Return to Football Talk

Next year's surprise team...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby DUKE » Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:47 pm

Guttpuppy wrote:
DUKE wrote:
Guttpuppy wrote:
DUKE wrote:no mention of the Bengals? :-[

No surprises there as they settle back into mediocrity... :-)

punk B-)

Who you callin' a punk,rocker boy? B-)

We got you twice next season(as usual) and we'll show ya what it's all about.

can't wait....after the first game next year, i'll have to bump this thread and give you some hell after our victory:-D
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mannubhai » Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:07 pm

DUKE wrote:
Guttpuppy wrote:
DUKE wrote:
Guttpuppy wrote:
DUKE wrote:no mention of the Bengals? :-[

No surprises there as they settle back into mediocrity... :-)

punk B-)

Who you callin' a punk,rocker boy? B-)

We got you twice next season(as usual) and we'll show ya what it's all about.

can't wait....after the first game next year, i'll have to bump this thread and give you some hell after our victory:-D

Bengals and Steelers fan..hold your breath..your team will make the playoffs only if more than one team from the AFC North make it to the playoffs, which is unlikely.. :-)

As far as the surprise team, I would say Houston most likely would be the surprise team next year.
mannubhai
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CC » Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:12 pm

Jags next year.
That offence with one of the best run D's in the NFL.
If they grab some corners and some pass rushers they are playoff bound.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Next year's surprise team...

Postby Buckychudd » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:43 pm

Guttpuppy wrote:foxsports.com

There are four 5-11 teams that could become next year's Panthers:

Jaguars. If John Fox can do it in his second season as head coach, so can his former defensive coordinator, Jack Del Rio. Jacksonville proved to be competitive with the Colts, and the Titans have salary-cap troubles. Del Rio already has a strong run defense in place, and the offense has explosive potential with Byron Leftwich and Fred Taylor. A little help in the secondary and at receiver would go a long way.

Redskins. What Bill Parcells did for the Cowboys, Joe Gibbs can do for their archrivals — speed up the learning curve with winning experience. There is some great talent in Washington, including Laveranues Coles and LaVar Arrington. Gibbs will get much more out of an underachieving offensive line to establish a ball-control, run-heavy scheme. The draft should bring answers for the team's biggest weakness, the defensive line.

Lions. Steve Mariucci did the best job he could in 2003, considering the team put 13 players on injured reserve. In 2004, a young defense will be healthier and continue to improve under new coordinator Dick Jauron. The offense again should get an early-draft boost, and Joey Harrington and Charles Rogers should develop into stars. The key to a quick turnaround, however, is finding a way to win on the road, where the Lions have lost a record 24 straight.

Texans. Dom Capers helped Carolina drop its "expansion" tag quickly and has done the same for Houston. Just as Domanick Davis and Andre Johnson were the right rookies to put around David Carr on offense, expect Capers and G.M. Charley Casserly to find the ideal young personnel for their 3-4 defense this off-season. If the Colts or Titans falter in the AFC South, watch out.

All those teams could be good.....except the Texans. I really don't see them overcoming either the Colts or Titans, and if you can't win in your division, you're done.

im going crazy, but i think the giants can make the playoffs next year

Don't really like NYG chances, they should have been great this year and blew it. Don't see how they can be any better with Fassel gone.....

I think SD has alot of potential, but they also have alot of tough divisional opponents. I think they turn it around next year, but still miss the playoffs.

I love Cincy's chances next year. I think they're a shoe in for the playoffs, might be as a wild card though.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Football Newbie » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:46 pm

alright i gotta do it- go bengals! RUDI, RUDI RUDI!!!!!!
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby DUKE » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:45 am

Football Newbie wrote:alright i gotta do it- go bengals! RUDI, RUDI RUDI!!!!!!

you know it ;-D and.......Palmer, Palmer!!! B-)
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:48 am

Lets go Cards!!!
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby moochman » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:50 am

Of the teams mentioned I think the Jags have the best shot to surprize simply because of the one thing a team can't win without; an O-line. The Jags have a pretty good O-line and a solid D. They could be a threat next year as long as they keep the inspirational axe out of the locker room. Duh.
The Lions and Redskins O-lines are in such disarray that it may be hard to turn them aground in one year. The Texans should be improved, but won't threaten to make the playoffs. IMH,BOW,O (In My Humble, But Often Wrong, Opinion)

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Lushcrush » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:31 pm

Of the teams listed in the article, I do like the Texans best although a common sentiment is that their division is brutal. If the CAN make it out of there alive it would be a major trick. But if they don't they still have lots of room to improve and very well could be a spoiler. Plus, I heard during the Super Bowl that Domanick Davis is from the same town in LA. the Delhomme is from. A little bit eerie ... a possible Super Bowl connection to Breaux Bridge, LA? :-?
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby badger526 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:25 pm

Why haven't you guys mentioned Arizona? Come on; how can superstars like Marcel Shipp and Josh McCown lose? Ok, seriously though... like Dic Vermeil said about the bengals: if any team gets enough top ten draft picks over the years they are bound to do well sometime.
Last edited by badger526 on Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badger526
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk