Portis Holdup - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Portis Holdup

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:40 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Ya see, couldn't any player drafted after the first round just sign a 7 year deal, that way if they end up crappy, they get 7 garunteed years of pay, if they break out, they can just hold out....

Where are you getting these terms security and guaranteed from? You can sign any contract you want and the team can let you go. Contracts aren't guaranteed. If a team can drop a player and save on the salary, a low paid player should be allowed to hold out and demand a better salary. Case closed.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:43 pm

If a team cuts a player, they incur penalties and owe them money, you can't just cut him and pretend he was never there...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:51 pm

KingGhidra wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:Ya see, couldn't any player drafted after the first round just sign a 7 year deal, that way if they end up crappy, they get 7 garunteed years of pay, if they break out, they can just hold out....

Where are you getting these terms security and guaranteed from? You can sign any contract you want and the team can let you go. Contracts aren't guaranteed. If a team can drop a player and save on the salary, a low paid player should be allowed to hold out and demand a better salary. Case closed.

Bagel's right, there are things called cap penalties. That is why you hear that if they would drop or trade Warner they would still take a cap hit. That is why some people are held on to way longer than they should be. I am not possitive about football but I think in baseball if you drop somebody you have to pay part of his salary until he is signed byt another team.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:46 pm

Free Bagel wrote:If a team cuts a player, they incur penalties and owe them money, you can't just cut him and pretend he was never there...

To my knowledge, the only thing a team owes a player is his signing bonus. If a player counts against the cap, that money isn't paid to the player, it's just money they can't spend on someone for a year or two. They still have the money. Or to sum it up, the player still isn't being paid. No job security, no 7 year safe guaranteed contract. If you're cut, you don't get paid.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Great Gambini » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:07 pm

Portis is definitely an impact player. For some ODD reason, his 5 TD Game sticks out in my head. You're right, it's not that big of a deal, and anyone could do that.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Great Gambini » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:08 pm

Portis is definitely an impact player. For some ODD reason, his 5 TD Game sticks out in my head. You're right, it's not that big of a deal, and anyone could do that.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:47 am

You're right about the signing bonus.
Michael Strahan said "You sign a contract with the expectation you're only going to get the signing bonus."
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk