Portis Holdup - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Portis Holdup

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby terpfan » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:14 pm

i tend to side agaisnt players wanting more money... but 380k for clinton portis is ridiculous. they should make him happy, he deserves it and they will want to be on good terms with him when his rook contract runs up. i for one am not a huge believer in the "anyone rb can be a star in denver" i would not want to lose portis.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:15 pm

I didn't realize he was not making very much money. Someone needs to pay that boy because he is a superstar in the making, if he isn't already.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Go Vikes » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:31 pm

CP is on my dynasty team also. Take a look at my nice signature. Cool, isn't it. Thanks Zimm
Go Vikes
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:43 pm

Several people I know are Bronco fans and they're not at all worried that Griffin couldn't put up similar numbers to Portis at Denver.

I mean come on...Olandis Gary...gimme a break.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:49 pm

The point is, that he signed a four year contract knowing it was a four year contract worth the amount noted. His agent is the same agent as Mcgahee, so he knew what he was doing.

I mean, with all these gay holdouts, why not just sign a 7 year deal everytime? That way, if you suck, you're garunteed to get paid for 7 years, and if you break out, then you just hold out and get a better contract, why bother signing a short-term deal?

He signed a 4 year deal, play that out, then sign a new one. He's twenty freaking one. He'll be twenty THREE when his contract runs out, come on. I'm sorry he's ONLY got 2 million dollars at age 21, please pay the poor kid enough for him to live off of :rolleyes:

Add into all this that the Denver system has a history of making running back overachieve, and he comes across as whiney. Sure, he brought up the point that there are special teams people on his team that make more than him, and he's the one in the probowl, but they're not 21 years old and on their first contract. They did their time with "crappy" (apparently 3 million dollars in 4 years is crappy) pay, and then signed their new deal, he can do the same.

IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO PLAY OUT THE CONTRACT THEN DON'T SIGN IT, IT'S THAT SIMPLE.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby awwchrist » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:01 pm

I never understand what generates the hostility over professional athletes paysums.

But whatever.

If it pisses anyone off that much you should really stop watching and paying for the entertainment.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:18 pm

It's not even that, he came out of college a year early, and signed a contract for 4 years for that amount of money. So for the next 4 years, he should get that amount of money, that's what a contract is.

If he wanted 10 million dollars, then he should've stayed in college another year, or signed a shorter contract, or signed an incentive contract, but he didn't, he signed the contract he has now, he did it, he read it, and he wrote his name down, that's all there is to it, he has to do it now, and then after that he can sign a new one and make that much.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Gunslinger » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:53 pm

Free Bagel wrote:It's not even that, he came out of college a year early, and signed a contract for 4 years for that amount of money. So for the next 4 years, he should get that amount of money, that's what a contract is.

If he wanted 10 million dollars, then he should've stayed in college another year, or signed a shorter contract, or signed an incentive contract, but he didn't, he signed the contract he has now, he did it, he read it, and he wrote his name down, that's all there is to it, he has to do it now, and then after that he can sign a new one and make that much.

I agree with the argument, but it doesn't work like that. The players always seem to get their way.

Of course, if there's one coach that might take a stand, it's Shanahan. Portis trade? Hmmm... :-?
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby awwchrist » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:48 am

Shanahan didn't make a stand when terrell davis held out...so why in this instance?

Bagel, how's Portis supposed to sign a 10mil contract when he was drafted in the 2nd round? After a year where Denver already posted a 1,000 yd rusher?

I'll tell you this much-

If I was working as a 3 year contracted sales associate for minimum with the possibility that I could be fired at any given moment (with or without merit) and I posted incredible sales figures, only to follow it up with even better sales numbers the next season..you bet your sweet ass I'm asking for a raise, regardless of what the contract says.

I'd expect anyone else to do the same.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:51 am

awwchrist wrote:Shanahan didn't make a stand when terrell davis held out...so why in this instance?

Bagel, how's Portis supposed to sign a 10mil contract when he was drafted in the 2nd round? After a year where Denver already posted a 1,000 yd rusher?

I'll tell you this much-

If I was working as a 3 year contracted sales associate for minimum with the possibility that I could be fired at any given moment (with or without merit) and I posted incredible sales figures, only to follow it up with even better sales numbers the next season..you bet your sweet ass I'm asking for a raise, regardless of what the contract says.

I'd expect anyone else to do the same.

That about sums it up. Also factor in the average lifespan of an NFL running back. It makes sense for him to get his money now. We all agree he is underpaid for his performance. It's good for Portis, it's good for the Denver Broncos business. If they get a reputation as a team that won't pay players what they're worth, good players won't want to sign with them.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk