Yo Trans!! It's Go Time!! PB Style!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Yo Trans!! It's Go Time!! PB Style!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:52 am

Edit: It was actually a wire story from the Miami Herald that ran in the Charlotte Observer:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/7811405.htm

Brady likely to wear a bull's-eye
By JASON COLE
Miami Herald

HOUSTON - You have to wonder if that pretty dimple on Tom Brady's face might turn into more of a bull's-eye come Sunday.

Carolina defensive end Julius Peppers chuckled lightly when asked about that idea. The often bashful Peppers is a man who has overcome his discomfort with the spotlight.

The question that remains for Peppers and his Panthers linemates is whether they can make New England quarterback Tom Brady uncomfortable during Super Bowl XXXVII on Sunday at Reliant Stadium. It is no easy task and could require a bit of sacrifice by the Panthers.

As in the sacrifice of a couple of 15-yard penalties for roughing the passer.

``I don't think that's something you'll see us really go after,'' Peppers said, averting his eyes to prevent himself from portraying even the smallest element about Carolina's defensive game plan.

Based on recent history, however, that might become the best option for the defense-oriented Panthers. The spoils of victory in the Super Bowl have generally gone to the team that can inflict the most pain on the opposing quarterback.

On Jan. 31, 1999, for instance, Denver defensive coordinator Greg Robinson wrote on a blackboard before the Broncos played Atlanta that Falcons quarterback Chris Chandler had to be hit constantly. Robinson figured Chandler, who never finished a season unscathed, would eventually flinch.

The same held true when Tennessee narrowly lost to St. Louis and quarterback Kurt Warner the next year or when Baltimore dispatched the New York Giants and quarterback Kerry Collins the next season. The examples are essentially a constant.

The problem for Carolina is Brady has turned his quickness up a notch in the playoffs. He has not been sacked in two playoff games, the first time all season he hasn't been taken down in back-to-back games.

``Sometimes as a defensive lineman, you beat the offensive lineman and as soon as you get to the quarterback he is throwing the ball,'' Peppers said. ``That is frustrating. You have to keep at it. Sooner or later you will get to him.

``Brady does a great job of getting the ball out of there. We have a lot of different things we like to throw at you with our defense. By Sunday, we'll have something to throw them off.''

So, what about it, Julius, do you think a couple of extracurricular pops at Brady, who has graced the cover of more magazines lately than Christie Brinkley in her prime, might do the trick?

``Man, I told you, I can't talk about that,'' said Peppers, who was second on the team with seven sacks this season.

That's not a stunning total, but it's solid for a player in Peppers' spot. At left end, Peppers has had to play against the run more this season.

It's not exactly the kind of ability Peppers flashed last season when he had 12 sacks in 12 games before missing the final four games because of a suspension for use of a banned substance.

However, Peppers has still been everything the Panthers imagined when they drafted him No. 2 overall in 2002. He has 65 tackles, 32 quarterback hurries and seven passes defensed in his two seasons.

While the Panthers have an extremely talented front four with Mike Rucker, Kris Jenkins and Brentson Buckner, Peppers is the one who stirs the drink.

``We're all trying to be the best all the time, but you know that Julius has something special,'' Buckner said. ``He's gifted, man. Really gifted. To be that big and strong and quick, that's the total package. No question.''

Brady: a "very mediocre QB" - no1cowboysfan

Mitchell: "To me, the Patriots are not that good. ... We're the better team... A good team crushes that Patriot team. I'm telling you, they're not that good.'
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yo Trans!! It's Go Time!! PB Style!!

Postby slowkidz » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:54 am

Transmogrifier wrote:I have complete faith in my team, but if Tom Brady takes an illegal hit (the Charlotte Observer wrote an article about the Panther's defense game plan including roughing up Brady, even for 15-yard penalties to get him out of rhythm) early on, then I know we'll lose. And I will not wear a paperbag for a team that won 14 straight games--the second best all time.

man Trans....sounds to me like you're already making excuses for this Sunday's game. :-b
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:07 am

Slowkidz wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:I have complete faith in my team, but if Tom Brady takes an illegal hit (the Charlotte Observer wrote an article about the Panther's defense game plan including roughing up Brady, even for 15-yard penalties to get him out of rhythm) early on, then I know we'll lose. And I will not wear a paperbag for a team that won 14 straight games--the second best all time.

man Trans....sounds to me like you're already making excuses for this Sunday's game. :-b

Excuses, hardly. The Pats without Brady are like the Eagles without McNabb.

The Pats will win this game, despite all these bandwagon Cats fans. People forget how good these Pats are--tell me, Slow, how many teams in the HISTORY of the game have won 14 or more consecutive games in a season?

Simmons has some good reasons here:

Anyway, something has been bothering me all week: Everyone down here thinks Carolina will give the Patriots a close game, possibly even winning outright. This seems to happen every time there's a mismatch on a paper, but the game seems just close enough that everyone has a good time talking themselves into the underdog. That's what happens when you have two weeks between Championship Weekend and the Super Bowl.

What drives me crazy is when people who should know their stuff casually dismiss the Pats. Like Chris Mortensen -- we were arguing in the ESPN makeshift offices today. He thinks that the Panthers can win. "Are you crazy?" I kept saying to him. "You've been covering football forever. You should know how these things work!"

Mort wouldn't budge. Apparently, he thought Carolina's performance over the past three weeks was much more impressive than New England's performance over the past four months. Which certainly makes sense.

So let's talk about it -- logically, without even mentioning a single matchup. Just look at the two teams. To get here, the Panthers drew a mediocre Cowboys team, a comically coached Rams team, then a banged-up Eagles team that lost its best player in the second quarter. Just two months ago, they lost three consecutive games. Now they're a juggernaut because they emerged from a terrible conference?

Listening to this heresy the past few days, I don't know whether I want to argue with this people or encourage them. Please keep thinking this. Seriously. Maybe the line will dip below seven by game time. At this rate, I'll have HDTV, XM Radio and a 40-inch plasma TV by the end of the playoffs.

I'm saving my big pick for Friday -- you probably know where I'm headed. In the meantime, think about the Patriots and their 14-game winning streak. For some reason, this keeps getting overlooked. You would think a 14-game winning streak was hard to overlook. You would think.

Consider the following things:

The Pats lost their last game against the Redskins on Sept. 28. The baseball playoffs started two days later. Now, we're about three weeks away from pitchers and catchers reporting ... and they still haven't lost a game. Only one other team in the history of the league -- the '72 Dolphins -- has won more games in a row than New England. And nobody seems to be even mildly impressed by this.

Richard Seymour and the Pats defense have allowed just one 100-yard rusher this season.

Of those 14 victories, eight of them came against teams that won 10 games or more. The Panthers only played four teams with a winning record all season ... and they still lost five games! If this were the BCS, they would have been playing in the Galleryfurniture.com Bowl.

Looking back over these past four months, the best teams were the Pats, Titans, Eagles and Colts. They were the cream of the crop. And the Pats went 5-0 against those other three teams. Has that ever happened before?

During the duration of this streak -- 14 consecutive wins over nearly four months -- do you know how many times the Pats made the cover of Sports Illustrated? Zero. Not once. They were never favored by more than eight points in any of the 14 games. So why not continue to overlook them this week?

As amazing as this sounds, they still haven't played their best game. In none of those 14 wins did they slap together four top-notch quarters in a row. Seriously. Maybe the closest was the Buffalo game in Week 17.

The Pats defense has only allowed one 100-yard rusher all season. Sixteen of the 18 quarterbacks they played ended up with a lower QB rating then they had for the rest of the season. They also have the best coach in the league. And their starting QB has a record of 39-12. Apparently none of this matters.

Remember Tom Brady has already won a Super Bowl.

They're playing the fourth seed from the NFC ... and the NFC absolutely sucked this season. The disparity between the two conferences hasn't been this glaring since the early-'90s. Just look at what happened with that Packers-Seahawks-Vikings-Cowboys debacle in the past two weeks -- the Pack went from needing a miracle to make the playoffs to being everyone's sleeper in the span of 12 hours.

Anyway, if the Super Bowl has taught us anything, it's this: When the best team from a superior conference has two weeks to prepare for an upstart team from an inferior conference, the game usually gets out of hand early (see San Diego-San Fran, Denver-Atlanta, Baltimore-N.Y. Giants, Chicago-New England). Especially with a shaky QB on the inferior team involved.

For the team from the inferior conference, the Super Bowl feels like jumping from the All-Pro level to All-Madden. That's just a fact.

The Panthers lost three consecutive games less than two months ago. They also prevailed in three of the luckiest games of the season -- the fourth-and-10 to beat the Jags, the blocked extra point to beat the Bucs, and Jim Haslett's meltdown in New Orleans. Yeah, you need some luck ... but they were three plays away from being 8-8.

You could make a case that the Panthers are the weakest team that has ever made a Super Bowl (and if I had more time, I would). It's between them, the '95 Chargers and the '99 Falcons -- at least on my list. Has any team ever won a conference championship by having their QB throw three times in the second half of a relatively close game? Come on. You think John Fox took the ball out of Delhomme's hands because he wanted to rest him?

And with all of that said, here's the line for this week's game: Patriots by 7. And the majority of people like the Panthers.

