Where does Clarett go in the draft? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Where does Clarett go in the draft?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Where does Clarett go in the draft?

Postby moochman » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:18 am

Yes Clarett. According to the AP;]

"New York — Suspended Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett was ruled eligible for the NFL draft Thursday by a federal judge who concluded that the league's rule violates antitrust laws.

U.S. District Judge Shira A. Scheindlin ordered the NFL to let Clarett enter April's draft"

Will this stand? How will this change the face of the NFL? What will this do to the NCAA? And doesn't this make Tagliaboo look like a short sighted dolt for not seeing this coming and letting Fiztgerald in the draft already. Now instead of a poster boy for what anyone would hope their childern would be like be the first young 'un to be declared eligible, we have a illiterate, gambling, thief. Way to stay on top of things MFL.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby brdmaverick » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:36 am

this is bad news, personally, i would love to see the rule stand.

I am not a big fan of the state of the NBA, where some of the players can barely drive let alone drink.

This rule makes sense in the NFL, where players' bodies are not fully developed to take the pounding they would in the NFL.

I don't want to see a wave of NFL teams drafting guys out of high school based on potential (instead of their college ball experience) like the NBA a few years ago with Kwame Brown being selected first overall.
Go Pats!
brdmaverick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby brdmaverick » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:37 am

if McGahee went in the first round, I would bet Clarett would too.
Go Pats!
brdmaverick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:56 am

What a joke. If the college football turns into college basketball now in terms of players leaving way early or skipping college altogether, I hope the fans realize that it's Clarrett that caused this and boo him off the field no matter where he ends up.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby latraffic » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:00 am

I agree, first round pick, but I don't think it will be early. Too much risk. I predict he will go to a team that doesn't need a RB to take on a full load in the 2004 season but who has an eye on the future. Maybe somebody like Tennessee?
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Roseman » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:57 am

I disagree with the ruling too. The NFL and pro football is not like any of the other pro sports in NA.

This rule was put in place to protect young player not hinder them how many rooks have you heard about that have ended their NFL careers befor they even start with injuries or getting themselves in trouble with the Law.

I recall one TE that thought he was the greatest think since slice bread and was drafted by the Giants to be the next Marc Bravaro(no not Shockey) He held out in training camp and once he finally sign his first day in Camp he was lining up against Lawrence Taylor. The ball was snapped Taylor came across the line and hit this guy so hard that he ended the TE career before it even started.

Football is a big boys game it is not for teenagers

If Clarrett does enter the draft he should go early he is a real talent but he better watch his head there are going to be a lot of LBs out there looking to "welcome" him to the NFL after all the crap he has created over the last year.
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Re: Where does Clarett go in the draft?

Postby Gunslinger » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:00 pm

moochman wrote:Yes Clarett. According to the AP;]

"New York — Suspended Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett was ruled eligible for the NFL draft Thursday by a federal judge who concluded that the league's rule violates antitrust laws.

U.S. District Judge Shira A. Scheindlin ordered the NFL to let Clarett enter April's draft"

Will this stand? How will this change the face of the NFL? What will this do to the NCAA? And doesn't this make Tagliaboo look like a short sighted dolt for not seeing this coming and letting Fiztgerald in the draft already. Now instead of a poster boy for what anyone would hope their childern would be like be the first young 'un to be declared eligible, we have a illiterate, gambling, thief. Way to stay on top of things MFL.

The NFL specifically held off on Fitzgerald's decision so it would not complicate the judge's decision about Clarrett. In other words, they didn't want to give Clarrett's attourney's any ammunition to use in favor of letting him in. It didn't help, apparently.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby awwchrist » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:22 pm

I think a lot of it will depend on who his agent is.

He could be a top 5 pick.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:02 pm

he is not ready...hes a great athlete but he cant jump into the nfl like this he needs a little more experience in college...i dont like this at all...he lacks the maturity to be an NFL star...
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:09 pm

oh an by maturity i mean mentally and physically...he hasnt even played since 02...i dont see him a 1st rounder though...
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk