbowls that followed.
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby The Sandwich » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:51 pm

Hey, now that Norv has been named, what is the value of Garner, Wheatley and Fargas? I have Fargas on my team, but my guess is he is a few years off from productivity.
"They're Killing Me Whitey! They're Killing Me"!
The Sandwich
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:16 pm

The Sandwich wrote:Hey, now that Norv has been named, what is the value of Garner, Wheatley and Fargas? I have Fargas on my team, but my guess is he is a few years off from productivity.

Gotta go with the young Fargas as the new version of Garner. Shifty and fast. If he can catch, he could be unbelievable. He ran some of the fastest combine times in the history of them doing the combine.

POSITIVES: Big interior back who displays a variety of skills. Powerful runner that aggressively takes on opponents and lays his shoulders into defenders, breaking the first tackle and picking up a lot of yardage off initial contact. Displays vision and patience, follows blocks and quickly finds the running lanes. Good football instinct and not just a bruising back but one who displays elusiveness in a short area. Works his runs and always finds a way to pick up positive yardage through the small openings on the field. Doles out a lot of punishment and gets stronger as the game proceeds, taking the important hand-offs late in the contest. Has adequate hands out of the backfield and effective when called upon to block.

NEGATIVES: Lacks the great footwork or ability to bounce it to the outside and though he shows a good burst of speed, not a ball carrier who can run to daylight or one that plays to his recently timed forty.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Sandwich » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:55 pm

Thanks King.

I have him on my bench. Good to know.
"They're Killing Me Whitey! They're Killing Me"!
The Sandwich
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:47 am

I guess the 'Skins fans conveniently forget that Gibbs was disinterested in coaching during his final season, and wasn't really putting his heart into it. You can't coach a team half-assed, not really wanting to be there. The other coaches saw it, the players saw it, some of the fans without their 'skin's-colored' glasses saw it. Times were not good during Gibbs final season. His retirement surprised some, but many others saw it coming in his detached final years.

Friendliness: %

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:43 am

Fargas didn't really impress me this year when he was in there. He may be the fastest guy in the world, but he looked lost as a RB. I wouldn't hold out too much hope for him doing much next year. Raiders could trade down and get a good RB, ertainly a better RB than Fargas.

I think Fargas is a decent back-up, but I doubt he ever amounts to anything more than that. Even with Norv in charge, I don't Fargas is going to be a guy that gets a ton of carries.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Previous

Return to Football Talk