Please tell me how any of this makes sense.

Mitchell: "To me, the Patriots are not that good. ... We're the better team... A good team crushes that Patriot team. I'm telling you, they're not that good.'
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Homeless » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:10 am

As they say over at that "other" forum, its time to step up to the plate !

:-b
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:13 am

Homeless wrote:As they say over at that "other" forum, its time to step up to the plate !

:-b

Speaking of which, do I get a baseball over here anytime soon? Or is that just for really special people like Madison?

Anyway, So, who is going to be the author of the third quote in my signature? I'm thinking Dan Morgan or Peppers--they both seem like the guys to say that they got beat by a "bad" team. ;-)

Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby slowkidz » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:22 am

Transmogrifier wrote:Excuses, hardly. The Pats without Brady are like the Eagles without McNabb.

The Pats will win this game, despite all these bandwagon Cats fans. People forget how good these Pats are--tell me, Slow, how many teams in the HISTORY of the game have won 14 or more consecutive games in a season?

hmmm... :-? ...off the top of my head i'd say the '72 Dolphins. ;-)

and ya...i think they are excuses...and remember, the Pats were the supposed "underdog" the last time they made it, and look what happened there. you never know what can happen in these big games. Carolina has a great, physical Dline. NE has a weak, gap filled Oline. When Brady gets hit, and hard, and often, you can't blame a "specialized plan." it'll be a tough game. a defensive game. the kind i like. Carolina's defense will take care of NE's offense. on the other hand, NE's defense should take care of Carolina's offense. It'll come down to the wire, and to see a SB go into OT will make it the most memorable yet! ;-D

but this takes me back to my original point...if you truly believe NE will win this matchup, then why not put the PB on the line? the wonn 14 games straight. congrats to them, that is a great feat in this day and age. however, that has nothing to do with who wins and who loses. to wear a pb or not...another team's av just would not do the challenge justice. cmon, step up. i am. ;-)
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:48 am

Slowkidz wrote:hmmm... :-? ...off the top of my head i'd say the '72 Dolphins. ;-)

There's another one you're forgetting. :-b

Slowkidz wrote: and ya...i think they are excuses...and remember, the Pats were the supposed "underdog" the last time they made it, and look what happened there. you never know what can happen in these big games. Carolina has a great, physical Dline. NE has a weak, gap filled Oline. When Brady gets hit, and hard, and often, you can't blame a "specialized plan." it'll be a tough game. a defensive game. the kind i like. Carolina's defense will take care of NE's offense. on the other hand, NE's defense should take care of Carolina's offense. It'll come down to the wire, and to see a SB go into OT will make it the most memorable yet! ;-D

Let me clarify something. I don't like excuses. I hate games that are blamed on refs--such as the Colts game, where everyone blamed bad calls instead of horrific play by Manning. I understand that the Cats will try to hit Brady and hard--that's fair. I won't blame them. My point is this: If some tragic even occurs, I don't to wear a PB for a team that has the second most consecutive wins of all time.

By the way, the Pats offense doesn't get enough credit. They do a very good job of moving the ball. And it's not just against teams like the Colts, who I could score on. Brady is not sacked not because of a great line, but because of the scheme--three and five step drops are the norm. He gets the ball out quick, and Givens and Branch make quick cuts to pull from defenders. The Cats' secondary has come on in the playoffs, but they still aren't that good. And the Cats can be run on--Peppers and Rucker often overpursue.

Slowkidz wrote:but this takes me back to my original point...if you truly believe NE will win this matchup, then why not put the PB on the line? the wonn 14 games straight. congrats to them, that is a great feat in this day and age. however, that has nothing to do with who wins and who loses. to wear a pb or not...another team's av just would not do the challenge justice. cmon, step up. i am. ;-)

Sorry, Slow, no go. It has nothing to do with not having faith. How could I possibly wear a PB after this season? Nope.

Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Dazedncnfz » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:05 pm

if you wont wear the pb then you shouldnt play this game...Tell you what, since you don't seem to have the brass one to do it, i will. Slow your on!!

I'm a fan of NE and if they lose I will wear it.

why??...cause thats the damn name of the game!

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:07 pm

Dazedncnfz wrote:if you wont wear the pb then you shouldnt play this game...

Fine with me. Slow, if you want, I'll bow out.

Thanks. ;-D

Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby DUKE » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:09 pm

Dazedncnfz wrote:if you wont wear the pb then you shouldnt play this game...Tell you what, since you don't seem to have the brass one to do it, i will. Slow your on!!

I'm a fan of NE and if they lose I will wear it.

why??...cause thats the damn name of the game!

Props to Dazey ;-D .......but your Pats are going DOWN! B-)
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk